• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Putting your rice cooker to good use: paella!

A

Anemone del Camino

So, I have been pulling @Robo 's leg ever since he asked nefore his forst Camino if he should bring his rice cooker. Well, this evwning I put my rice cooker to good use and thought I would share.

See, a year ago I bought an Asian cook book published by Lucky Peach. It's Asian but simplifies for markets outside of Asia so we can find the ingredients, and no frying. One of my favourite recipes from that book is chicken backs cooked in rice in a rice cooker. Add all the sauces, spices, rice and chicken in, close and wait for the "click".

So tonight I tried paella:

2 cups of rice, with what ever amount of water is needed for that (cover rice plus 1cm)
500 grams of chicken backs cut in small pieces
500 grams of boneless pork chops, also in small pieces
300 grams shrimp
3 sachets of azafran sazon by Goya
Sweet and hot pimenton
1cup green peas
2 green, yellow or red peppers
A handlful of parsely
4 garlic cloves

I sauted (sautayed?) the meat to get the bit of fat to melt a bit and give them meat flavour. I added a bit of salt and pepper as well as the pimenton. How much: no idea, as i cook "al ojo de buen cubero" but perhaps 1/4 tea spoon of spicy to 3/4 dulce.

Then I put the rice, water, sazon and galic cloves in the rice cooker, added the "sautayed" pork and chicken on top and pressed "cook".

About half way through I added the shrimp and frozen green peas.

When cooker said we were done, I added the green pepers and parsley and forced an extra 5 minutes of cooking

Paella with only 2 things to wash, a pan and the rice cooker!

For my taste I will add more pimenton and a bit more salt (wanted to be careful not knowing how much salt the sazon would give).

Talk about a great dish to serve in albergues, as long as the pilgrims are not allowed to mess with the rice cooker because they would break them in a minute. :D

Options: chorrizo refrito (yeah, ueah, Jamie Oliver and I will hear about it), muscles (cheat by separating the shell and only throw the muscle itself in the cooker). You could also fry up some garlic in oil and then pour this on top of the rice when you are ready to serve. Added flavour, for those who don't mind garlic breath.

This will feed 12, or 8 hungry pilgrims.

Buen provecho!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So, I have been pulling @Robo 's leg ever since he asked nefore his forst Camino if he should bring his rice cooker. Well, this evwning I put my rice cooker to good use and thought I would share.

See, a year ago I bought an Asian cook book published by Lucky Peach. It's Asian but simplifies for markets outside of Asia so we can find the ingredients, and no frying. One of my favourite recipes from that book is chicken backs cooked in rice in a rice cooker. Add all the sauces, spices, rice and chicken in, close and wait for the "click".

So tonight I tried paella:

2 cups of rice, with what ever amount of water is needed for that (cover rice plus 1cm)
500 grams of chicken backs cut in small pieces
500 grams of boneless pork chops, also in small pieces
300 grams shrimp
3 sachets of azafran sazon by Goya
Sweet and hot pimenton
1cup green peas
2 green, yellow or red peppers
A handlful of parsely
4 garlic cloves

I sauted (sautayed?) the meat to get the bit of fat to melt a bit and give them meat flavour. I added a bit of salt and pepper as well as the pimenton. How much: no idea, as i cook "al ojo de buen cubero" but perhaps 1/4 tea spoon of spicy to 3/4 dulce.

Then I put the rice, water, sazon and galic cloves in the rice cooker, added the "sautayed" pork and chicken on top and pressed "cook".

About half way through I added the shrimp and frozen green peas.

When cooker said we were done, I added the green pepers and parsley and forced an extra 5 minutes of cooking

Paella with only 2 things to wash, a pan and the rice cooker!

For my taste I will add more pimenton and a bit more salt (wanted to be careful not knowing how much salt the sazon would give).

Talk about a great dish to serve in albergues, as long as the pilgrims are not allowed to mess with the rice cooker because they would break them in a minute. :D

Options: chorrizo refrito (yeah, ueah, Jamie Oliver and I will hear about it), muscles (cheat by separating the shell and only throw the muscle itself in the cooker). You could also fry up some garlic in oil and then pour this on top of the rice when you are ready to serve. Added flavour, for those who don't mind garlic breath.

This will feed 12, or 8 hungry pilgrims.

