Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Q : Finding fellow pilgrims who walked at the same time

Sebastian Cohen

Year of past OR future Camino
Soon to be Camino Frances
Is this the right place for this? I'm a bit unsure, it's quite collection of rabbit holes this forum hehe, easy to fall down the wrong one.

I know there is a search function and I have tried that a little, but quickly found out it wouldn't work for what I wanted. Also sorting pictures, but that was lacking.

1. I want to be able to sort/find users/pilgrims according to which dates/year they walked. Personally, I would like to find some of the peregrinos I walked with and share some of my images. I would also like to know, are there some pictures of me out there? I don't have many of those. I have a few on my Facebook or Instagram, but that's only the close ones I met. There are still a few "I wonder what happened to that pilgrim" floating around in my head from time to time.

Is there a function where you could enter the dates you walked and then you can find the people overlapping who walked the same time. If not, it's a suggestion. More like a "Class of 2016". If you want to get nerdy, you could enter waypoints yourself for when you were at a certain location. (Dates from your photos are excellent for this).

2. I want to find images from others who walked at the same time as me. Perhaps sort images according to the EXIF dates, not only when they were uploaded or after what the uploaders themselves entered regarding month/year. I also want to share some of mine this way.

3. A clubhouse or fraternity for the pilgrims that walked the same year/month. Everyone's camino is unique and we all share similar experiences. But only those that walked through THAT storm on La Maseta remembers how it felt. Or when that hospitalero ran out of tortilla and there was an uproar. A "narrower" way to share your experiences.

4. A "Does anyone remember the name of this person" type of sub-forum. Like a "Most Wanted" poster of sorts hehe. Someone must remember this ONE person or group you want to get in contact with again. Needs to be broken down into year and month. Not just a big room with a million faces.

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

David Tallan

Veteran Member
I wonder if something might be done with the calendar to support this? I know we can put the start date of our upcoming caminos in the calendar. Perhaps we could also put the start dates of our past caminos there, too. Then, if the calendar is searchable, you could pull up the entries for a particular time period.

If the idea is to have a subforum for pilgrims who walked at the same time (on the same route), then I suggest naming conventions for thread titles in introductions. Something like "Day Month Year [of start], Route". Then a forum search for "Month Year Route" would bring up the desired people.

Raggy

Veteran Member
I quite like the idea of a digital social network for people on the move. The interface - with people's timelines and social media posts plotted on the camino itself - could be quite interesting. Users could follow an individual's progress or focus on one area and see people stream through it. Bicigrinos would appear like shooting stars - fast moving trails of memories that track across the map and pass clusters of pilgrims whose relative positions are constant, and who emit closely intertwined collections of memories.

Given the volume of people walking the same route, I guess it would have a lot of appeal. I would guess that a lot of people would learn about it through word of mouth, while on the Camino itself. A "Camino Class of 21" type of community...

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Not sure if this is a good idea. I for one would not like photos of myself published in a public domain, along with info about where I have been, and when...

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
So, why are you on this site to begin with? Now we know what you look like and that you walked The Camino.
What I post about myself in public domain, is my business. I don't want others to post details on the Net about me without my consent. But I am sure you understand what I mean.

André Walker

Never loosing my way: always standing on it
Holland-St.Jean, Frances, Del Norte, VdlP.
Not sure if this is a good idea. I for one would not like photos of myself published in a public domain, along with info about where I have been, and when...
Well, Alex, I have a pretty good idea what you were doing in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 and where that was. Just the 'with whom' is missing...

Gently Pilgrims, gently. The Moderators on this forum do not like to encourage attempts to find people through these pages. Please remember that not everybody wants to be found. Your perception of that brief encounter (pun intended) may be very different to theirs.

I'm absolutely certain that the gentleman whose image I use has been bewildered more than once by some total stranger shouting "Oy, Tinker!"

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Well, Alex, I have a pretty good idea what you were doing in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 and where that was. Just the 'with whom' is missing...
Yes you have, because I chose to let you know, without further details. Read my post above once more.

I understand the wish to seek up friends from one's Camino afterwards. I've been there myself. But IMHO, opening up this forum for posting details of where/when/how/etc. of persons, without their knowledge or/and permission, could perhaps be called some sort of stalking. If this forum should allow such things, it could easily be accused of breach of privacy of its members. That some forum members are posting details in the forum calendar, is another matter: It is their own choice.

Just my 0.02 Euros, and I'll leave it at that.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
I'm absolutely certain that the gentleman whose image I use has been bewildered more than once by some total stranger shouting "Oy, Tinker!"
🤣 🤣 🤣

CaminoSupply.com
Apparel and accessories for your Camino
Camino Portugués Digital Guide Image
I update my digital guides frequently, for FREE for all purchases up to one year!

