• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Publishing daily walk online

El Mayordomo

#MyLongWalk2019
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Invierno) 2019
I am building a blog for MyLongWalk2019 - https://mylongwalk2019.home.blog/ - and want to add a link for followers to see my daily walk details which I can upload at the end of the day from my Garmin Edge 810 or the Vivosport devices I have.

Currently both of the mapping services, Strava and MapmyWalk, as well as Garmin Connect, require an account and login to view.

Does anyone know of a website that allows 'guests' to view a walk that I have posted online or is this simply something that doesn't exist.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have another look at Garmin Connect; I believe that it contains a method to create a link that can then be shared to others with no requirement for the others to hold an account.

After an attempt at using MapMyWalks (which I found to be inconsistent), I have decided to use the Beacon Buddy system on the View Ranger app and companion website.

This also has the added benefit of providing mapping (like Maps.me, but paid for, though very high quality) if you want that, and you can probably sync a Garmin device with it as well (I haven't done that).

BUT you don't need to do any of that and can just use the GPS / Beacon Buddy tracker feature alone. I have used a Garmin watch for training but am leaving it at home now as it's just one more thing to charge.

The good thing about View Ranger is that you can provide a link from your website, using WordPress-friendly code generated by VR specifically for your Beacon, which gives a URL that takes users to a live tracking map. The person viewing doesn't need their own VR account or logins to access this map (I have tested this on the whole family).

You can set up the Beacon Buddy using your View Ranger user name and a PIN which you define.

For those who don't want to broadcast their whereabouts publicly on a blog, you don't have to. Just share your user name and PIN with the select few who you want and they can then use the website, or follow their Buddies in the app.

I think it could be a great way of keeping tabs on other friends on the Camino, though I appreciate that this wouldn't be to some people's taste.

But for example, I have a friend flying out from the UK to join me for a week and this will allow him to find me without too much difficulty.

I start the CF from SJPP on 8th April so will let you know if it lives up to expectations.

If you are interested feel free to DM me and we can have a chat on the phone and I'll walk you through it.

You might remember that we met over (or was that under (!!)) a coffee at the CSJ Practical Pilgrim do in London. Good luck with your preparations.

Buen Camino, Colin

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have now found WIKILOC.COM - which appears to tick all the boxes, automatically uploads from Garmin Connect.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.