Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
In less than one month, I will embark on my seventh camino, this time walking the Camino de Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostela. I plan to cover the 264 km route over 14 days. I then plan to continue my pilgrimage to Muxia and then Finisterre before returning back to Canada.

Its been 10 years since I last walked a camino. That time I walked the Via de la Plata from Seville to Santiago. I am near the final stages of getting my gear sorted out. The biggest change in gear that I have made is buying a smaller 40 litre pack (down from 55 litres). Space is now at a premium in the pack but it is forcing me to be selective in what I take. Needless to say my pack is much lighter (much less than the typical 12 plus kilos I carried in the past) which is a bonus.

I will be taking my lighter mirrorless Sony camera instead of the much heavier Nikon camera too.

The other more significant change is that I will be taking an iPhone. Seems the days of simply showing up at the albergue are quickly fading away. I have not decided if I will swap out the SIM or go eSIM or simply turn off the cellular and use Wifi to connect. In keeping with the times, I will be using various apps like Bookings.com to reserve my beds, Duolingo to help me learn some Spanish, WhatsApp to call ahead, Buena Camino and the WisePilgrim as my electronic guidebooks, and the Camino Forum to update everybody along the way.

Finally age is catching up with us all. In my case it is complicated by the fact I have Parkinson's Disease. This is the first camino I will have done since being diagnosed in April 2019. Its complicated by the fact I must take a number of pills at different times throughout the day but fortunately there is an app for this. I am also unsure how 3 weeks of walking 20 kms each day will impact my body and more importantly my brain.

But I know I wont be the first person to have done a camino with Parkinson's nor the last.

Once on the Camino I endeavour to post daily updates to the forum, and maybe an occasional update prior to leaving.

Today is Parkinson's Day.
If you know somebody that has PD or somebody that is a care giver, give them a hug.
They could use it

World PD Day.jpeg

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What a nice surprise to see your post @jirit . If I recall correctly, years ago you wrote up a guide for the Vía de la Plata and at one point I helped update the guide. In any case good to hear about your upcoming Camino. Many, many changes have occurred over the past 10 years along the various routes but the Invierno from what I've read (it's still on my list!) is still quiet.

I look forward to reading about your Camino and thank you for sharing with us the circumstances in which you will be walking. Doing a Camino can be challenging but doing so with Parkinson is another level. Thank goodness for apps that will ping when you need to take your meds!

Ultreia!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In less than one month, I will embark on my seventh camino, this time walking the Camino de Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostela. I plan to cover the 264 km route over 14 days. I then plan to continue my pilgrimage to Muxia and then Finisterre before returning back to Canada.

Its been 10 years since I last walked a camino. That time I walked the Via de la Plata from Seville to Santiago. I am near the final stages of getting my gear sorted out. The biggest change in gear that I have made is buying a smaller 40 litre pack (down from 55 litres). Space is now at a premium in the pack but it is forcing me to be selective in what I take. Needless to say my pack is much lighter (much less than the typical 12 plus kilos I carried in the past) which is a bonus.

I will be taking my lighter mirrorless Sony camera instead of the much heavier Nikon camera too.

The other more significant change is that I will be taking an iPhone. Seems the days of simply showing up at the albergue are quickly fading away. I have not decided if I will swap out the SIM or go eSIM or simply turn off the cellular and use Wifi to connect. In keeping with the times, I will be using various apps like Bookings.com to reserve my beds, Duolingo to help me learn some Spanish, WhatsApp to call ahead, Buena Camino and the WisePilgrim as my electronic guidebooks, and the Camino Forum to update everybody along the way.

Finally age is catching up with us all. In my case it is complicated by the fact I have Parkinson's Disease. This is the first camino I will have done since being diagnosed in April 2019. Its complicated by the fact I must take a number of pills at different times throughout the day but fortunately there is an app for this. I am also unsure how 3 weeks of walking 20 kms each day will impact my body and more importantly my brain.

But I know I wont be the first person to have done a camino with Parkinson's nor the last.

Once on the Camino I endeavour to post daily updates to the forum, and maybe an occasional update prior to leaving.

If you know somebody that has PD or somebody that is a care giver, give them a hug.
They could use it

View attachment 144612
I'm there with you, all the way ;-)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

They could use it

View attachment 144612
Buen Camino, amigo!

They could use it

View attachment 144612
I loved the Invierno. Just pay attention when the guide books says no food or water. It's not kidding!

