• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Puzzled by a plant - can anyone identify?

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
IMG_20160927_104032.jpg I've been seeing a lot of an interesting wild plant I have never seen in the UK. Looks superficially quite like elderberry but it seems to be an annual plant, reaching about 1.5m high on a single stem and with a dense cluster of elderberry-like fruits at the top. Anyone know what it is? One thing I've discovered is that the berries make a powerful purple stain :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
View attachment 29317 I've been seeing a lot of an interesting wild plant I have never seen in the UK. Looks superficially quite like elderberry but it seems to be an annual plant, reaching about 1.5m high on a single stem and with a dense cluster of elderberry-like fruits at the top. Anyone know what it is? One thing I've discovered is that the berries make a powerful purple stain :)

Might your find be a Pokeberry?
Check out more re the Elderberry/Pokeberry relationship here.
http://www.herbalrootszine.com/articles/elderberry-vs-pokeberry/

Happy foraging!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I cannot read the word elderberry with out thinking of the Monty Python insult "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! " Of course this is of no help in your identification of the plant...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Bradypus Look up Pacharan and the like. Buen Camino, SY
@SYates I'm way ahead of you on Pacharan. One of the great discoveries of my first Camino. Very hard to buy in the UK so I looked around for recipes and I make my own in years when the sloe harvest is good. I've had a glass or two in this past week too :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sambucas are more likely to feature in Sambuca, that over sweet anisette encountered in a certain type of Italian restaurant: flamed and with a coffee bean floating in the fire. Sambuca is classically flavoured with Elder flower, fennel and half a dozen other 'secret' ingredients readily identified in Wikipedia. (Elder, dried Lemon & bitter Orange peel work best & forget the sugar - the consumer can always add a cube if they're that way inclined) Sambuca Negra is flavoured with the dried or cooked berries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambucus

Pacharan
is mainly Sloes with maybe coffee, cinnamon and fennel, all unnecessary if you have good, frost-nipped sloes.

Smugly contemplates bottles of Mures Sauvages, Sloe Gin, Sambuca and Damson Vodka snuggled in the larder and quietly dreads the Yuletide thrash....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
... Smugly contemplates bottles of Mures Sauvages, Sloe Gin, Sambuca and Damson Vodka snuggled in the larder and quietly dreads the Yuletide thrash....

I haven't been in the UK for a while ... quietly planning secret robbery of @Tincatinker's larder ...
BC SY

Sambuca, that over sweet anisette encountered in a certain type of Italian restaurant: flamed and with a coffee bean floating in the fire

The setting: the Italian Officers' Club in Decimomannu. The event: Crud match of an epic nature. Flaming sambucas for all the guys in my squadron, a cappuccino for me. The decision: should I take my turn, or go help put out one of the pilots...
hey, I was down to my last life.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Errr... back on-topic
It awfully looks a lot like the very toxic sort of elderberry/Sambucus... :confused: There are tons of them in Spain
The others edible sorts are big bushes/trees, usually the flowers/berries fall down. The toxic kind grows on single stems and their flowers/berries look up until their wight bend them more or less. Which is just what you described...
Please don't try any liqueur if you're not sure about it :eek: And wash when done painting yourself purple :rolleyes:
Whatsoever, stay alive! o_O;)

full

@Marion-SantiagoInLove Thank you for your words of warning. I love foraging but I'm always pretty cautious with new plants. Even the green parts of our common elder are poisonous - though as they stink like cat's pee I've often wondered who troubled to find out!

Thanks to all for your replies. "Educate. Inform. Entertain" Lord Reith would have been so pleased. :):confused::eek::rolleyes:o_O;)
full

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Are you still alive Bradypus after a night on pacheran and sambucus berries?

Thanks! Think it is probably Sambucus ebulus (Danewort) from the description and photo on Wikipedia. The geographic range is right too. An attractive plant. Probably not a good idea to take some home though. Look how well that worked with Japanese knotweed...
Thanks for the ID; tooks pics in 2014 but was unsuccessful in trying to name. I tried a berry but it tasted horrible and I got rid of it very speedily!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for the ID; tooks pics in 2014 but was unsuccessful in trying to name. I tried a berry but it tasted horrible and I got rid of it very speedily!
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I am going to assume you are an expert in plants, but may I suggest to the rest of the forum that they not put strange flora into their mouths? I've treated patients who picked the wrong mushroom or berry...not pretty. Some plants are extremely toxic, enough that you wouldn't make it down the road to a hospital.
please please please no tasting.

Fine thanks - alive and well and in Grañon. And both my legs are still working.
that's below the belt! Hopefully walking again from the 15th (Bradypus and I aren't trolling each other - he was helping me out on my Cistercian Way Pilgrimage which is currently interrupted due to my hurting my knee badly)

I use Sambucus (elderberry) every year, both red and black.
I know of no elderberries that are toxic when cooked.
They are toxic when raw and the stems and leaves are toxic.

Joe sent a photo of a similar bush yesterday - we aren't sure about this one and the locals said it was toxic, but maybe they don't want pilgrims picking and eating them.

I've never seen sambucus growing this way, in a low bush with the berries upright.
All the elderberries I've ever picked, short or tall, were drooping.

Attachments

• unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 11
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
no sambucus, saúco, sabuco or elderberries in my opinion, they must be distantly related to grapes, but it is just an ornamental plant, this time of the year they are beautifully thriving, the leaves look a bit like grapevines, but they are not edible. I can tell you what it is NOT, but I cannot tell you what it actually IS, sorry!

note the skull and crossbones in @Kathar1na's pictures:)
wishing you all a safe and sane Camino (to steal a phrase from our 4th of July)

edit: also proving what it took me half the Norte to figure out...listen to the locals

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I thought this was a good website on identification of sambucus and its lookalikes, and while he states he THINKS people shouldn't eat Dwarf Elderberry, a person writes at the bottom that as long as the berries are cooked, they're good. I find this topic interesting so am going to read all I can about this plant.

http://sunflower-press.com/definitive-guide-elderberry/

UPDATE: Except for a few people hollaring "it's toxic!" with no data to back up their opinion, every SCIENTIFIC paper I've read states the toxicity of the BERRIES is low and ALL toxicity is destroyed with cooking. It is apparently used in Iran and Bularia to flavor soups and as a common food source.

Last edited:
you are right, toxicity is low (for humans) and ameliorated by cooking
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25723322

butnot safe if you are a dog :) (for those walking with their best friend) http://www.pgvet.bc.ca/poisonous-plant-listing.pml (not sure if it's ok once cooked)

the protein in question has a ricin-like activity, inactivated when heated to a high enough temperature.

another good reason to avoid tasting unknown plants:eek:...or at least get someone else to taste it

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have gone full circle. I am back in Hontanas: the village where a Spanish pilgrim I had met just that morning in 1990 introduced me to patxaran. Raising my glass to that man with many thanks!

For me it was in Torres del Río on my 1st camino.
¡Salud! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back