Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Puerto de la Pedraja

peterhore

Peter Hore
Past OR future Camino
SJPD-Burgos 2012/13 …. suspended the VdlP in Fuente de Cantos 3/20
Puerto de la Pedraja is in the Montes de Oca, between Belorado and San Juan de Ortega.
If memory serves me right there are two monuments there to the dead of the Spanish Civil War - does anyone please have phots of these or copies of the inscriptions on these?
Thank you
Peter

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Marc S.

Past OR future Camino
Since 2012: CF, CdN, CP, Salvador, Aragones, Via Regia, Elisabethpfad, Jakobsweg NRW, Jakibspaad.
And this is a photo of the inscription.

(I took it from this website article, with some more background information - it is in French though)

Attachments

• monument.jpg
    monument.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Rowena

Past OR future Camino
Frances(2015, 2018) Le Puy-SJPP(2016) Geneva Way(2017) Portugués Muxia Fisterra(2019) Invierno(2021)
Yes there are two mass graves there. Here’s what I have for the monument.

44BB919E-FEE5-4B72-B776-454BEE9E84D2.jpeg B0DE798E-6F2A-4E03-8CAF-FEF68DCBD7CF.jpeg

Rowena

Past OR future Camino
Frances(2015, 2018) Le Puy-SJPP(2016) Geneva Way(2017) Portugués Muxia Fisterra(2019) Invierno(2021)
A05F3046-2EF1-471F-9358-AE03A76A9923.jpeg 4C468B24-8B0B-4548-9299-CA690D659071.jpeg B025F2BF-5807-4BEF-AD7B-A3EA812CDE7F.jpeg

Here is the second mass grave, with the explanation, and a view of the explanation of the mass grave beside the monument. That one is too small to read though.

Rowena

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Past OR future Camino
Puerto de la Pedraja is in the Montes de Oca, between Belorado and San Juan de Ortega.
If memory serves me right there are two monuments there to the dead of the Spanish Civil War - does anyone please have phots of these or copies of the inscriptions on these?
Thank you
Peter
This is the only one I have. Hope it is of use to you.
Buen Camino
Vince

Attachments

• DSCF2720.JPG
    DSCF2720.JPG
    463 KB · Views: 12

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Even today, I know the Spanish Civil War is a very, very sensitive issue in Spain. Even though I am an American it has very special personal importance to me. My father fought in the Abraham Lincoln Brigade when he was 20 years old. Even though we grew up in what was then called lower middle class my dad sent money to another wounded comrade who was severely wounded and lived in a nursing home in France and was soldier in the Republican Army. When I came across these monuments on my first camino it was a very intense moment for me.
I never knew my dad was in Spain until I saw a photo of him among a group of Lincoln Brigade members in a book about the Civil War. When I showed it to him he broke down but still told me very little and said it was too hard for him to talk about. He said in some ways it was harder for him than World War 2. He never talked about his experiences there either.

peterhore

Peter Hore
Past OR future Camino
SJPD-Burgos 2012/13 …. suspended the VdlP in Fuente de Cantos 3/20
Many thanks for the pictures and the reminiscence. Much honour and sympathy to your father,
It56ny. When I arrived here I wondered why the bench was pointing up the hill and not looking out across the valley. Presumably it's facing that way so that visitors can sit and contemplate what happened in 1936. From the inscription, I gather that the second grave was discovered during improvements (ampliacion) to the Camino. I think pilgrims should be reminded of man's inhumanity to man as they pass places like this.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads