• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pyrenees in May

Scully

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Pamplona to Santiago
April 2018 Pamplona to Santiago
St Jean to Leon maybe in Sept 18
I have completed two Caminos both starting in Pamplona. This May I will have more time and able to start in SJPP on May 6th. I am wondering how much cold weather clothing to bring. I always bring a fleece and a raincoat. Could I double up on those or am I underestimating the weather in the Pyrenees in May? Might I need a coat also? I did decide to bring a light sleeping bag instead of my normal liner. I just wanted to ask those of you who have hiked it in May what experiences you have had with the weather during May. What did you bring and how did it work out for you? Thanks SO much for advice and wisdom!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have done this a few times in mid April. To be honest, the coldest weather I have encountered was always on the Meseta, not in the Pyrenees. That said, not to worry. The first few days were cool, but I was fine wearing my layers. In my case, a base layer, a polyester "sweater" really just a heavy-ish long sleeve shirt, a fleece hoodie, and my rain jacket. With those elements, I'm comfortable to below freezing, and it won't be that cold when you go. Don't take a "Coat". Keep your pack light, and think about wearing everything in your pack in layers to handle the coldest day you will encounter.

I agree with Rick. The Meseta seems more cold to me than the Pyrenees, especially in May.
If you wear a fleece and a raincoat, I suspect you'll be peeling those off after a few minutes walking.
As far as the sleeping bag, I always bring a down blanket since my "freezing" experience in June in Santo Domingo.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have done this a few times in mid April. To be honest, the coldest weather I have encountered was always on the Meseta, not in the Pyrenees. That said, not to worry. The first few days were cool, but I was fine wearing my layers. In my case, a base layer, a polyester "sweater" really just a heavy-ish long sleeve shirt, a fleece hoodie, and my rain jacket. With those elements, I'm comfortable to below freezing, and it won't be that cold when you go. Don't take a "Coat". Keep your pack light, and think about wearing everything in your pack in layers to handle the coldest day you will encounter.
Thank you for the words of wisdom! I was hoping my layered approach would work. I am pretty minimalistic on the Camino so not having to worry about bringing a coat makes me happy!
I agree with Rick. The Meseta seems more cold to me than the Pyrenees, especially in May.
If you wear a fleece and a raincoat, I suspect you'll be peeling those off after a few minutes walking.
As far as the sleeping bag, I always bring a down blanket since my "freezing" experience in June in Santo Domingo.
perfect! Ty! This is the first time I am bringing a bag heavier than a liner. I have had many a chilly night on past Caminos where I pile on all my layers lol. Can’t wait to have a little more comfort this time around. 😊

We crossed the Pyrenees in early May. Definitely layer (I had merino wool baselayer, a fleece shirt, and a raincoat - possibly another long-sleeve shirt, along with a wool skull cap, ball cap, glove liners, and fingerless gloves). The weather can be nice or crappy. For example, when we crossed from Valcarlos to Roncessvalles, we wound up wearing t-shirts and shorts. The next day, it snowed. Be prepared for spring weather.

I walked the Napoleon Route in sleet and light snow on May 1, 2018. Temperature was around 0 deg C all day and the wind was strong at times. Layers of things you would normally carry (eg, long sleeve tee and a fleece and a waterproof jacket / rain pants were adequate. Light weight wool gloves and waterproof mittens kept hands warm. Wool watch cap helped a lot. Trail was sloppy in places such that boots were better than low cut shoes. Next day and all others that followed were mostly pleasant. By the time you get to the Meseta the weather should be warmer.

Buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am interested in this subject as well as I am leaving 1 May. How much warmer does it get from there to mid June as you progress along the St Frances, as I can't decide what ratio of cloths to bring for sun/rain/wind etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We crossed the Pyrenees in early May. Definitely layer (I had merino wool baselayer, a fleece shirt, and a raincoat - possibly another long-sleeve shirt, along with a wool skull cap, ball cap, glove liners, and fingerless gloves). The weather can be nice or crappy. For example, when we crossed from Valcarlos to Roncessvalles, we wound up wearing t-shirts and shorts. The next day, it snowed. Be prepared for spring weather.
Wow, so all seasons within a few days😅 I decided to bring exactly what you suggested plus I will add a buff too. Thank you for chiming in!

I walked the Napoleon Route in sleet and light snow on May 1, 2018. Temperature was around 0 deg C all day and the wind was strong at times. Layers of things you would normally carry (eg, long sleeve tee and a fleece and a waterproof jacket / rain pants were adequate. Light weight wool gloves and waterproof mittens kept hands warm. Wool watch cap helped a lot. Trail was sloppy in places such that boots were better than low cut shoes. Next day and all others that followed were mostly pleasant. By the time you get to the Meseta the weather should be warmer.

Buen camino
Thank you for the reminder! I need to buy waterproof mittens. My boots did not survive my second Camino so I tried switching to Hokas. I love the shoes but I am thinking about checking out their boots. Seems like they would help me more on uneven terrain and in mud🤔

(I had merino wool baselayer, a fleece shirt, and a raincoat - possibly another long-sleeve shirt, along with a wool skull cap, ball cap, glove liners, and fingerless gloves
Except for the fingerless gloves, this is exactly what I plan to bring! Lots of layering possibilities to adjust to the weather.

I'll be a few days behind you, I depart SJPP May 10. Very interested in what others have to say on this topic. Like you, I'm bringing a light sleeping bag/liner rated down to 50 degrees F. My plan is to wear a Merino wool or silk long-sleeve base layer and bottom to bed for added warmth. Haven't decided yet between Merino or silk. I just ordered the Merino base layers. If it gets really cold, they can also be used on the trail. I did this a couple of times when I hiked the El Camino Real (California Mission Trail) in the winter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Scully, I am starting on 26th April, taking a light sleeping bag and looking to layers as protection from the cold.
Nice! I’m excited to try out my lightweight sleeping bag. It will be a nice switch from my liner.

Thank you for the reminder! I need to buy waterproof mittens. My boots did not survive my second Camino so I tried switching to Hokas. I love the shoes but I am thinking about checking out their boots. Seems like they would help me more on uneven terrain and in mud🤔
I have never walked in May so I can't say but I have had lots of experiences in different weather conditions. I personally would rather feel cold than hot. If you are cold in an albergue there is always something to wear. One night on the Norte in November, I only had a sleep sack and you could see your breath (ever so slightly in the albergue) I bundled up and slept fine I was on the Meseta in 3 years apart and the exact same time in October. In 2012 it was 90+ almost every day (other days 85+) without a cloud in the sky. In 2015 it never got above about 45 (This is all Fahrenheit readings not Celcius of course). It was below 40 in the mornings, rain usually hard all day and a high wind in my face to make sure i got the full force of the rain. Last December in early afternoon I walked from Finestere to the lighthouse in a t-shirt with my jacket tied to my waist. My point is, drumroll please,, who knows what will happen! And I guess my philosophy is I can always keep adding but I can only subtract so much.

I am interested in this subject as well as I am leaving 1 May. How much warmer does it get from there to mid June as you progress along the St Frances, as I can't decide what ratio of cloths to bring for sun/rain/wind etc.
Pauline, Don't bring anything other than a wool cap and perhaps some waterproof mittens for for cold weather. Most of the days will be temperate to warm weather. Some will be hot. Rain, wind and cold can happen but you can manage cold weather with layers. Also remember you will be walking and that alone generates a lot of body heat.

On rainy days - hot or cold-- you definitely need light weight rain- and wind-proof outerwear. IMO jackets are better than ponchos in wet and windy conditions you may encounter in late spring. After that it's all about layers.

I carry short and long sleeve shirts -- one light-weight fleece pull over, one long sleeve shirt with a collar (my "dress" shirt for restaurant dinners in cities) and one long sleeve merino wool tee shirt (Icebreaker 200 weight is good). Everything else is short short sleeve and light weight so it can be worn on hot days either with sleeves rolled up or down to keep the sun off.

Odds are the worst weather you will experience in May will be a few cold windy rainy days. On those days you can stay warm by wearing everything in your pack. Start a short sleeve tee shirt (or two) against the skin, then a long sleeve merino tee, then the long sleeve shirt, then your light fleece, then your rain shell. To keep your legs warm wear the convertible long pants under your rain pants. With gloves (wool glove liners are great) and a wool cap you're good to go on the coldest of days. If your hands get cold easily, bring a pair of light weight waterproof mittens to go over your gloves. (They weigh nothing - I've used them three or four times over 100+ days of Camino walking). And, lastly a buff will keep your neck and face warm if the weather is really nasty.

Bottom line is all of the items above are on the standard packing lists. You prepare for adverse weather by creative use of these limited resources. It's all part of the adventure!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pauline, Don't bring anything other than a wool cap and perhaps some waterproof mittens for for cold weather. Most of the days will be temperate to warm weather. Some will be hot. Rain, wind and cold can happen but you can manage cold weather with layers. Also remember you will be walking and that alone generates a lot of body heat.

On rainy days - hot or cold-- you definitely need light weight rain- and wind-proof outerwear. IMO jackets are better than ponchos in wet and windy conditions you may encounter in late spring. After that it's all about layers.

I carry short and long sleeve shirts -- one light-weight fleece pull over, one long sleeve shirt with a collar (my "dress" shirt for restaurant dinners in cities) and one long sleeve merino wool tee shirt (Icebreaker 200 weight is good). Everything else is short short sleeve and light weight so it can be worn on hot days either with sleeves rolled up or down to keep the sun off.

Odds are the worst weather you will experience in May will be a few cold windy rainy days. On those days you can stay warm by wearing everything in your pack. Start a short sleeve tee shirt (or two) against the skin, then a long sleeve merino tee, then the long sleeve shirt, then your light fleece, then your rain shell. To keep your legs warm wear the convertible long pants under your rain pants. With gloves (wool glove liners are great) and a wool cap you're good to go on the coldest of days. If your hands get cold easily, bring a pair of light weight waterproof mittens to go over your gloves. (They weigh nothing - I've used them three or four times over 100+ days of Camino walking). And, lastly a buff will keep your neck and face warm if the weather is really nasty.

Bottom line is all of the items above are on the standard packing lists. You prepare for adverse weather by creative use of these limited resources. It's all part of the adventure!
Thanks, very comprehensive answer. Have my waterproofs sorted, so I'll rethink some of the longer sleeved stuff as I need to shed some weight in the pack.

I crossed the Pyrenees on Jun 9/10 2021, and it was definitely cold enough at different points to require multiple layers of clothing. Depended on whether I was climbing or descending - and how much wind I was experiencing at the different elevations. Then it got really warm after that until Pamplona - where I foolishly mailed home some of my warm layers. After Pamplona it got cold and rainy... and remained cold all the way until my last day heading into Finisterre (sometime in mid-July). The mornings and evenings I was quite chilled and didn't have enough layers. I had a short sleeve shirt, with a long sleeve shirt, with a merino wool half-zip, a lightweight fleece (that I purchased after being so cold after sending my down puffy home), and my rain jacket and was often still cold. This year I am brining my down puffy instead of a fleece. And if I am still cold this year - I will buy another fleece (last year I could have used the fleece AND a puffy)

As for the hat - if you have a buff - you can use that as a hat. I didn't have cold weather gloves - I used sun protection gloves since I was more concerned about sunburns rather than cold hands when I packed. They worked fine enough to help keep my hands warm - and if they hadn't - I could have used my extra socks for additional hand warmth.

Anyhow - you might get a lot of nice warm weather - but I didn't last summer - and being cold is miserable for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I walked over the Pyrenees twice in mid-April. It was quite chlilly both times. Since most of the walk is uphill, I was plenty warm much of the time. I did stay at Orisson both times, and found it chilly there too, but was able to warm up with soup etc. I don't remember being cold at night even though a leisurely hot shower is not in the cards there (when I was there both times, shower was timed).

The second time I walked, it was snowy on the second day, quite windy and cold. Most of us were feeling frigid. But once we got to Roncesvalles, it was warmer.

Since this is only 2 days of your walk and you already have layers, I would just add wooly head covering and gloves.

Buen Camino!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Since this is only 2 days of your walk and you already have layers, I would just add wooly head covering and gloves.
Could I double up on those or am I underestimating the weather in the Pyrenees in May?
@Scully, I am with @Priscilla NC on this, as well as others. When I crossed from SJPP in late March, 2010, I had to remove the thermal layers I thought I needed. I was sweating profusely I was that warm, much more than I would usually when walking. Finding a place to do that was interesting!

Since then, I have never doubled up with heavier weight or additional layering items. I find that if I can create four layers - base, middle, warm and wet/wind resistant - that is normally enough. My 'evening dress' clothes are the same as my base and mid-layer walking clothes, so it would be possible to add another base or mid-layer if it got very cold. This has only happened to me once in all my pilgrimages, and not in the Pyrenees.

I’m starting 16th May from SJJP
Icebreaker 200 base layer, Rab mid layer, Rab lightweight down jacket, Rab Gortex shell jacket
Also will pack 2 Bamboo T shirts, Buff, Hat, Sealskin Gloves, lightweight travel shirt & ex military Gortex lightweight over trousers
Sea to Summit Thermal liner

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@Scully On April 16, 2016, my second time going over these Pyrenees. It was chilly and oh so windy 💨 💨 💨💨💨 I thought I was going to take flight. There was snow at the top. Here’s a look at how I used my buff 😂 hold on to your hats. Also, a video at the top. 😁 Be ready for the unexpected.
9D288573-00B0-4CFF-9B3F-2A3320635DF7.jpeg
View attachment IMG_1873.MOV

I used a lightweight down vest under my wind/rain jacket on those chilly mornings. Oh and that lightweight sleeping bag is like a cocoon on those chilly Spring nights.
Buen Camino 😎👣

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm also starting out May 1! I've done my packing list zillion times trying to decide on layers, etc.

I was reminded that May 1 is a holiday in Europe by arriving in Bayonne that day and having an "interesting" time getting to SJPDP. You can probably get more solid information about just what will be closed/have a different schedule by checking online.

I was reminded that May 1 is a holiday in Europe by arriving in Bayonne that day and having an "interesting" time getting to SJPDP. You can probably get more solid information about just what will be closed/have a different schedule by checking online.
Thank you. I am actually arriving late on 29th April and will buy any provisions and go to the office on 30th. Only thing to do on 1st is walk to Auberge Borda and Laurant is expecting us. Still probably useful for others arriving on 1st.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you. I am actually arriving late on 29th April and will buy any provisions and go to the office on 30th. Only thing to do on 1st is walk to Auberge Borda and Laurant is expecting us. Still probably useful for others arriving on 1st.
Oh just to add that the 1st is a Sunday, and so the public holiday would be more likely to be on Monday 2nd.

@Scully On April 16, 2016, my second time going over these Pyrenees. It was chilly and oh so windy 💨 💨 💨💨💨 I thought I was going to take flight. There was snow at the top. Here’s a look at how I used my buff 😂 hold on to your hats. Also, a video at the top. 😁 Be ready for the unexpected.
View attachment 121075
View attachment 121076

I used a lightweight down vest under my wind/rain jacket on those chilly mornings. Oh and that lightweight sleeping bag is like a cocoon on those chilly Spring nights.
Buen Camino 😎👣
Wow! That wind is wild!!!😅

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Don't throw it away! Put it in the donation box at an albergue. I guarantee someone else will snap it up!
Always! I love the donation boxes along the way. I have given and taken many useful items during my other Caminos…one time one of my Camino family found a chocolate bar!!😅

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back