• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Puente la Reina to Lourdes

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, has anyone done this recently? Or parts of it? How difficult was it going “backwards”?
Jill

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's a GR route, I did see the red and white marks going 'forward' on the Spanish side, which may be also set up to walk the other way, but don't quote me on that. The French side has markings both ways it will be just a matter of knowing when to turn off the Arles route to go eastward on the Piedmont route.

I see it is called the GR 65.3 in Spain. Does anyone know if the GR trails in Spain are marked in both directions, as they are in France?
Jill

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We walked from Lourdes to Jaca 2 years ago but we found the markings to be very poor. We had to use maps on our phone to guide us, and we wound up walking mostly on roads rather than trails. Still, it was a great experience. Jaca is a wonderful city to explore and the monasteries at San Juan de la Pena, especially the lower one, are amazing.

have you done aragonés the 'proper' way already? then you will probably remember some stretches, crossroads etc. if not, it usually works if you position yourself as if going the 'proper' way, inspect the signage and continue in the direction of your back.
I have seen very few red-white waymarkes in spain, those that I've seen were fading.

on all my french routes, I don't remember having problems with waymarking. they are descreet but they are there. (except that, when the route follows a road/track for a long time, there are sometimes no waymarks until you have to turn off that road/track.)

I much prefer the GR path going down the spanish side of the pyrenees to the 'new' route with the rusty poles. and also the GR65.3.1 variant after villanúa.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Would it be better to stay on the GR653 to Oloron-Ste-Marie and Pau to Maubourguet (and do a one-day touristy bus excursion to Lourdes from one of those places), rather than walk the GR78 (via Arudy and Asson) to Lourdes, and then the GR101 to Maubouguet to rejoin the Arles route?

Would like to visit Lourdes while in the area, but not sure of the best way to do that.
Jill

I didn't walk the oloron - arudy part, but arudy - lourdes was sufficiently waymarked. in both directions with GR waymarkes, and with the little blue square with a yellow scallop in the western direction. it was a lovely route across green pastures, small stone villages, and with the views of the high peaks.

there is another option. you can cross the pyrenees via col des moines on the western branch of voie d'ossau into vallée d'ossau. (eastern branch goes via portalet.) this is also sufficiently waymarked, except on the descent to astún I don't remember waymarks (though the path is pretty obvious). I slept in réfuge d'ayous and didn't walk the direct route from lac de bious-artigues to col des moines. this is a spectacular route, highly recommended. it is a mountain path with no exposed or dangerous parts. but do check the weather beforehand. and reserve the mountain refuges at least two days in advance. I called réfuge d'ayous four days in advance and got the last bed!

my tracks:
arudy - laruns: https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino2012-102-arudy-laruns-21857286
laruns - gabas: https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino2012-103-laruns-gabas-21858017
gabas - ayous: https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino2012-104-gabas-refuge-dayous-21749427
ayous - canfranc: https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino2012-105-refuge-dayous-canfranc-21750406

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will start from Puente la Reina about mid-March to Oloron Ste Marie. Can anyone recommend a downloadable app, as a guide, that will work in the reverse direction along the Camino Aragones?
Jill

I will start from Puente la Reina about mid-March to Oloron Ste Marie. Can anyone recommend a downloadable app, as a guide, that will work in the reverse direction along the Camino Aragones?
Jill
I used the Wise Pilgrim app but it is for going from Somport to Puenta la Reina. In France the topoguides look very good. We were using Miam Miam Dodo and the CSJ guidebooks.

I
Jill
I have discovered a GPS app for i-phone (also Android) that includes overlay maps for Caminos in Spain and GR routes in Spain.
It’s called GAIA GPS. I used it in France in 2018 along the Via Francigena with trouble free results.
I bought a premium subscription ($32 US), did my routing on the computer and the program automatically downloads them to my iPhone.
The app uses the iPhone’s GPS and requires no internet connection. It functions on Airplane mode and runs all day in one charge.
I just followed my route on the iPhone. Brilliant!
I highly recommend it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
maps.me iPhone app allows you to plan walking routes on a map using your phone WITHOUT cell service. It’s free and worked great even though it’s not specifically “Camino-based”. Highly recommend it for less-traveled routes like the Aragones.

Most read last week in this forum

I got a WhatsApp a little bit ago and also saw here on the forum that @Vacajoe posted that the pilgrim albergue in Canfranc Pueblo will be opening April 16.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back