Public transport on Primitivo?

Rich1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (5/15)
Frances & Muxia (2016-18)
Camino from Madrid (9/18)
Frances to Burgos (9/19)
TBC
Leave tomorrow for the Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo triad which was all fine.

Have now arranged to meet Miss Rich in Lugo/Sarria and walk the last bit of the Francés together.

If I end up short of Lugo (for bus to Sarria) is there any public transport from further north on the Primitivo?

Cheers

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @Rich1, @Tia Valeria shared this information when I was on the Primitivo a few years ago:

There are 3 buses a day from A Fonsagrada to Lugo. If you ask the times in the informaion office it is worth checking the times in the various villages. We caught the mid-day bus in Paradavella after eating in the 'Argentine' cafe-bar. There is also a bar in Paradavella where the bus stops. We took it to Cadavo but were only shortening the stage. There is a nearly morning and also an evening bus - but do check the times as this is information from 2012.

I can also confirm (as @Tincatinker says above) that there are buses from Castroverde to Lugo. My husband used the service in 2015.

Another option to consider - if you decide after the Salvador that your timings are a bit tight, you could take the Feve train from Oviedo to Grado.

Wishing you a Buen Camino!

There are regular bus-services on most parts of the Primitivo. Except on the Francés before Burgos I never saw people using the bus that frequently on my caminos before than this year on the Primitivo. Rome2rio is the Website which leads you to bus enterprises and schedules.

But there is one thing I can not understand: Why don´t you meet up with your wife in Lugo and do Lugo-Santiago? Lugo is such a nice town with the Roman walls, the cathedral...
It also qualifies for a compostela, there is enough accomodation and it is not as crowded as Sarria-Santiago.

BC
Alexandra

But there is one thing I can not understand: Why don´t you meet up with your wife in Lugo and do Lugo-Santiago? Lugo is such a nice town with the Roman walls, the cathedral...
It also qualifies for a compostela, there is enough accomodation and it is not as crowded as Sarria-Santiago.
BC
Alexandra

Thanks

Several people have suggested starting in Logo but my understanding was that Lugo to SdM doesn't qualify for a compostela.

I agree the Frances will be far more crowded but Sarria to Melide is very picturesque. Plus, it my daughters first Camino experience and she might prefer it being busy!! If it was just me I'd obviouslyrics keep on going from Lugo bout I think I will give her the choice

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Lugo to Santiago completes a 100km journey as far as the Pilgrims Office is concerned. Just get your two stamps per day.

If you follow the Camino Verde, that small but extremely enjoyable diversion from the direct line to Melide, you'll extend your distance.

It is still just over 100kms if the first stamp is from the bus/train station area, before entering Lugo through the gate in the wall.
If time is tight from Oviedo there is an ALSA bus through to Grandas de Salime which passes through many of the villages on the Primitivo. It used to leave Oviedo around 14.00 (2pm) 6 days a week. Stopped in Pola de Allende around 17.00 (5pm). It might be worth checking if it still runs like this and where its stages are to compare with the Primitivo accommodation.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back