• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Puente le Reina ‘German Church’

Hurry Krishna

Indian on the Way
Time of past OR future Camino
2009 (from Sarria), 2014 from St Jean Pied de Port, 2016 from Porto, 2018 from Le Puy to Santiago.
I think most of you will remember the unusually stark Iglesia del Crucifijo. This is a link to a picture of the doorway 1574150358158.jpeg Does anyone know what this king of structure is called? Or how would you describe this architectural style? Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yip, it's called romanesque or roman style.
The oldest parts of this church dated back to the 11th Century.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Church of the Crucifijo and across the pathway named, Le Calle del Crucifijo, the related convent/school and albergue now run by the Padres Reparadores have been most important in the long history of Puente La Reina. Read more here in Spanish or English

Last edited:
Yip, it's called romanesque or roman style.
The oldest parts of this church dated back to the 11th Century.

Sorry for hair-splitting @Roland49 but only Romanesque is correct, 'Roman style' would be used to describe much earlier buildings from the time of the Roman Empire ...

BC SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
only Romanesque is correct, 'Roman style' would be used to describe much earlier buildings from the time of the Roman Empire ...
And it's perhaps useful to mention in this context the Spanish terms:
  • Romano - related to Roman art and Roman buildings. In Spain, from about 200 BC until about 400 AC.
  • Románico - related to Romanesque art and Romanesque buildings. In Christian Spain, roughly during the period 1050-1250.
Roman bridges and Romanesque bridges are frequently confused with each other; they can look quite similar.

Sorry for hair-splitting @Roland49 but only Romanesque is correct, 'Roman style' would be used to describe much earlier buildings from the time of the Roman Empire ...

BC SY
Thanks for clarifying and sorting it out. :)

No hair-splitting for me. After a quick research I do know now where to draw the line between romanesque and roman.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I believe the arched structure over the doors are called "archivolts."
Arquivoltas in Spanish. Most, if not all, that I have seen in Spain are recessed one within another rather than lying all within the same plane.

The old monastery of San Juan de la Pena has mixed architecture going back to romaneque. Here are pictures of three types of arches found there. The romaneque semi- circular, the mozarabic horseshoe shaped arch and a gothic style pointed arch.
IMG_20191104_133433.jpg
IMG_20191104_133337.jpg
IMG_20191104_130628.jpg

I think most of you will remember the unusually stark Iglesia del Crucifijo. This is a link to a picture of the doorway View attachment 66805 Does anyone know what this king of structure is called? Or how would you describe this architectural style? Thanks
This may help you. This archway is definitely a Gothic style of architecture because of the pointed arch. Romanesque features rounded arches. https://www.thoughtco.com/architecture-timeline-historic-periods-styles-175996

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It looks awful Gothic to me. Unless the pointy arch is a hallucination and it's actually rounded. But @Kathar1na, you're generally right about such things. What am I missing?
I can't give you a proper explanation other than that it is not Gothic but Romanesque and I didn't even read up on this particular church 😇. The pointy arch alone doesn't make it Gothic. Also, the transition from Romanesque to Gothic didn't work in the same way everywhere (and obviously not at the same time everywhere). We are talking about Spain here and not the North of France. All I can offer right now is a copy-paste extract (see below) from an Arteguias course about Romanesque art in Spain; it shows a Romanesque portal of a church in Palencia as an example. I should have something more detailed about pointed arches and Romanesque churches in Spain but it's somewhere in a backup file ...

Ayuda.jpg

I can't give you a proper explanation other than that it is not Gothic but Romanesque and I didn't even read up on this particular church 😇. The pointy arch alone doesn't make it Gothic. Also, the transition from Romanesque to Gothic didn't work in the same way everywhere (and obviously not at the same time everywhere). We are talking about Spain here and not the North of France. All I can offer right now is a copy-paste extract (see below) from an Arteguias course about Romanesque art in Spain; it shows a Romanesque portal of a church in Palencia as an example. I should have something more detailed about pointed arches and Romanesque churches in Spain but it's somewhere in a backup file ...

View attachment 66816

The portal looks like late romaneque when the gothic style was being developed. Below is an English translation of

The late Romanesque is the third stage of Romanesque art arranged in this way by the historiography of Romanesque. Chronologically it is distributed from the end of the full Romanesque (second half of the twelfth century) to the first quarter of the thirteenth century when Gothic art begins to triumph . This era is the most active construction of monasteries of Cistercian monks .

Features
The pointed arches begin to appear, at first as a simple constructive resource and later as ornamental art. Almost all the churches of the monasteries of the Cistercian are built with these arches at the same time that the heavy buttresses and the half-point arches typical of the Romanesque plenary are still used.

