• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Public Transport from Ponte De Lima to Santiago?

shaunaf25

Time of past OR future Camino
4 days of Frances way
Hi all,
I have some holidays from work so I have decided to walk a few days of the Camino starting in Porto. I want to finish walking in Ponte de lima. From there I am hoping to get public transport towards Spain to explore for 2 days before getting public transport back to Porto airport.

I have tried searching online but no success. Can anybody help advise?
On the otherhand if there are no trains or buses that will take me into Spain, is it possible to get a bus from Ponte de lima back down south to porto?

thank you in advance :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What Sabine writes. Take the bus from PdL to Valença walk over the international bridge-built George Eiffel from the Paris Eiffeltower - and you are in Spain.
From Valença you can take the train back to Porto. Ponte de Lima is the oldest town in Portugal and interesting enough to stay for a day or so.
Also Viana do Castelo is interesting for a day to visit and from there you can take the train back to Porto. There is a busconnection between PdL and VdC
From PdL is a bus to Porto via Viana do Castelo and the coastal motorway.
A tip. Once in Ponte de Lima take the bus to Braga. More interesting than the south of Galicia if you have two days only in Spain Except for places like Santiago or Pontevedra there is nothing interesting in that part of Galicia and both mentioned places are far away.
Braga is an old Roman town and has the world heritage sanctuary Bom Jesus do Monte . Very nice to visit. And from Braga its easy to get to Porto by train.
Your second day you could go to Guimarães , a medieval town where the royalty of Portugal started about 8 centuries ago. Beautiful town. And easy acces by train in one and half hour to Porto

Bom caminho

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree with Albertinho , after Ponte da Lima a visit to Braga is a wonderful idea. I spent a weekend there after finishing in Finisterre., most enjoyable.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back