• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Puerto De Pajares

Antonius Vaessen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2016 VdlPlata - Sanabres
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
I've been reading a long thread about the safest way to walk to Pajares. There seem to be three alternatives to avoid walking alongside the busy road. That this is dangerous I saw last year when I drove over this road and saw that indeed there is no space for walkers. The thread I read dates from 2013. Is the situation now more clear? My main question is whether the path at the left side of the road that starts near the old Parador ( Also referred to as " the schoolkids path" is easy to find and follow and is dangerous. On the basis of the information so far I'm inclined to opt for the option to the right of the road and follow the description in Enders guide.
Can anybody give more information please. ( Probably this is not very important, following Enders guide will get me safely to Pajares. The long thread, the energy that people put in it by sending photos, maps and so on surely did intrigue me.)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Antonius. The Puerto Pajares thread is one of my favorte threads on the forum as well ! It did get me a bit too worried however, about finding my way, which was not really necessary. I walked the Salvador in 2015 and did not find it too complicated. In Puerto de Pajares on the main road, there is a sign leading to the right. When you follow this he path goes uphill and then downhill again and then you have to cross the main road and the path continues, it goes left from the main road. Well this is what my fellow pilgrims did. Stubborn me decided to follow the main road from Puerto Pajares for 500 meters, and then turn left. (there wasn't that much traffic at the time, so lets not exaggarate the risks) So... remember we are only dealing with a short stretch here, so even if you do get lost, it can never be too bad. I am sure you will find your way. Buen Camino !

I've walked that piece of camino several times, in all kinds of weather. Even wrote a guide to it, many moons ago.
If I do it again, I will opt again for that 500 meters of roadside, with a quick left turn onto the camino path, across from the runaway truck ramp.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...
(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.