Bert45

(2003) Francés, (2014) Francés, (2016) Portugués , (2016) Aragonés, (2018) del Norte to Primitivo,
How I wish I'd got contact details of some of the many pilgrims I walked with on my caminos! But I don't know what I'd say after a fairly short while. It would be good just to know that they're still alive! I did get some contact details, but either they've changed their email address, or they don't want to communicate with me. Of course, not all the people I want to communicate with will be on this forum, and, even if they are, they may not read this thread. But, if you're out there, Erin and Melissa (2003) do get in touch. Surnames don't seem to matter on the camino.

Camino Frances (2015, 2017, 2019) and plans for 2021 (Sept, Oct)
Very easy to collect email addresses along the way if we want to stay in contact. Also, when I retired I had "business cards" printed up (Vista Print) with a photo of my wife and myself, our home address, our emails, and our cell phone numbers. For those I wanted to remain in contact, I simply handed them a card. Bob

Rj7797

Frances 2017
This sounds like an idea for a website that you could create to ask people to voluntarily sign up for if they so pleased. Facebook seems to function like this for my "group" and I still seem to run into "friends of friends" suggestions from 4 years ago.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
To have such a system would require extensive database management meeting all appropriate requirements for privacy, data verification, permissions, etc. etc. Facebook and Google will undoubtedly get there before any humble little forum like ours does (or wants to).
I know. All my life I have designed databases. It is complicated.

I have been thinking about this thread, and how some do not see the depth of personal relationships, and also the need for letting them go. So, I'll give you a story:

I was once staying in the municipal albergue in Viana. There was also an (older than me) woman. I had met her on a couple of occacions, but this evening we walked to a park nearby and sat on a bench overlooking the valley beneath us, beautiful evening, and she cried while telling me her story:

She had been left by her lifelong husband, for a younger woman. She needed to walk for regaining some peace in her life, but she had lost her "Camino family" she had become so dependant on. She was now totally alone. I let her have my shoulder for crying over her misery, and told her that she would find her Camino family again. I reassured her when she asked, several times. She so missed them: They were like a stronghold in her Camino life.

Three days later I met her again, and she had found her lost Camino family, and was happy as ever.

I never saw her again, but I am sure she got to Santiago with her "family".

I am also quite certain that she was happy not to see me again: She had revealed her innermost tristesse, sorrow and grief, to a complete stranger. I also suppose she needed it. She needed to talk it out, for herself, not for me. Of course.

I also suppose I came to know her better than her deceiving husband. Beautiful woman, but it was then and there.

Edit: Do not misunderstand: I was a good boy, behaving well.

Such can the Camino be.

Live in the now.

Last edited:
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
There's an app for that.
Camino Connections. I'm not sure that it does everything that you are looking for though. I actually met the app's creator when sharing a taxi in Finisterre.

RJM

Veteran Member
A few times
I have actually seen three of the forum members on different Camino's over the years. Members who post their names and actual photos of their faces. I did not say anything to them, but it was interesting to see them. Two of them I sat at the same communal meal tables with them.

Richard Smith

Frances 2016
Kumano Kodo 2014
If the idea is to have a subforum for pilgrims who walked at the same time (on the same route), then I suggest naming conventions for thread titles in introductions. Something like "Day Month Year [of start], Route". Then a forum search for "Month Year Route" would bring up the desired people.
I suggest Route Year Month Day naming order. When you get a list it would be good to see day before and day after for your route rather than all the entries for 9 June.
My wife and I walked the CF in 45 days, so many people we met halfway through started after us (although we saw quite a few that kept pace with us).

David Tallan

Veteran Member
I was thinking of it as an opportunity for people to post about themselves and allow themselves to be found by those walking at the same time/same route. That would be no different than all of the other self-revelations routinely shared in this forum. Not to post and tag about others.

Caminos Francais: 2002, 2012, 2019. (Future Ingles, Primitivo, Portuguese in 2021)
As I was writing my memoir of my 2002 Camino Frances, I was surprised how often a particularly inspiring, insightful or just plain awesome encounter prompted my writing "and I never saw them again".

What had passed in those pilgrim interactions was providential, co-created and in perfect timing. Done and dusted. And. like the adventure of the Camino itself, it was for me to observe and file the encounter away in the 3 x 5 file card index box of my soul ... and keep walking.

Therefore, with two exceptions, pilgrim reconnection with the particular year or season or route has never occurred to me.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Portugués Digital Guide Image
I update my digital guides frequently, for FREE for all purchases up to one year!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads