• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD QR code

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Momwiz

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese 2019
Please forgive my misunderstanding, but I am still uncertain when I may be getting my QR code. I did fill out the form and according to the Spain healthDepartment site my status is “unfinished.” However, I thought I would get a confirmation email that says that I have at least filled out The form. I have not received that. When should I expect my QR code? I am the type of person that will be extremely nervous if I have to wait two days before my departure which is October 18 to receive the QR code! Any help out there? 😩

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
2 days before you depart for spain

I did fill out the form and according to the Spain healthDepartment site my status is “unfinished.” However, I thought I would get a confirmation email that says that I have at least filled out The form. I have not received that. When should I expect my QR code? I am the type of person that will be extremely nervous if I have to wait two days before my departure which is October 18 to receive the QR code!
Hi @Momwiz, I see from another post of yours that you will be flying from the United States to Spain. This is important to know because the kind of QR code you get from the Spanish health department's website depends on a number of factors. Under their current system, people get either a Fast Control QR code or a Documental Control QR code.

The earliest that people can receive the Spanish QR code is 48 hours before travelling. This is when they can complete the application form. Once you have completed the form correctly you will receive the QR code immediately.

At the time of writing (27 August 2021), travellers flying directly from the USA to Spain do not have to provide any proof - no proof of vaccination, no tests. They receive a Fast Control QR code.

This can change, and this is the reason why you can already now start filling in the application form for your October flight but you cannot complete it weeks or months before the start of your trip. Every traveller needs to stay up to date with the entry conditions that apply to their trip.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @Momwiz, I see from another post of yours that you will be flying from the United States to Spain. This is important to know because the kind of QR code you get from the Spanish health department's website depends on a number of factors. Under their current system, people get either a Fast Control QR code or a Documental Control QR code.

The earliest that people can receive the Spanish QR code is 48 hours before travelling. This is when they can complete the application form. Once you have completed the form correctly you will receive the QR code immediately.

At the time of writing (27 August 2021), travellers from the USA to Spain do not have to provide any proof - no proof of vaccination, no tests. They receive a Fast Control QR code.

This can change, and this is the reason why you can filling in the application form now but you cannot complete it weeks or months before the start of your trip. Every traveller needs to stay up to date with the entry conditions that apply to their trip.
Thank you so much for your prompt reply and also the information that there are actually TWO kinds of QR codes! Nowhere on the Spanish health site did I see that mentioned! I am hoping to get a COVID booster before my trip and I will take my vaccination card with me in case it’s needed. Thanks again!

Please forgive my misunderstanding, but I am still uncertain when I may be getting my QR code. I did fill out the form and according to the Spain healthDepartment site my status is “unfinished.” However, I thought I would get a confirmation email that says that I have at least filled out The form. I have not received that. When should I expect my QR code? I am the type of person that will be extremely nervous if I have to wait two days before my departure which is October 18 to receive the QR code! Any help out there? 😩
I’m on the Camino now and no one in Spain has asked for the code. In France you need the French code to get served anywhere but so far not here.

I’m on the Camino now and no one in Spain has asked for the code. In France you need the French code to get served anywhere but so far not here.
Did your QR code get checked at the airport when you entered Spain?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I assume that you walked from SJPP into Spain. If that is correct then from what I have read in many places the code only applies to people that are flying (also maybe by boat) into Spain. If you are walking they do not ask for it. I have also read here once or twice that people flying in were allowed in without being asked for their QR code by customs officers.

At the time of writing (27 August 2021), travellers flying directly from the USA to Spain do not have to provide any proof - no proof of vaccination, no tests. They receive a Fast Control QR code.

This can change, and this is the reason why you can already now start filling in the application form for your October flight but you cannot complete it weeks or months before the start of your trip. Every traveller needs to stay up to date with the entry conditions that apply to their trip.
The information by Kathar1na is very important especially the last sentence of her post.

Do I need a QR code for each EU country I plan to visit? Or is there one QR code for all EU? I thought the latter was the case, but now I think I am wrong. I plan to visit France, Italy, Portugal and Spain in Oct/Nov.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and also the information that there are actually TWO kinds of QR codes! Nowhere on the Spanish health site did I see that mentioned! I am hoping to get a COVID booster before my trip and I will take my vaccination card with me in case it’s needed. Thanks again!
I have gotten my booster (I depart for Spain Sept 1).. remember, it takes about a week for the booster to come up to its max efficacy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Do I need a QR code for each EU country I plan to visit? Or is there one QR code for all EU? I thought the latter was the case, but now I think I am wrong. I plan to visit France, Italy, Portugal and Spain in Oct/Nov.
On the forum, we talk about a small zoo of QR codes:
  • the QR codes that EU Europeans get from their health services; works in every EU country;
  • the QR codes issued in the UK; works in France but not in every EU country;
  • the QR codes that Americans, Canadians and others receive per email from the French government; works in France, perhaps in other EU countries, most likely not in every one of them (nobody on the forum has tested it yet afaik);
  • the Spanish airport QR codes issued through their SpTH system; an animal in a category of its own; active in Spanish airports and maritime ports only.
You plan to travel in October/November to France, Italy, Portugal and Spain. Much will have changed by then. Maybe you will not need any QR codes. Maybe there will be more interoperability.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Did your QR code get checked at the airport when you entered Spain?
I flew into France, so I haven’t yet been to an airport in Spain (I don’t think the cows on the Pyrenees cared), but because I will be going through Spanish airports on the way home, I got one. I like the posts explaining that the codes are not for the same purposes country to country.

I had the same thing. I finished. The QR code comes in the 48 hours before you enter Spain, so they can check your covid status. Mine didn’t work in the app, so at the 48 hour mark I filled the first part in again on my computer and was immediately sent an email with link to QR code.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had the same thing. I finished. The QR code comes in the 48 hours before you enter Spain, so they can check your covid status. Mine didn’t work in the app, so at the 48 hour mark I filled the first part in again on my computer and was immediately sent an email with link to QR code.
Unfinished

Where did you get your booster? I thought they hadn’t started yet?
After calling two of my doctors and having them say just go and get it, I went to the local CVS and got my booster immediately. All I had to do was show that I’ve already had the first two shots. No questions asked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back