• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Purchasing Train Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveJ

Time of past OR future Camino
2021, 2022
In preparation for my trip in October I went onto the RENFE website and attempted to buy my tickets. The site repeatedly crashed right at the point of payment. So, I tried their phone app. Same result.
On top of that it took some experimentation as to how to get data into their required fields. For example the app requires two surnames. This makes the process clunky and time consuming. Also, not all of the app or the website is in English making it confusing at points.
After about an hour spent unsuccessfully I gave up and I got this link: https://www.raileurope.com/country=IE&locale=en&currency=EUR

Their site was quick and easy to use, and clearly developed for an international audience. They do charge a small booking fee but it is worth it to avoid the time and frustration. I also downloaded their app so I can have my itinerary on my phone.
If you need train tickets then this is the way to go.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In preparation for my trip in October I went onto the RENFE website and attempted to buy my tickets. The site repeatedly crashed right at the point of payment. So, I tried their phone app. Same result.
On top of that it took some experimentation as to how to get data into their required fields. For example the app requires two surnames. This makes the process clunky and time consuming. Also, not all of the app or the website is in English making it confusing at points.
After about an hour spent unsuccessfully I gave up and I got this link: https://www.raileurope.com/country=IE&locale=en&currency=EUR

Their site was quick and easy to use, and clearly developed for an international audience. They do charge a small booking fee but it is worth it to avoid the time and frustration. I also downloaded their app so I can have my itinerary on my phone.
Hi, Jonksie, I bought tickets yesterday for October on Renfe no problem. Maybe check tomorrow, might be a system crash?:) https://venta.renfe.com/vol/search.do?c=_yBdr

Hi, Jonksie, I bought tickets yesterday for October on Renfe no problem. Maybe check tomorrow, might be a system crash?:) https://venta.renfe.com/vol/search.do?c=_yBdr
Glad to hear you didn’t have a problem. We attempted multiple times over two days trying different computers and cell phones because we thought that there may be a system or compatibility problem. Well, at least we know there are alternatives if someone else has the same issues that I did.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have had the impression for a long time that Rail Europe charges a premium for the tickets purchased from them. I have always used Trainline or their predecessor Capitaine Train; this after failing to be able to buy my tickets direct from RENFE (after initially buying directly from them).

RENFE doesn't work well with credit cards from outside Europe.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mark Smith’s website is always my go to website for train travel…has been for many years.

I agree with TMc (post #5). Besides the fee for booking, Rail Europe fares are often higher in USA. As others have described using the Renfe website can be problematic. Mark discusses how to use Renfe. Before I book, I always compare the fares of-the websites. The key to the best fare is to purchase the ticket soon as they are available after they are posted. Spain is not as consistent in posting their fares, so it can be a little tricky in buying those inexpensive tickets.

Last edited:
I'm not an advocate of RailEurope either. I find their fares were higher than by going through trainline or directly. I've also had a GREAT deal of difficulty getting refunds (to the point that I gave up). If you're a frequent train traveler, I'd recommend trainline.

If you need train tickets then this is the way to go
In 2018, I had pre-purchased my train ticket online. Then, I had an accident that would required a hospital visit. So, I went to the train station to make a simple exchange for a later train, in the afternoon. My online purchase was not transferrable or refundable. I had to buy a new ticket at full fare. I stood there with three broken fingers going all which ways.

Then, before I could leave the ticket area, I was approached by a Station Manager and asked if I needed help. I was offered the services of their first aid man, taken to his clinic and examined. It was recommended that I be taken to the local hospital. Great care was given and treatment was received. When I asked where I should go to make payment, the doctor said, "No charge." But 3 months later, I received a bill in the mail. When on the Camino, or travelling to or from, pay as you go, or get insurance.

And consider buying tickets as you go too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’ve been trying to buy train tickets through Trainline for tickets within Portugal for next month with no luck. I’d like to go from Lisbon to Valenca to walk the last stretch into Santiago. When I put the information in, it says there are no trains available. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks

I am really laughing right now, not at you but you brought to mind all the times I had the exact same experience trying to buy a ticket on renfe and just going crazy. Once your on the train it's the best experience ever but getting the ticket can be very challenging. Granted I was usually trying to do it on a smart phone and I don't speak the language but still even the simplest thing like entering data was impossible. Clunky is a perfect word. Glad you found that other web site. I'm spoiled here in the USA cause our phone apps usually work very well but in Spain and Italy it's a bit of a different story. Maybe it just adds to the charm of being in another country.
Enjoy your trip with all it's challanges large and small. Buen camino

What dates are you going? We need train tickets for October 2nd and when I looked a couple of days ago there weren't many times available. Which station are you getting the train from? Tks We need to go from Madrid to Leon.

Rail Europe might be good for buying a rail pass, but for point-to-point thickets I find them expensive and they don’t always show all of the options. I use RENFE.com for Spanish rail tickets and SNCF.com for French rail tickets. I haven’t used SNCF for a couple of years, but in the past if you entered the US as your location, they would bump you RailEurope. Instead, I put France as your location with pick up of tickets in France at the rail station, which you can do at a machine if you are using a chip card, otherwise it is easy to do at a ticket counter.

RENFE also offers the Tarjeta Dorada, which is a senior discount card you can pick up at the ticket office for 6€. With the Tarjeta Dorada you can buy tickets online or at a ticket window, but not at a machine in the station. It is good for 1 year.

What dates are you going? We need train tickets for October 2nd and when I looked a couple of days ago there weren't many times available. Which station are you getting the train from? Tks We need to go from Madrid to Leon.
I see on Renfe that the currently only have two late evening buses available for sale. Maybe you should look at the bus. Alsa has many times available.

Renfe have an excellent App that’s very user friendly. It stores your ticket so no need for paper. It also has the option of payment by PayPal. Never had any issues booking a train ticket. Booking directly with the service provider means you also avoid additional charges other booking agents apply. If you have a flexible ticket and need to change it’s also possible to do this on the App.

Try using Chrome browser. Spme apple browers have that problem.

I see on Renfe that the currently only have two late evening buses available for sale. Maybe you should look at the bus. Alsa has many times available.
Thank you. I have looked at the buses and there is a 11:10 bus that might work. It's says "Alsa Guaranteed" I don't know if it is a Supra or Comfort... not that it really matters. I have been on Supra before and it was nice. Tks

In 2015, I was finally ready to leave Santiago after finishing my walk from Lourdes. I decided to take the train from Santiago to Barcelona, Barcelona to Brussels. I went to the train station in Santiago the day before my planned travel and bought the tickets directly from the very friendly and helpful ticket sellers.

The next morning, I arrived on time and got on the train to Barcelona. Great memories as I traveled by train past many of the Camino crossings I had been on just a few days previous.

I arrived in Barcelona with about an hour to switch to my next train to Brussels. Ticket in hand, I got ready to board.

Imagine my shock when the ticket person would not let me through the gate. It turns out the nice ticket people in Santiago had sold me tickets to leave Barcelona on the PREVIOUS DAY. Wrap your head around this - I had a ticket to leave Barcelona the day before I arrived in Barcelona!

There was nothing the ticket person could do about it and advised me to go to customer service . The clock ticking, customer service told me I would simply have to buy a new ticket for Brussels. I explained to them that I did not have enough money to do that (pilgrim). They shrugged, I shrugged, and found a seat at customer service and waited.

I got out my rosary and said a prayer (I seemed to have had ongoing conversations with my Saints throughout my walks) and told them that, since they had not let me down throughout the whole Camino, I knew they would not let me down so close to the end.

My train from Barcelona to Brussels left without me. It was out of my hands.

I waited. I people watched the customers who came in to customer service (quite a cast of characters). Occasionally, someone would come out from the back office, see me, ask the person at the desk what I was there for, they’d explain, they’d shrug, they’d retreat back into the back office.

I waited. And waited. I knew it would be ok although I had no idea how.

Several hours later, a person finally came out of the back office, called me over, and told me they would re-issue my ticket. I smiled, thanked them, hoisted my backpack, grabbed my hiking poles, and got on the next train to Brussels.

A smile and a thank you to my Saints.

Last edited:
In 2015, I was finally ready to leave Santiago after finishing my walk from Lourdes. I decided to take the train from Santiago to Barcelona, Barcelona to Brussels. I went to the train station in Santiago the day before my planned travel and bought the tickets directly from the very friendly and helpful ticket sellers.

The next morning, I arrived on time and got on the train to Barcelona. Great memories as I traveled by train past many of the Camino crossings I had been on just a few days previous.

I arrived in Barcelona with about an hour to switch to my next train to Brussels. Ticket in hand, I got ready to board.

Imagine my shock when the ticket person would not let me through the gate. It turns out the nice ticket people in Santiago had sold me tickets to leave Barcelona on the PREVIOUS DAY. Wrap your head around this - I had a ticket to leave Barcelona the day before I arrived in Barcelona!

There was nothing the ticket person could do about it and advised me to go to customer service . The clock ticking, customer service told me I would simply have to buy a new ticket for Brussels. I explained to them that I did not have enough money to do that (pilgrim). They shrugged, I shrugged, and found a seat at customer service and waited.

I got out my rosary and said a prayer (I seemed to have had an ongoing conversations with my Saints throughout my walks) and told them that, since they had not let me down throughout the whole Camino, I knew they would not let me down so close to the end.

I waited. I people watched the customers who came in to customer service (quite a cast of characters). Occasionally, someone would come out from the back office, see me, ask the person at the desk what I was there for, they’d explain, they’d shrug, they’d retreat back into the back office.

I got out my rosary and said a prayer (I seemed to have had an ongoing conversations with my Saints throughout my walks) and told them that, since they had not let me down throughout the whole Camino, I knew they would not let me down so close to the end.

Several hours later, a person finally came out of the back office, called me over, and old me they would re-issue my ticket. I smiled, thanked them, hoisted my backpack, grabbed my hiking poles, and got on the next train to Brussels.

Several hours later, a person finally came out of the back office, called me over, and old me they would re-issue my ticket. I smiled, thanked them, hoisted my backpack, grabbed my hiking poles, and got on the next train to Brussels.

Faith and patience won through.

I’ve been trying to buy train tickets through Trainline for tickets within Portugal for next month with no luck. I’d like to go from Lisbon to Valenca to walk the last stretch into Santiago. When I put the information in, it says there are no trains available. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
In my experience, the best way to purchase Portuguese train tickets is to download the Comboios de Portugal app into your phone and then book directly on Portuguese rail. That always worked for me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think it boils down to a difference in personality types but I am more comfortable in buying bus and train tickets at the time I’m there and ready to go. There are so many variables that can interfere with making reality fit into my plans and so much stress involved. I find it much more relaxing to hold onto plans loosely and be surprised and amused at how things turn out. A three-hour wait at the station, for example may give an opportunity to check out the neighborhood, grab a coffee, and read another chapter in that book tucked into your carryon. It’s a win-win!

Last edited:
Like @Zordmot I buy it when I’m ready to go. And with a non-EU credit card, I usually have to deal with a human to book trains in France.

I’ll do my homework on schedules and pricing and then, show up. I once booked a nice priced train trip from Le Mans to Bayonne on the ‘milk run’ (i.e., slower, multiple changes, but more direct) route rather than the faster train but less direct and more expensive route that the agent would have put me on if I hadn’t shown her the routing I wanted. She was happy to do it, but the booking algorithm would have pushed me to the faster trip. I spent a few more hours on the trip, but it was more interesting and cheaper.

Thanks
https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en I have used this site without a problem I jus picked a random date and there are many trains available. Good luck

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think it boils down to a difference in personality types but I am more comfortable in buying bus and train tickets at the time I’m there and ready to go. There are so many variables that can interfere with making reality fit into my plans and so much stress involved. I find it much more relaxing to hold onto plans loosely and be surprised and amused at how things turn out. A three-hour wait at the station, for example may give an opportunity to check out the neighborhood, grab a coffee, and read another chapter in that book tucked into your carryon. It’s a win-win!
i get the variables that may interefere with wanting to buy a ticket in advance.
Just be aware that when Renfe trains seats sell out, there is no standing room on trains as on some other european trains. So in high season, that wait for a train could be longer than 3 hours!

I'm using a page called Rome2rio.com, it tells you all the possible ways to go from point A to point B ,

Just used Rome2Rio for itineraries Madrid-Lugo. Surprisingly, bus is quicker than the train. How can that be?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just used Rome2Rio for itineraries Madrid-Lugo. Surprisingly, bus is quicker than the train. How can that be?
The bus can be faster than the train if the train journey involves a change of trains with a long gap between trains.

Oops! Tripped up by senility again. I recall now taking that train a couple of years ago. The route included a slow, winding descent into Ourense before going back up to the main line and continuing to Lugo. We got off in Ourense so didn't do the last leg.

I am taking a train next week from Madrid to Leon. Time: 2hrs. I will have to wait several hours to get this direct train. However, in Covid times a first class ticket on an express train seems safer than a 4+ hour bus ride.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last year I started the VDLP/Sanabres pilgrimage walk in Seville the day after Easter. I had to end early at Granja de Moreuela due to severe tendonitis. Now a year later, I am returning to finish the VDLP/Sanabres starting in Zamora on May 2. I am flying to Madrid, and would like to take the train to Zamora, one of the stops on the train that runs from Madrid to Santiago de Compostela. Looking at renfe.com, raileurope.com, and trainline.com, it seems that schedules and tickets for April are not yet available. I thought the schedules and ability to purchase tickets were typically available 60 days out. Am I wrong about this?
Thank-you for any information.
--james--

It has been commented on in other threads. They haven't been released yet. You just need to keep checking until they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back