@jirit perhaps we will cross paths. I’m just on my second day of the Madrid, and if all goes well I’ll be making my way to the Invierno after that - maybe via the Olvidado. Sending good wishes for easy travels!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If all goes well and nothing gets lost in transit, we will start walking from Ponferrada May 10, arriving in Santiago May 23... but whats that expression - "the best laid plans of mice and men" ... ?

... the camino will provide ...

They could use it

View attachment 144612
I admire your desire and grit! It should be a very rewarding journey. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Its interesting when you decide to go from a 55 litre pack to 40 litre pack, forces you to review and reconsider what you really need to take.

So I have spent the past few days examining every item, packing and repacking doing my best to not only get everything into the pack but keep the overall weight 10 kilos or less. This means examining each piece of clothing, equipment, toiletries, first aid, etc.

One of casualties will be my Sony mirrorless camera. Its an old camera (NEX-6), so getting parts is a challenge.

After ordering and replacing the camera battery (which I assumed had died), I discovered I was unable to charge the battery using the power adapter. The good news I was able to fully charge the battery if I plugged the camera directly into my computer. The bad news I am still unable to charge the battery using the power adapter. (So maybe the adapter no longer works?)

The even worse news I am now unable to charge the replacement battery using my computer (what changed?)

I am running out of time to order a replacement power adapter and cables. Furthermore I simply dont have room to attached my camera anywhere on my pack or myself. Since I am taking my iPhone I have decided to use the iPhone only.

Now have to decide if I take my hiking poles or not, or wait until I am in Madrid to purchase a set there. My pack is small enough to take as carry-on, but the poles if I take them will need to be checked.

They could use it

View attachment 144612
Buen Camino and safe walking! Please take your time and use your hiking poles!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was about to post a short update before I rush out early Monday morning to board a series of planes to fly to Spain in order to start my seventh camino.

While I was on this site, I clicked on a button and ChatGPT offered alternate title to this thread: "Walking the Camino de Invierno: Reflections on Age, Illness and the Modern Day Pilgrimage"

Damn I really think that thing was reading my mind !

For example I attended the local Victoria chapter monthly morning coffee get together and people asked me if I am excited. Told them right now, I wasn't. I usually get into the spirit until once I on the ground and I start walking. Besides what lay ahead was a long series of flights and one 4 hour bus trip before I would arrive in Ponferrada. After nearly 750,000 miles or kilometres of airplane travel, I no longer excited and most cases downright apprehensive of flying. Doesn't help that I am over 6 feet tall and airlines continue to shrink the space between seats. I fall into the “Beam me over Scottie” category type of traveller.

It might be an “Age” thing - I am clearly at that point in the game of life where I am much closer the finishing post, than I was to the starting post.

Much has changed in the past ten years, since I last ventured out and walked a camino. Certainly much has changed on the camino, especially the Camino Frances. When I last walked it back in 2011, changes were already underway. Gone were the days of scrap paper notes pinned down by a rock or stuck on the board. Gone were the line up of packs and pilgrims waiting for the albergue to open. Gone were the coin operated internet machines and phone booths.

Instead pilgrims now carry eSim enabled iPhones and the like, emailing or calling or texting ahead using WhatsApp or bookings.com to reserve a bed. They simply Zoom back home to chat to family and friends or use this site’s app to post daily updates like I will do.

Using their favourite mapping app, they can check to see where they are in terms of where they want to be. Being lost now, is just a state of not “being in the moment”.

With thousands and thousands walking the Camino Frances otherwise known as simply the Way thanks to Martin Sheen, one might be challenged to “be in the moment”. I have seen the photos and heard the stories. Feels more like a stampede of pilgrims marching their way to Santiago and Saint James.

I guess for some this is what is called a Modern Day Pilgrimage.

And then there’s thing called Parkinson’s which surfaced into my life nearly a decade ago. A weird combination of genetics and pollutants and along an unhealthy dose of too many stressful jobs are probably the reasons why. Most days I almost forget I have it. On other days, I am very much reminded.

Yet I don’t call it an Illness - just a condition that some must endue.

As the clock down towards the departure date, I am becoming aware that this camino will probably test me both physically and mentally in ways I will not appreciate. I am become a little apprehensive. Its has been ten long years since I “did a camino”. And this might turn out to my first “real camino” whereby I am challenged to look inward, and examine those things that hold me back. Nothing like a bit of fear to focus the mind.

Got to remember to drink and eat and rest often - and yeah, take my meds on time.

At least I will have my eSim enabled iPhone to update all, of the trials and tribulations of my camino. I will toss in a few photos to add some colour to my story. On those days where I am really struggling, I may even ask ChatGPT to produce a few updates on my behalf !

Ultreia et Suseia

Two more "sleeps" to go!

Well maybe one and an half because I probably wont sleep much the night before.

I finally getting that nervous excitment that I am actually about to go to Spain to walk another camino. Its been 10 years since i have been in Spain and more eight years since I have boarded a plane. There was a brief period in my life where it seemed I was on a plane almost every week going somewhere --- California, Boston, Toronto, London, Frankfurt, Norway, breezing through airports ...

My one camino buddy Mary is already in Spain. You can read about her adventures here: https://post70travels.wordpress.com

My other camino buddy Deborah arrives next Tuesday morning and we alll three will converge in Ponferrada Tuesday night, i am excited to be able to see her again.

I am so grateful they are both joining me on this special camino,

After 24 hours of travelling from the west coast of Canada that included a 4 ½ hour bus from Madrid to Ponferrada, I have arrived. From the bus station to the hostal I stopped in the local Decathlon store and bought a pair of hiking poles. My walking partners Mary and Deborah had arrived hours earlier.

We are staying at the Hostal Virgen de la Encina which is literally across from the castle. I highly recommend staying.

I woke up at 4 am (jet lag) and used the time to reorganize my pack. I am carrying at collapsible day pack which is convenient for the plane and when walking around day, that easily attaches to the outside of my pack.

It looks like we will have a few days of warm sunny weather so t shirt and shorts are what I am wearing.

Our walk today we require we backtrack and then connect with the Invierno following it out along the Sil River to our first destination approx 20 kms

Below is a view of the castle from table outside at the hostal.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After 24 hours of travelling from the west coast of Canada that included a 4 ½ hour bus from Madrid to Ponferrada, I have arrived. From the bus station to the hostal I stopped in the local Decathlon store and bought a pair of hiking poles. My walking partners Mary and Deborah had arrived hours earlier.

We are staying at the Hostal Virgen de la Encina which is literally across from the castle. I highly recommend staying.

I woke up at 4 am (jet lag) and used the time to reorganize my pack. I am carrying at collapsible day pack which is convenient for the plane and when walking around day, that easily attaches to the outside of my pack.

It looks like we will have a few days of warm sunny weather so t shirt and shorts are what I am wearing.

Our walk today we require we backtrack and then connect with the Invierno following it out along the Sil River to our first destination approx 20 kms

You are there! Good Oh! from Nanaimo!!!

Great to hear you are there and have met up with your friends. Enjoy!

Barb

Morning Two

We slept like babes! After a super delicious hearty dinner night and great sleep we are ready to tackle another day

Attachments

• 5B0A4409-CF32-4FE0-AE3D-88FA15B072D5.jpeg
    5B0A4409-CF32-4FE0-AE3D-88FA15B072D5.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 3A2C22F7-0626-4D8E-8019-8083E6ACF71E.jpeg
    3A2C22F7-0626-4D8E-8019-8083E6ACF71E.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 79
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Morning Two

We slept like babes! After a super delicious hearty dinner night and great sleep we are ready to tackle another day
We “called an audible” and are on a bus to Ponferrada now running away from all the rain up north. We’re staying in the same hotel as you just did (and we did in 2018!).

Now, we have to decide if we’ll follow you on the Invierno, or if we’ll test the CF waters!

Buen Camino!

End of Day Two

Highlight of the day was the Las Medulas. After a steady climb we arrived at this UNESCO site before lunch which was followed by steady decent to arrive Casa Rosa our bed for the night.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day Three

Breakfast at Casa Rosa. It’s a small albergue with a large heart.

Attachments

• 8977C4A8-8F0A-4054-AC30-53746E93ED16.jpeg
    8977C4A8-8F0A-4054-AC30-53746E93ED16.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 64
  • 6EBDE5B8-E4D3-4E97-81F2-7CA68C9E2D2E.jpeg
    6EBDE5B8-E4D3-4E97-81F2-7CA68C9E2D2E.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 58
A big heart

Attachments

• D78645C1-B76F-4469-B654-F54898D15DE3.jpeg
    D78645C1-B76F-4469-B654-F54898D15DE3.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 45
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
End of day three.

It was a long steady day to O Barco that took us initially along the lake and then river towards O Barco. Most of the route stayed close to the regional train tracks but included a 4-5 kms section of road walking. Services were limited and it wasn’t until we reached Sobradelo that we were able to get anything to eat or drink.

it was becoming clear that this route challenging in terms of the hilly terrain and distances, and limited services. But for those to choose to do so, are rewarded with some spectacular views.

On a personal note, I am doing surprisingly well.

Attachments

• A6559BA3-5F3B-4D25-A159-5DEEE70C48C9.jpeg
    A6559BA3-5F3B-4D25-A159-5DEEE70C48C9.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 36
End of day four

We are staying at Pension Phillban in A Rua. We decided to take an alternate route out O Banco that followed the river on the south side of the River Sil, along small country paved lane ways and gravel tracks high above the river and highway. The reward was the views.

We were hoping to cross back over the river further down but discovered quite fortunately before we descended down to the river, that the foot bridge was closed for repairs. So this meant we had to push forward another few kilometres before we had another opportunity to cross back over the river. One further alternative detour had us climbing again in the mid day hot sun, and again we were rewarded with more stupendous views.

I guess the moral of this day was: take the other path less taken, and though you might struggle you will be rewarded for your hard work and determination.

In many ways the Camino de Invierno has been a much tougher pilgrimage than I had expected. However almost each day we have been presented with opportunities to detour from the main route, and done so, there are rewards for doing so.

In a practical sense we have only seen a handful of other pilgrims, most single men, who seem prepared to keep to themselves. Even though we have managed to keep the distances under 20km, the rolling hilly terrain and very limited services means the pace is slow. In other words carry plenty of water, stop more often and carry some energy snacks.

Attachments

• E4CA17BB-B56F-475A-80AD-1D756D3F45AA.jpeg
    E4CA17BB-B56F-475A-80AD-1D756D3F45AA.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 31
  • FE109F3F-F793-4574-9C9B-249D5E7CD66E.jpeg
    FE109F3F-F793-4574-9C9B-249D5E7CD66E.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 37
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Morning day Five

One of reasons we select to stay at the pension Phillaban was its reputation for excellent dinners. Even though it opens at 7 pm, dinner starts not start until 9 pm, typical Spanish time.

But the wait was well worth it.

Deborah ordered a pork tenderloin plata while Mary and myself ordered scallops.

Attachments

• 55681BF0-EB0D-47F4-9588-685CFBE2BDF5.jpeg
    55681BF0-EB0D-47F4-9588-685CFBE2BDF5.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 43
Finally, I found your posts! Glad to hear you are doing so well. It’s a wonderful route! I’m sitting at Zurich airport about to fly to Florence to begin the Way of St Francis. Hi to M. Looking forward to the rest of your Camino. Take care. Geoff

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm following this thread and Mary's blog avidly. Bravo on your progress so far! Some hills ahead, but then it evens out a bit...

Sorry for being so slow in the daily posts. It becoming one of those Caminos whereby you lose track of time. Proving to be the most challenging Camino I done.

Now staying at the Casa Rural Vilarino.

Attachments

• BB1F2D99-C581-4C45-A71C-ED1891087DB6.jpeg
    BB1F2D99-C581-4C45-A71C-ED1891087DB6.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 35
  • F1D20FE0-ED5E-48C8-9AC9-F932AF3A3ACF.jpeg
    F1D20FE0-ED5E-48C8-9AC9-F932AF3A3ACF.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 6B85C0A2-D97C-4CE2-B1A3-DB2BE9FF33A0.jpeg
    6B85C0A2-D97C-4CE2-B1A3-DB2BE9FF33A0.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 8EDCFDE5-9D39-4477-A405-F925D93EC0EA.jpeg
    8EDCFDE5-9D39-4477-A405-F925D93EC0EA.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 0052E3F1-0944-4AA3-9D9B-A3DE711056BC.jpeg
    0052E3F1-0944-4AA3-9D9B-A3DE711056BC.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 27
  • D97AC101-BD7F-46A0-82A3-F1B282F4E53B.jpeg
    D97AC101-BD7F-46A0-82A3-F1B282F4E53B.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 40C945F2-AF78-40EC-8C07-4C51E6E12600.jpeg
    40C945F2-AF78-40EC-8C07-4C51E6E12600.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 6B1FDCA0-EDB3-4CC4-9DC4-D171E3C05550.jpeg
    6B1FDCA0-EDB3-4CC4-9DC4-D171E3C05550.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 27
  • E71D1759-BA6E-45B5-8AB4-20C27324A449.jpeg
    E71D1759-BA6E-45B5-8AB4-20C27324A449.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 31
Some meals we have enjoyed

Attachments

• 5985181C-1D0F-475C-87EF-7E725C3FC994.jpeg
    5985181C-1D0F-475C-87EF-7E725C3FC994.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 698F9FD0-B2BC-4FD9-9FA4-FF6181224A72.jpeg
    698F9FD0-B2BC-4FD9-9FA4-FF6181224A72.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 24
  • C5E2C347-8D88-4F25-83E1-3BBB121F7DBC.jpeg
    C5E2C347-8D88-4F25-83E1-3BBB121F7DBC.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 4BE70722-6571-4766-8CE8-BCA236676A57.jpeg
    4BE70722-6571-4766-8CE8-BCA236676A57.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 0BBC1444-32DD-4862-ABFE-95986CAADF9E.jpeg
    0BBC1444-32DD-4862-ABFE-95986CAADF9E.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 24
  • F942A1E8-948F-475A-B8F3-C0E68D799183.jpeg
    F942A1E8-948F-475A-B8F3-C0E68D799183.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 23
  • B7EA1206-B2A2-4943-8B40-79914D51F940.jpeg
    B7EA1206-B2A2-4943-8B40-79914D51F940.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 75AD5578-CCD3-48A4-B19B-F9B69E16E48B.jpeg
    75AD5578-CCD3-48A4-B19B-F9B69E16E48B.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 30
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Great photos, amigo. One foot in front of the other!

We are a couple of days of joining the Sansbres Camino and already we are experiencing the impact of the rush of pilgrims arriving in Santiago.

Along the Camino de Invierno it became became necessary to book ahead to secure beds for the night. Not because there were dozens of pilgrims on this route- far from it - most days we saw 4-5 other pilgrims at most. Instead in many of the stops there was only one or two places to stay.

In between, there were little or no facilities, not even water. It was important to not only have snacks but plenty of water, especially at this time of year. We have been blessed with mostly sunny warm days, though the mornings can be chilly.

Very little English is spoken on this route and while signage is relatively good, some of the hostals and albergues are off route - the app Pocket Earth has proved very useful.

Dinner from last night at the Casa Rural

Attachments

• 149CCA32-096E-4D58-8BDB-189A11B7F782.jpeg
    149CCA32-096E-4D58-8BDB-189A11B7F782.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 87FCDFC6-89CE-4582-9CE1-539783769B77.jpeg
    87FCDFC6-89CE-4582-9CE1-539783769B77.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 08FC16CD-0EC9-48FB-9122-27D21D9BA745.jpeg
    08FC16CD-0EC9-48FB-9122-27D21D9BA745.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DA5161EB-230C-4B0E-83EB-6B3A5102BF70.jpeg
    DA5161EB-230C-4B0E-83EB-6B3A5102BF70.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 24
  • D29FC303-2566-438F-91D7-75E5F3325EE1.jpeg
    D29FC303-2566-438F-91D7-75E5F3325EE1.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 2F14DCE4-FBCE-4977-B0A2-1F940DFBEF13.jpeg
    2F14DCE4-FBCE-4977-B0A2-1F940DFBEF13.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 34
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This camino is more challenging than the Frances, and requires more self-reliance.
Brierley has written a guide, yes.
But that does not mean it's easy.

Anyone who is resilient and flexible will enjoy it a lot, though. Sounds like you are @jirit - Good walk into Santiago to you!

It's a bit of a conundrum, isn't it? Few pilgrims and therefore not enough infrastructure. Not enough infrastructure and therefore few pilgrims!

It's a bit of a conundrum, isn't it? Few pilgrims and therefore not enough infrastructure. Not enough infrastructure and therefore few pilgrims!
There is infrastructure, but not huge amounts and further apart. Nor are there cafes every few kms. And it has some good hills. So not as cushy as the Francés.
But wow. So worth it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
About an hour before we arrived at our destination after walking for nearly 6 hours climbing the equivalent of 55 floors in a rather cold and windy weather we stumbling across a small bar in a small hamlet. Stopped for short break and had a short beer before marching to Rodiero.

