• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Purchase hiking stick in Lisbon

Llew

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/Fin 2012, Norte/Ingles 2015, Port/Fin 2022
Does anyone know where a wooden hiking stick can be purchased in Lisbon please.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Never seen them in Portugal. The Caminho para Santiago does not appeal much to the Portuguese as it does to the caminho para Fátima. And as they walk to Fátima they travel light with daypacks and sportshoes and take the shortest way, when needed on the shoulder of national roads. The caminho culture as known in Spain is totally different . Even a St James shell I have never seen, others than on the fishmarket.

I bought telescope poles there in one of the Sport Zone stores. But wood... Maybe make your own (easy job) when you see bamboo. I would use a glove then, though.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Near the Lisbon Cathedral, they have a street market where the locals sell clothes, antiques, and random knickknacks. I recall a booth or two selling wooden poles, but I didn't much pay attention to the price or quality, because I already had a trekking pole. If you have a few days in Lisbon, check out that street market.

Does anyone know where a wooden hiking stick can be purchased in Lisbon please.

Hi, buy a cheap broom and unscrew or cut off the broom bit.

Personally, I would walk until I found a stick in the woods somewhere along the trail.

Jill

Near the Lisbon Cathedral, they have a street market where the locals sell clothes, antiques, and random knickknacks. I recall a booth or two selling wooden poles, but I didn't much pay attention to the price or quality, because I already had a trekking pole. If you have a few days in Lisbon, check out that street market.

I assume you're talking about the feira da ladra, which is a twice-weekly flea market in Alfama. For the OP, this flea market takes place on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Here's some information about it in English.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for the info.

Hi, buy a cheap broom and unscrew or cut off the broom bit.

Personally, I would walk until I found a stick in the woods somewhere along the trail.

Jill
Thanks Jill. The sticks I have seen along the trail on previous camino's have never inspired me but who knows. I may get lucky. I was hoping that a city the size of Lisbon would have a camping/sports store that sold hiking poles. Other places I have started in I have been able to purchase one.

Well, hiking poles are one thing, a wooden stick is another. There is a Decathlon fairly central in Lisbon next to El Corte Inglés where you could get standard adjustable hiking poles. There's also a North Face even more centrally located in Santa Catarina which may have them. I live five minutes' walk from the North Face so I could see if they have regular hiking poles if you like, but they won't have wooden ones.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a mall near the Youth Hostel (Pousada) next to the Park of the Nations. There I bought my pack, but I did not look for sticks. I do remember that I walked past bamboo pretty soon after Lisbon. It is light and you could easily make a hiking stick. There are no real hills to scale until well into the camino, so you may appreciate having your hands free and walk without a stick.

Well, hiking poles are one thing, a wooden stick is another. There is a Decathlon fairly central in Lisbon next to El Corte Inglés where you could get standard adjustable hiking poles. There's also a North Face even more centrally located in Santa Catarina which may have them. I live five minutes' walk from the North Face so I could see if they have regular hiking poles if you like, but they won't have wooden ones.
Thanks Nick. Would appreciate you having a look and letting me know.

There is a mall near the Youth Hostel (Pousada) next to the Park of the Nations. There I bought my pack, but I did not look for sticks. I do remember that I walked past bamboo pretty soon after Lisbon. It is light and you could easily make a hiking stick. There are no real hills to scale until well into the camino, so you may appreciate having your hands free and walk without a stick.
Thanks Jakke. I plan on staying at Pousada when I arrive 17 May so will have a look.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Nick. Would appreciate you having a look and letting me know.

I went into North Face today but it's a small shop and they don't have walking sticks of any kind. But anyway, if you're staying at the HI Hostel near Picoas metro stop, you're only an eight-minute walk from Decathlon which I'm sure will have alumin(i)um adjustable hiking poles. I doubt they'd have wooden ones but they're as good a chance as any shop in Lisbon, I suppose. Boa sorte e bom caminho!

Thanks Nick. Appreciate you doing that.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Will not get to see the market as as arrive thursday and start walking friday.
To all who posted, thanks for your help.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.