• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Public transport from Vigo Airport to Viana do Castelo

CJ Grima

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2017
We will be arriving on Wednesday 4th October @ 9.30am at Vigo Airport and we would like to take a bus in the morning so that we can start walking in the afternoon from Viana do castelo, Portugal and take the coastal way up to Santiago. I did several searches but I could not find any specific bus that does the trip. The only way I found is by train but there is only one in the morning 9 am and one at 8pm from vigo to viana do castelo. Can anyone help please?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We will be arriving on Wednesday 4th October @ 9.30am at Vigo Airport and we would like to take a bus in the morning so that we can start walking in the afternoon from Viana do castelo, Portugal and take the coastal way up to Santiago. I did several searches but I could not find any specific bus that does the trip. The only way I found is by train but there is only one in the morning 9 am and one at 8pm from vigo to viana do castelo. Can anyone help please?
Hi!

I've never done it but if I needed to go from Vigo to Viana I would search for buses from Vigo to Tui and then buses/trains from Valença to Viana (and would walk from Tui to Valença).

Hope it helps,
Joana

Hi , check the following website and you probably find what you looking for.

www.Rome2rio.com

Wish you well,Peter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola!
I have taken s bus from Santiago to Viana do Castelo a couple of times.
You have to get to the bus station in Vigo and see the time tables. Some buses are direct some with a change in Tui or Valenca.
So when you get to Vigo or Valenca there might be more options from there.

So no worries!

You are correct there are only two international trains from Vigo to Porto. Easy to get a bus to Tui but I think you would have to walk across to Valenca where there are more regular trains. You could also stay on the bus toward A Guarda get off at Passaxe and get the ferry to Camina and then the train. We walked the coastal last week so did some research for that. The ferry doesn't go on Mondays.

Thanks for your helpful replies all of you. Now I have another question for those who can help. From where can we start the walk and stamps once we arrive in Viana do Castelo, hopefully in the afternoon?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lucky you planning to start from Viana do Castelo!

Viana do Castelo is a very nice seaside town with a pilgrim albergue, S. João da Cruz dos Caminhos. However if you are searching for private accommodation, consider the OLarenjeiro, rua Rua Manuel Espregueira, 24. It is a charming newly furnished small place with a very good dining room. Just before Christmas 2014 a double room with private bath and delicious breakfast was 45 euros. Quite a bargain!

If you have time do visit the Iron Age/Roman archeological site/museum at Citania de Santa Luzia on top of the famous hill in Viana do Castelo. The castro ruins are fascinating and the view up and down the coast breathtaking. Located just behind the pousada/ hotel and Santa Lucia church on the same hill you can take either a local bus or funicular to mount the hill.

Bom caminho!

Thanks for your helpful replies all of you. Now I have another question for those who can help. From where can we start the walk and stamps once we arrive in Viana do Castelo, hopefully in the afternoon?
There is a stamp in the cathedral just to the right inside, if there is no one at the table look around as there is somebody there. Follow the shells on the poles from there. They point in the direction you need to walk,look carefully as the first left one is just up the street from the square Republica. There is a hostel about 6k out and the in Ancora @ 16 k don't know what type as we walked to Caminha.

There is a stamp in the cathedral just to the right inside, if there is no one at the table look around as there is somebody there. Follow the shells on the poles from there. They point in the direction you need to walk,look carefully as the first left one is just up the street from the square Republica. There is a hostel about 6k out and the in Ancora @ 16 k don't know what type as we walked to Caminha.
Viana is a lovely town and well worth staying the night and going straight to Caminha @ 28k. We went up the funicular to St Lucia, and got a really nice stamp there, around the back of the church to the right.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back