• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Public transportation to SJPP?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
SJPdP is connected by:

SNCF TER train from Gare de Bayonne.

Transports64 bus Gare de Bayonne and Orthez (both requiring transfer at St Palais).

The closest airport to SJPdP is located at Biarritz BIQ. Chronoplus bus #14 connects Anglet airport to Gare Bayonne.

CONDA (ALSA) bus from San Sebastian via Pamplona. Sometimes (summer) a bus from San Sebastian goes to SJPdP via Biarritz Airport.

Major airports with rail and bus connections to Bayonne and Pamplona include Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao, and Bordeaux. Biarritz Airport has connections to several major European ports including London and Dublin via discount airlines.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hi
At the end of April how do I get to sjpdp by public transportation?
Thank you

There is a train/bus combo from Bayonne to Saint-Jean. Maybe the train goes all of the way now, but when I took it last summer, a landslide had covered part of the tracks, so the train ran partway, and then they switched us to a bus. The ticket costs only a few euros, six if I remember correctly.

Tracks were repaired in November 2015.

Price for the train from Bayonne to SJPdP is approx 10 euro.

hi
At the end of April how do I get to sjpdp by public transportation?
Thank you

I am flying to Paris and then taking the train to Bayonne where I will spend the night.
The next morning I will take the local train to SJpdp.
Best to get your reservation to Bayonne in advance.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Go to a GOOD travel agent, try to arrange a flight to Paris with return from Madrid using the same airline, Air France or Iberia won't work but you know which one, not considered two oneway flights but still not cheap. Should you try it alone on the internet, you will be skinned alive price-wise.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am landing in Paris, taking the Eurolines bus overnight to Bayonne, spending the morning there and then of to SJPdP for a sleep and then walking on the day after that.

I haven't decided yet
Last year I flew from LAX to CDG on an AF 380, the new, big Airbus passenger plane. Once I got to CDG, I had a few hours to catch the train to Bayonne from the station at CDG. I had planned to fly to Biarritz that day, but there was a French air traffic strike. So I took the train, buying first class tickets. EasyJet later refunded my airfare and the cost of my first class train tickets, even though I did not ask them to!
FWIW, if I were to make this journey again, I would not fly to Biarritz/Bayonne, but just take the train.
The Air France flight was very nice and the flight attendants were very helpful in getting me oriented in the terminal, as CDG is very big!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Heyho,
I am trying to figure out how to get from Bayonne to SJPDP this Friday (18 Febuary).
I find the pdf above kinda helpful and kinda confusing - all information I gathered about this bus/train are kinda confusing^^
How is it that that the schedule is different in the second week of march from the third week of march??
I arrive in Bayonne at the bus station at 10am and was hoping to immediately travel on to SJPDP to eventually start walking in the direction of Valcarlos.
In the one week there is a bus at 11:10 on Fridaysand in another there is nothing until nearly 2pm.
Could anyone help me Newbie out? :)
I will basically see it in Bayonne anyway, but I wouldn't mind knowing what to expect :)

Thank you lovelies!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Heyho,
I am trying to figure out how to get from Bayonne to SJPDP this Friday (18 Febuary).
I find the pdf above kinda helpful and kinda confusing - all information I gathered about this bus/train are kinda confusing^^
How is it that that the schedule is different in the second week of march from the third week of march??
I arrive in Bayonne at the bus station at 10am and was hoping to immediately travel on to SJPDP to eventually start walking in the direction of Valcarlos.
In the one week there is a bus at 11:10 on Fridaysand in another there is nothing until nearly 2pm.
Could anyone help me Newbie out? :)
I will basically see it in Bayonne anyway, but I wouldn't mind knowing what to expect :)

Thank you lovelies!

As far as I am aware there is no bus station in Bayonne. Where are you traveling from and with what bus line? The important bit is about how to get from where your bus drops you to the train station.

The pdf you are referring to is a temporary schedule involving buses in place of trains while work is done on the tracks. Usually the trains run at the same time as the buses.

I am coming with the pesa bus from bilbao and just assumed that I'd be dropped off at some kind of bus station :)
I'll be in Bayonne at 10am and was hoping that I would be in SJPDP early and could be in Valcarlos in the evening, but there is no real rush, so I'll just see how it goes and might stay the night in SJPDP :)
According to the PDF I might be able to get the 11:10am bus/train thing.
Just realised now anyway, that one week is from Bayonne to SJPDP and the other one is the return in the pdf - silly me :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am coming with the pesa bus from bilbao and just assumed that I'd be dropped off at some kind of bus station :)
I'll be in Bayonne at 10am and was hoping that I would be in SJPDP early and could be in Valcarlos in the evening, but there is no real rush, so I'll just see how it goes and might stay the night in SJPDP :)
According to the PDF I might be able to get the 11:10am bus/train thing.
Just realised now anyway, that one week is from Bayonne to SJPDP and the other one is the return in the pdf - silly me :D

PESA goes to Place de Basques. Its about 1 km and across the river from Gare Bayonne.

You can walk or try to figure out the local bus system.

Chronoplus provides local bus service. The bus map is a good map for purpose of finding your way on foot.
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

Chronoplus map
http://www.chronoplus.eu/ftp/documents/Chronoplus_Plan_Poche_2015-2016.pdf

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back