• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Purchase of a Swiss Army Knife

Harv

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2018
We are flying in to SDC Sept 22 and travelling approximately to O Cebreiro to start our limited-time Camino adventure. We would like to bring a Swiss Army knife along with us but of course that is impossible on the airplane. Can someone suggest a place to buy one in SDC? Or is anyone arriving in SDC at that time and want to sell theirs? (if you are unable to board a plane with it?) Cheers Harvey and Barb

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We are flying in to SDC Sept 22 and travelling approximately to O Cebreiro to start our limited-time Camino adventure. We would like to bring a Swiss Army knife along with us but of course that is impossible on the airplane. Can someone suggest a place to buy one in SDC? Or is anyone arriving in SDC at that time and want to sell theirs? (if you are unable to board a plane with it?) Cheers Harvey and Barb

you CAN bring a swiss army knife providing it is securely stashed away in your hold luggage. it is obviously NOT allowed in cabin luggage. perhaps the pilgrim office could help you with shops in Santiago? There is an excellent shop in Ponferrada but you haven't said exactly where u are starting from. Good luck anyway! :) the malingerer.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Whether I bought one in SJPdP, had checked baggage, or mailed it .... I always used a Swiss Army knife.

I use the scissors. New reason every time.

I ALWAYS use the knife for cooking.

I (very frequently) use the corkscrew (my wine and others).

I (very sadly) had to leave it in Santiago when I travel home.

Some one in Santiago should have a Hiking Pole Swiss Army Knife drop off.
Both these items could be recycled to SJPdP .

Whether I bought one in SJPdP, had checked baggage, or mailed it .... I always used a Swiss Army knife.

I use the scissors. New reason every time.

I ALWAYS use the knife for cooking.

I (very frequently) use the corkscrew (my wine and others).

I (very sadly) had to leave it in Santiago when I travel home.

Some one in Santiago should have a Hiking Pole Swiss Army Knife drop off.
Both these items could be recycled to SJPdP .

Thanks for your comments and will continue to monitor this forum.

I do normally use one and we do not want to check our backpacks just to accommodate a knife. I will talk with persons at the tourist office in SDC for more options. Also Ponferrada is a bit more distance than we have time to devote to the Camino this time around. Great thought thanks. Love the problem solving on this forum. Thank you

Hi, Harv and welcome to the Forum :)

Did you try Google to check for sports shops in SdC? Hardware stores would also be a place to look. I do believe there is a Decathlon store there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are Decathlon stores near or in every large Spanish town or city. Specifically Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada, Santiago, on the Frances. Check www.decathlon.es for tienda locations...

NOTE: They recently opened in California here in the US. Access internet sales at www.decathlon.com. IMHO they opened in CA first, as the supply chain from SE Asia production locations makes logical sense. Not everything comes from China. In fact, a lot comes from Europe...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
you CAN bring a swiss army knife providing it is securely stashed away in your hold luggage. it is obviously NOT allowed in cabin luggage. perhaps the pilgrim office could help you with shops in Santiago? There is an excellent shop in Ponferrada but you haven't said exactly where u are starting from. Good luck anyway! :) the malingerer.
We will be starting in Ponferrada and have a few needs. What store are you referencing. Thanks.

When last I flew out of Santiago, I completely forgot to pack my Swiss army knife in my hold luggage. While going through the security check the knife was spotted as my carry-on bag went through x-ray. The security guard removed it from my bag, opened the blade and measured it against a ruler set into his desk that was just about the exact length of the blade. With that done, he closed the blade and handed it back to me.

Santiago airport clearly has a policy relating to size and type of knife that can be carried onboard, I can only assume the policy is similar to law we have in the UK for everyday carrying of a knife in public. I can’t recall the exact length (have 6cm in mind but could be wrong) but it matches that of a standard swiss army knife, the knife must be also be of a folding type with a non lockable blade. In the UK one has to demonstrate good reason to be carry any blade that falls outside those regulations.

No idea if it’s a general regulation at all airports or if each airport sets it’s own limits. Whatever the case, I was delighted about Santiago’s policy because, having carried on many travels, I’m rather fond of the little knife and would have been very sad to lose it.

As for taking a Swiss Army knife on your Camino, I find them jolly useful and wouldn’t be without one.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.