Attachments

• F333B158-4E12-4E57-9C24-5EFBCAC637F1.jpeg
    F333B158-4E12-4E57-9C24-5EFBCAC637F1.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 29
  • A2F9ADF0-5FBA-46D7-8791-8C17CA47E979.jpeg
    A2F9ADF0-5FBA-46D7-8791-8C17CA47E979.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 32
  • B33D46D7-AD42-4B2D-8282-B1075B13D13E.jpeg
    B33D46D7-AD42-4B2D-8282-B1075B13D13E.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 39
We left Lalin this morning, stopping in A Lax for second breakfast. We are now on the Camino de Sanabres. Two days before we are in Santiago.

Mary is calling ahead reserving beds for the Camino to Muxcia

Attachments

• 784FCEDE-78D7-4EB1-BD07-333B2D4A13A3.jpeg
    784FCEDE-78D7-4EB1-BD07-333B2D4A13A3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pizza dinner in Lalin from last night

Attachments

• DC89B9EE-1638-4D72-8BEA-C5A027F992FC.jpeg
    DC89B9EE-1638-4D72-8BEA-C5A027F992FC.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 5E69DABD-8166-4E4F-A84A-E1A3050E1A14.jpeg
    5E69DABD-8166-4E4F-A84A-E1A3050E1A14.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 36
Will arrive in finisterre May 29.

Does anybody have suggestions on a place to stay ?

We arrived in Santiago yesterday afternoon tired after walking approximately 6 hrs in the warm mid day sun

Attachments

• AC623BB4-ACA5-4473-9D87-57106D2FD31A.jpeg
    AC623BB4-ACA5-4473-9D87-57106D2FD31A.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 33
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm there with you, all the way ;-)
Mary Virtue from Victoria? If yes, greetings; we stayed camped in your driveway years ago for the Hospitaleros Course :) sandi from Harrison Hot Springs. I am just starting to look at this Camino perhaps for Fall.

Open my return to Canada, I game down with COVID.

I guess I can thank Air Canada, initially for the 5 hr delay in Madrid, followed another 4 hr delay in Toronto whereby we passengers spent 3 hrs sitting in a cramped plane at the gate before the pilot decided to let us off again, only to drag us back on again before we flew off to Victoria, 4 hrs behind schedule.

Air Canada tried to deny responsibility claiming it was an IT issue. I kindly reminded them no such clause exists in the Act. I understand they reconsidering compensation. Maybe the threat of a multimillion dollar class action suit has sharpen some minds.

Anyway when my head finally clears, I will provide a summary of our/my walk on the Camino de Invierno

Sorry to hear about the Covid and the travel mess. It was a pleasure to follow your trip! I hope you feel better soon!

We arrived in Santiago yesterday afternoon tired after walking approximately 6 hrs in the warm mid day sun

Congratulations.
So glad to hear that you are on the Camino again and enjoyed the Invierno.
I was just a week ahead of you......
It's an amazing Camino isn't it!

They could use it

View attachment 144612
Buen Camino. I’ve recently done the Frances from SJPDP to Santiago and fue a small part of it made friends with a SA couple , and he had Parkinson’s. The most wicked sense of humour was his greatest attribute. Although our meeting was brief, I often think of him.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi All.

This year is becoming a year of challenges, some expected, others not.

I set out to do another camino (#7) in May after nearly ten years since being diagnosed with Parkinson's. Did not know what to expect (do we ever?) but overall the experience was a success.

However as some know I came down with COVID upon my return to Canada. The first few days were really a struggle but I finally tested negative after 10 days. However my PD symptoms went off the charts and it wasn't until the end of June that I was normal again ("normal" being what it is for me).

Then mid July my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 terminal cancer. 14 days later she was gone.

An absolute shock! That said she was 89 and had lived a long healthy life and was fully accepting of her fate. But nothing really prepares you for this (not even the camino).

So for past 6 weeks, as executor, I have traveling back and forth between my mother's house and my home in Victoria - I have lost count of the number of kms I had done - dont ask about the gas bills.

So maybe, just maybe, I will find some time to summarize and document my experiences on the Camino Invierno.

I do know when this is all said and done I will be ready to go "walk about" (Its an Aussie expression)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back