A direct inspiration is detected in the works of Antiquity as well as Byzantine aesthetic values along with an idealized naturalism demonstrated in the interest in Nature.

This evolution in art can also be seen in sculpture. As an example, the Portico de la Gloria of the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, which has characteristics that allow it to be considered as a Romanesque work of transition to the Gothic.

In front of the Romanesque statue-column first, you can see a change in the proportion of the characters, and a communication between them. The figure of the late Romanesque begins a process of individualization by which each acquires a series of characteristics, such as the arrangement of their dresses, or the features of their faces.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@VNwalking You might want to have a second look at the second work (should have been word) in your post above ;-) but it put a smile on my face ;-) BC SY

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I had never heard this church called the "German Church" till I came across this thread. Of course, I googled to find out why the OP had called it that. I found that there is a connection, but not enough to call it the German church (imo). Since nobody else has raised the question, maybe I'm wrong?

Since nobody else has raised the question, maybe I'm wrong?
You are not wrong. As you no doubt know the (for Spain apparently unique) crucifix inside the church - a crucifix that is Gothic beyond any doubt ☺ - has a story according to which"German" pilgrims brought this crucifix to Puente la Reina. I put quotation marks around "German" because they are supposed to be pilgrims from the Rhineland area; Germany as such didn't exist in those days. This area was a feeder area for pilgrims to Santiago, just like the Benelux countries nearby.

I looked a bit closer into all this and as so often I now have my doubts about this legend about the Rhineland pilgrims carrying this cross all the way to Puente la Reina or even to Santiago and back. The cross is Y-shaped which is unusual; it is called a forked cross or crucifixus dolorosus as it emphasises the pain and suffering of the Passion. According to the EN and DE articles in Wikipedia which seem to be well researched, it is possible that the original forked crosses that can be found still today in the Rhineland area were not locally created but were imported from Italy or carved by itinerant craftsmen. So it is quite possible that there is not much of a "German" connection in this iglesia in Puente la Reina at all.

It pains me that I didn't visit the church and didn't see it. For reasons too boring to explain we walked on the main road to our accommodation and while we later explored Puente la Reina we never walked so far back again. We spent time looking for the "black Santiago" (Santiago beltza) in one of the other churches and didn't find him either. Either he was on loan or he isn't black anymore as I think the statue had been restored and cleaned and the guidebook I had was not up to date. 😅. Ah, I've put them on the list for the big road trip to Santiago that I might do one day ...

I had never heard this church called the "German Church" till I came across this thread. Of course, I googled to find out why the OP had called it that. I found that there is a connection, but not enough to call it the German church (imo). Since nobody else has raised the question, maybe I'm wrong?
Post Roman Occupation and pre Moorish invasion A lot of Spain was under Germanic Goth/Visigoth control. There are one or two Visigoth churches in Barcelona and Santa Maria de Lara near Burgos. May have nothing to do with the German Church, but what the heck:-}

A selection of Camino Jewellery
May have nothing to do with the German Church, but what the heck:-}
:). German and Germanic isn't the same, the Angles, the Jutes and the Saxons ("Anglo-Saxons") were Germanic, too 🙃. Your comment made me look up the wanderings of the Visigoths and the Ostrogoths again. They were all over the place but never really in the area that is Germany. The map shown below is from the SPIEGEL magazine but easy to understand: the movements of the Goths (Goten) who split into Visigoths (Westgoten) and Ostrogoths (Ostgoten) is marked in green; the Roman empire and Roman influenced areas are marked in an earth tone. It was my limited knowledge about this period of time - called Migration Period or Völkerwanderung (literally: "Peoples' Walk") or Invasion of the Barbarians, depending on one's viewpoint - that contributed to my idea of walking to Santiago. I had never really thought about how long it takes to cover such distances. Amazingly little time, as it turned out 🙃.
Goths.jpg

Last edited:
I think most of you will remember the unusually stark Iglesia del Crucifijo. This is a link to a picture of the doorway View attachment 66805 Does anyone know what this king of structure is called? Or how would you describe this architectural style? Thanks
Is there a small primer on the distinguishing characteristics of each style of architecture?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A fun read is 'Europe 101: History and Art for the Traveller' by Steves & Openshaw. Probably gives as much as the casual observer would want to know, or is a fun intro.

Like most invading armies at that time, the Visigoths intermarried with the local nobility and became the co-ancestors of the kings and queens who held the northern kingdoms against the Arab invaders.

I googled "the german church" with "puente la reina" and obtained 75 results. The only one in which the Church of the Crucifix was referred to as "The German Church" was the first one, the post at the top of this page. I am left to wonder where did the OP find this rather rare description?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back