Buen provecho!
Yum! Looks V tasty.
I never understood the Jamie Oliver chorizo 'furore', it seems to me that the paella's I've enjoyed in Spain have had local variations- it's an esteemed national dish, maybe only Spanish chefs can add 'extras'! :)

I gave an employee of mine a small rice cooker, a small drip coffee pot, and a basket of quick foods for her dorm when she quit to attend college. You can make anything with these two items! Cocoa, tea, coffee, instant oatmeal, ramen noodle, instant soups etc from the coffee pot.
And lots of ideas for the rice cooker, other than rice dishes, like steaming veggies etc.
She loved it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Please, please, please, don´t call that "paella". :eek: Call it "Cooked rice with things inside" :rolleyes: Paella is made with chicken and RABBIT, and in a specific pan. No peas, no yellow pepper, no... If you add other ingredients like prawns, mussel etc, them the paella need a "last name" Say Paella Mixta, Paella de marisco, Paella de verduras, etc. ;).
That said, there are lots of recipes being the main ingredient rice, and most of them tasty. (Rice with pork chops, rice with vegetables, rice with mushrooms, rice with chorizo...) Yes, maybe you can cook a palatable rice with chorizo. But definitely , DON`T call it paella. :(:mad::mad::mad::mad:.

Just kidding :):) , but please dont call it paella. The day you try a true paella, you will know why us spaniards are so extremist about this.

Buen Camino. And good paella.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
This was the first time I tried the rice cooker vs spending an hour cooking it properly in the correct dish, add browing each meat properly and using a sea food broth, but you know what, it works very well for a 10 minute prep and 20 minute cooking meal with only two dishes to wash. It doesn't have the deapth of flavour, but it certainly is as good as what most cheapy restaurants along the Caminos serve us, never mind the frozen prepackaged ones from the Dia.

A few years ago there was an advert for something like insurance on the TV in Spain. It showed 2 gay guys cooking paella in their kitchen. It attracted a lot of complaints, not because of homophobia, but because they were putting ONION in the paella. :eek:

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You know what they say, "one's paella is their paella" regardless of how it is cooked. :)
Thanks for taking the time typing up and sharing the recipe. Wish I had a rice cooker instead of the paella pan collecting dust on the top shelf.

You know what they say, "one's paella is their paella" regardless of how it is cooked. :)
Thanks for taking the time typing up and sharing the recipe. Wish I had a rice cooker instead of the paella pan collecting dust on the top shelf.
Dust it off then! Prep the ingredients and then finish the dish in the middle of a hot oven - heat all around rather than from a stove top.

I once had the temerity to cook paella in the Quatro Cantones in Belorado. A Spanish lady sampled it and said it was good but needed more garlic. A German lady said it was a "mish-mash". The senora bridled: "That, madam is my country's national dish!"

Dust it off then! Prep the ingredients and then finish the dish in the middle of a hot oven - heat all around rather than from a stove top.

I once had the temerity to cook paella in the Quatro Cantones in Belorado. A Spanish lady sampled it and said it was good but needed more garlic. A German lady said it was a "mish-mash". The senora bridled: "That, madam is my country's national dish!"
I think I will go to Spain instead - in four days! :)

I use my pella pan for bread pudding, with a whiskey sauce. Much better use of it. :p
A few years ago I stood with one of my brothers outside of a local baker's that had a sign in the shop window that said:

"BREAD PUDDING - JUST LIKE YOUR MOTHER USED TO MAKE!"

Charlie looked at me and said "Oh god, I hope not!" . . . .

For those of you not familiar with English Bread Pudding it is a concoction of stale bread steeped in milk, dried fruits, spices, sugar and fat squidged together then pressed into a flat pan and baked in an oven at a sufficiently high enough temperature to cause the top to crust over like the nastiest of skinned knees, spotting it with flaked remnants of incinerated sultanas whilst leaving the base with a moist stodgy consistancy akin to drying wallpaper paste.

Armed with bread pudding made from our mother's recipe Britons set out across the world to build an empire, construct air raid shelters to protect themselves from Hitler's bombs and used it as armour for their tanks on D-Day.

It is, however, a myth that the Titanic actually struck a discarded piece of bread pudding floating in the Atlantic as my mother's pudding would have never have floated for long enough but would have sunk, like the heaviest of anchors, to the ocean's bed.

Apart from that she was a pretty good mum!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The best Paella Valenciana, in the Albufera of Valencia In the company of my daughter and more relatives.

Attachments

• Paella V .jpg
    Paella V .jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Paella V 2.jpg
    Paella V 2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Paella V 3.jpg
    Paella V 3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 16
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back