A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Publicly humiliated for snoring

2020 Camino Guides

DebraS.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances June/ July (2015) - incomplete
Frances June (2018)
I know this won't be an option for many, but a travel strategy I've developed is using my old iPod loaded with music I enjoy. Long flights, snoring, etc....my music always does the trick.
I do this a lot, especially on airplanes. But once someone complained that they could hear the music through my earpiece sitting next to me. So I worry that it might bother someone.

There are probably more snorers than non-snorers, especially after a long hard hot day of walking.

cher99840

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2013, 2017 Camino Frances SJPP-Santiago
2015 St. Olav's Way Oslo-Trondheim
2017 VdlP Seville-Merida
I do this a lot, especially on airplanes. But once someone complained that they could hear the music through my earpiece sitting next to me. So I worry that it might bother someone.

There are probably more snorers than non-snorers, especially after a long hard hot day of walking.
Some earbuds/headphones "leak" and that is annoying, but you could shop for a set that doesn't. I use my phone with earbuds and listen to audiobooks to drown out the noise around me quite often.

DebraS.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances June/ July (2015) - incomplete
Frances June (2018)
Some earbuds/headphones "leak" and that is annoying, but you could shop for a set that doesn't. I use my phone with earbuds and listen to audiobooks to drown out the noise around me quite often.
Thanks, I will do some checking around for better plugs. Now, if anyone has a suggestion for how to stop me from talking in my sleep? :confused: Too many times I've been woken by someone just to tell me to shut up and go to sleep. :D

cher99840

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2013, 2017 Camino Frances SJPP-Santiago
2015 St. Olav's Way Oslo-Trondheim
2017 VdlP Seville-Merida
Thanks, I will do some checking around for better plugs. Now, if anyone has a suggestion for how to stop me from talking in my sleep? :confused: Too many times I've been woken by someone just to tell me to shut up and go to sleep. :D
Funny...maybe if you are listening to something you won't be talking. :p I like the quotes in your signature. All great.

tploomis

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Sept. to Nov., 2013
If snorers bothered me, it only meant I hadn't walked enough that day.

majormarco

Camino(s) past & future
may 2015
This is day 7 for me. I'm a snorer, but I have a mouthpiece that really works.

Last night in El Burgo Ranero my mouthpiece came out and I guess I snored pretty loudly. My friend woke me up and I turned over and replaced my mouthpiece, and all was fine. I was so embarrassed by this, but that's not the worst of it.

Just now in Mansilla a Spanish woman met me on the stairs of the albergue. She started yelling at me in Spanish and demanded that I show her what bed I was assigned to.

I showed her and she then went to get her family, pointed me out to them and announced that she wanted to to go to the other albergue because she wasn't going to sleep with me in the room.

I have a hotel room tomorrow night in Leon. But I'm a bit shaken up by this.

I find ear plugs work well .Sometimes I can hardly hear myself snore.

Pickles100381

Camino(s) past & future
This is day 7 for me. I'm a snorer, but I have a mouthpiece that really works.

Last night in El Burgo Ranero my mouthpiece came out and I guess I snored pretty loudly. My friend woke me up and I turned over and replaced my mouthpiece, and all was fine. I was so embarrassed by this, but that's not the worst of it.

Just now in Mansilla a Spanish woman met me on the stairs of the albergue. She started yelling at me in Spanish and demanded that I show her what bed I was assigned to.

I showed her and she then went to get her family, pointed me out to them and announced that she wanted to to go to the other albergue because she wasn't going to sleep with me in the room.

I have a hotel room tomorrow night in Leon. But I'm a bit shaken up by this.
I'm sorry you were treated like that. I apparently snore myself, and I have had similar experiences where I was humiliated about it. There seems to be nothing I can really do to treat it, I even took a sleep study but I couldn't get a CPAP because I didn't have sleep apnea, and I can't use a mouthpiece because I already have one for teeth grinding. There is some kind of experimental surgery but of course that has risks. You know, it seems like there is not much support about this topic. I put in "humiliated about snoring" in Google and this was the only blog that came up. Everything else is about how snoring happens, how snoring affects others and ads for remedies that probably don't work. It is like the other person is the only innocent victim. I get it, since my mom snores too so loudly that she will wake me up if she shares a room with me. So I get it. But the snorer could suffer a lot of guilt, shame and embarrassment because of it. It really hurts. For me I found the best thing to do is try to get my own room, and if not, provide ear plugs for any roommates. If it's a huge room with a crowd of people then...I don't know! If someone says something rude and humiliates you as you said, tell them "That really is rude and hurts my feelings" and walk away, or "You know, people could say things about you, but they don't want to hurt your feelings" (Hint: That really hurt my feelings) or, if you feel especially sassy, "Well, you were farting overnight, and it smelled so bad that I didn't get any sleep either." There is someone I know who is always humiliating me in front of others about snoring, so I know how you feel. They think it's funny but it hurts my feelings. So I know how you feel. Remember my advice, chin up, keep being you and thanks for posting this. It helped me too. Thanks

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
I'm sorry you were treated like that. I apparently snore myself, and I have had similar experiences where I was humiliated about it. There seems to be nothing I can really do to treat it, I even took a sleep study but I couldn't get a CPAP because I didn't have sleep apnea, and I can't use a mouthpiece because I already have one for teeth grinding. There is some kind of experimental surgery but of course that has risks. You know, it seems like there is not much support about this topic. I put in "humiliated about snoring" in Google and this was the only blog that came up. Everything else is about how snoring happens, how snoring affects others and ads for remedies that probably don't work. It is like the other person is the only innocent victim. I get it, since my mom snores too so loudly that she will wake me up if she shares a room with me. So I get it. But the snorer could suffer a lot of guilt, shame and embarrassment because of it. It really hurts. For me I found the best thing to do is try to get my own room, and if not, provide ear plugs for any roommates. If it's a huge room with a crowd of people then...I don't know! If someone says something rude and humiliates you as you said, tell them "That really is rude and hurts my feelings" and walk away, or "You know, people could say things about you, but they don't want to hurt your feelings" (Hint: That really hurt my feelings) or, if you feel especially sassy, "Well, you were farting overnight, and it smelled so bad that I didn't get any sleep either." There is someone I know who is always humiliating me in front of others about snoring, so I know how you feel. They think it's funny but it hurts my feelings. So I know how you feel. Remember my advice, chin up, keep being you and thanks for posting this. It helped me too. Thanks
This thread is from 2013.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 318 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 92 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 363 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock