• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pyrenees

Mary Banet

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2016
Starting my Camino in middle to late April. I know no one can forecast the weather but is there usually snow in the Pyrenees. Is it passable? Thank you in advance for any information that would help.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Robert got it right. Weather has been unpredictable (meaning crazy) for some time now and past history doesn't count for much anymore. The Pilgrims office in SJPP will have all the information and do listen to them. In the past the Spanish would send out the calvary to rescue unheedful pilgrims, today they still might but you will pay the bill! Valcarlos is an option should time be an issue.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Pilgrim Office mentioned in the two posts above is centrally located on the camino at 39 rue de La Citadelle in SJPdP. Staffed by friendly, multi-lingual volunteers the office is open every day throughout the year. They can provide you with up to date weather/trail info, maps, and handy list of albergues. They also provide Credentials and will help find you accommodation. Furthermore the office is a great place to meet other pilgrims.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Starting my Camino in middle to late April. I know no one can forecast the weather but is there usually snow in the Pyrenees. Is it passable? Thank you in advance for any information that would help.
Started first Camino late April.Pilgrim office told those starting that we were first to cross the Napoleon route in two weeks due to snow.We had brilliant sunshine but still patches of deep snow,so listen to their advice and Buen Camino.

And it can change overnight or indeed in a few hours. Also remember the conditions in SJPDP are no measure of the situation on the peaks so listen to the locals and get your information the day you walk not the day before. When I walked it went from blue skies and sunshine to whiteout conditions overnight.
Don't be afraid of changing your mind. I had to make a decision to turn back at up the Cruceiro (yes I did have a bit of a micro hissy fit) and slog it down to Arneguy to join the Valcarlos route to Roncevalles. It had just been rainy and grey leaving SJPP but the conditions became more severe with ascent. However as I'd seen two pilgrims being brought off the mountain to safety by a local shepherd up at the Curceiro- he'd found them when he went to bring in some of his ewes- it wasn't so hard to make the right choice in the heel of the hunt!
The good news is that later that day the RN was passable again so, as a previous poster said, if crossing by the RN is your 'thing'* you can just sit it out. (*I had thought crossing by the RN was mine but discovered that actually sitting drinking a hot port wearing dry clothes in Roncevalles was ;))

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Pilgrim Office mentioned in the two posts above is centrally located on the camino at 39 rue de La Citadelle in SJPdP. Staffed by friendly, multi-lingual volunteers the office is open every day throughout the year. They can provide you with up to date weather/trail info, maps, and handy list of albergues. They also provide Credentials and will help find you accommodation. Furthermore the office is a great place to meet other pilgrims.

Buen Camino!
There is a Hostel literally 10 steps on the other side of the street. Very nice place, can't remember the name but the front door looks directly into the Pilgrim office. 15 Euros

Do what the helpful staff at the St. Jean Pied de Port Pilgrim Office, Rue de Citadelle #39 tell you...period!

If in doubt, take the Valcarlos Route. If that is also impinged by bad weather, discretion IS the better part of valor. Take a bus, taxi, or shared coach around to Roncesvalles. Contact Express Bourricot at: http://www.expressbourricot.com/en/. Caroline runs a shuttle service daily.

The Pyrenees are beautiful year-round, but not worth risking life and limb. Recall that, in THAT movie, the son tries to take a detour on a foggy (typical) day and falls off the mountain...? It was a real possibility, and still is. Okay, my point is made.

I hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hi Mary, this year in April the 18th I walked the Napoleon route and there was still some snow. I had a great walk that day. And it was slipery down to Roncesvalles. The pilgrim office will tell you if it's safe to walk the Napoleon route.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

I have done a lot of walking in the Pyrenees over the years and it can be be pretty unpredictable until the end of June. But that part is fairly low and not to difficult but......if you are a typical pilgrim I would strongly suggest that you talk to someone in the pilgrims office before you set out.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My husband walked the Napolean route in mid May 2013 in the snow (on the trail) and flurries on and off. Not for long though. I'll be walking the meseta in early April and will pack with layers just in case! Hoping for wild flower weather though.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had booked both Beilari and Orrison in June for my late Sept start. Between the warm and wonderful service at StJPdP office, a beautiful reception/dinner at Beilari, ditto in Orrison, picture-perfect crystal clear weather and the friendships formed, it was all such a beautiful way to begin my journey……when just the week before they were not letting folks go the Pyrenees route. How blessed was I!

Thank all of you for your good information. My first stop will be the Camino office.I ama pretty cautious person. Won't take too many risks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Starting my camino from St jean on april 13th. Maybe ill see you!

On my first Camino, I started in Roncesvalles. For the second Camino, I am determined to do the Napoleon Route. I requested a reservation at Orisson for the night of 11 April 2016, but have not received a response from them yet.

Now I am wondering: Let's say the weather is bad and I decide to wait it over in SJPP for a few days--will I be able to make another reservation at Orisson on a short notice?

I realize that the general answer is "It depends," but I am interested in personal experiences.

Thank you,
Victoria

Starting my camino from St jean on april 13th. Maybe ill see you!
I will be on the Ryanair flight from Stansted into Biarritz on the 12th April and I too will be starting my Camino on 13th April. I am looking forward to this trip more than words can say.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will be on the Ryanair flight from Stansted into Biarritz on the 12th April and I too will be starting my Camino on 13th April. I am looking forward to this trip more than words can say.
Hey Gareth, I'm getting into Biarritz at around 5PM on the 11th and taking a day to rest after around 20hrs of traveling. I booked a hotel in SJPDP and plan on an early start on the 13th. Hopefully we'll see each other. Im pretty excited about the trip too. It's been a long time in the making.

I will be overnighting in SJPdP and on 13th up and off early in the morning too. I am hoping to do the Napoleon Route.

I will be overnighting in SJPdP and on 13th up and off early in the morning too. I am hoping to do the Napoleon Route.
Im hoping to do the napoleon route too but only if the weather cooperates. I don't want to fall off a mountain on the first day. That's my 160lb french mastiff
baby Otis.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm another April 13th starter, flying in from Dublin to Biarritz on 12th! Keep a look out for a 66 year old with no sense of direction but oodles of enthusiem.

I'm another April 13th starter, flying in from Dublin to Biarritz on 12th! Keep a look out for a 66 year old with no sense of direction but oodles of enthusiem.
Hi Peterk. Thanks for posting. Its nice to see someone else will be leaving on the 13th. I plan on taking the Napoleon route. Hopefully we will see each other. I was a bit nerves that i would be the only one starting that day. I am flying into Biarritz on the 11th. I booked a hotel and wanted to rest a day before starting. I have 24hours of traveling from the US the first day. Maybe we can grab a Guinness on the 12th!
Buen Camino, Bill

Hi Peter,

I've booked www.expressbourricot.com (or at least trying to as she's shut down til Jan 4th) to ferry me from Biarritz to St Jean Pied de Port. Are you or anyone else arriving into Biarritz on the 12th that wants to share the taxi and keep costs down?

I've looked at taking the train but it would involve two trains and the webpage for the trains seems to indicate that they'll be doing some works on the line and might not be running. To complicate matters further my flight doesn't arrive until 17:05 which means I'll probably miss the last train anyway.

Have a look at the express bourricot website and make an enquiry if you're interested. She automatically makes up groups to save pilgrims pennies!

I too am happy to meet up for an alcoholic beverage of any kind (including Guinness). Having visited Dublin I fully concur that Guinness drunk elsewhere is just not quite so good.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Bill and Gareth, I hope to get a train from Biarritz to SJDP, however, I haven't checked out it not running or exact times. May have to opt for the express. Arriving at SJDP I imagined it was permissible to stay the first night in an albergue?
Maybe we'll leave the Guiness till Santiago but the wine ... not the wine!

Buen Camino, Peter.

... Arriving at SJDP I imagined it was permissible to stay the first night in an albergue? ...

Yes, perfectly permissible and the pilgrims office will help you to find a free bed. However, if you arrive late or want to be sure you have a bed in your preferred location you can always reserve a bed in one of the private albergues. Reduces a bit the stress of the first day/travel day. Buen Camino, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Peter,

I've booked www.expressbourricot.com (or at least trying to as she's shut down til Jan 4th) to ferry me from Biarritz to St Jean Pied de Port. Are you or anyone else arriving into Biarritz on the 12th that wants to share the taxi and keep costs down?

I've looked at taking the train but it would involve two trains and the webpage for the trains seems to indicate that they'll be doing some works on the line and might not be running. To complicate matters further my flight doesn't arrive until 17:05 which means I'll probably miss the last train anyway.

Have a look at the express bourricot website and make an enquiry if you're interested. She automatically makes up groups to save pilgrims pennies!

I too am happy to meet up for an alcoholic beverage of any kind (including Guinness). Having visited Dublin I fully concur that Guinness drunk elsewhere is just not quite so good.
Going by my past experience, if the trains aren't cooperating they put everyone on a coach. That's from Bayonne. But it sounds like you're set. Enjoy!

We are starting in St Jean on April 14th!!
Good Luck on your Camino, if you are doing the leg to Roncesvalles in one leg, I see you there as although I start the day before, I'm having an easy(ish) start by stopping at Orisson.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, we walked from SJPP to Pamplona in the first week of April last year. There was full sun everyday with no rain until Pamplona although there was a lot of snow on the ground on top of the pass. The train from Bayonne was not running out of season but there was a coach. The auto ticket machine at the station only gave 8 out of 9 tickets ordered so I had to queue to buy another and they kept the coach waiting for me! SNCF later refunded the money. We stayed at Ferme Ithurburia, Huntto a couple of km before Orisson and it was very nice. Have a good one.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back