• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD QR Codes

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanderingfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello friends,
I have a question re: the health QR codes. I have the qr for Spain. In the website i am reading that the gateway system is for all of the EU. So, that would seem to say if I have the Spanish QR code, it will be acceptable in all EU countries. Ivar, do you have insights into this?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello friends,
I have a question re: the health QR codes. I have the qr for Spain. In the website i am reading that the gateway system is for all of the EU. So, that would seem to say if I have the Spanish QR code, it will be acceptable in all EU countries. Ivar, do you have insights into this?
Can you clarify this ?
How was the qr obtained? Are we talking about the SpTH app?
What passport do you hold? Where are you traveling from?

so sorry for so many questions but it’s all so complicated.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
have a question re: the health QR codes. I have the qr for Spain. In the website i am reading that the gateway system is for all of the EU. So, that would seem to say if I have the Spanish QR code, it will be acceptable in all EU countries.
Highly unlikely that the qr for Spain that you have will pass through the gateway system for all of the EU.

Can you perhaps share the link to the website that you have been reading?

On the App: Re-Open EU
There is a misunderstanding somewhere but it is difficult to tell where without knowing more about what you read on Re-open EU. The Spanish SpTH QR code is not an EU DCC QR code. Meaning: You cannot scan the SpTH QR into any of the EU Digital Covid certificate apps that the various EU countries developed, and when you scan it with one of their verification apps it will give you an error message or a not-valid message or just do nothing. Try it. You can download these apps from the AppStore; some can only be downloaded in the EU country whose government had developed them but a number of these apps can be downloaded without geo-restriction, for example the two French apps.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here is my understanding which may not be accurate!

The SpTH app gives a qr to facilitate passing through customs control. Because Canada is not an “ at risk” country the code is not a guarantee that you are vaccinated but only that you have no symptoms.
It is unlike the French qr which is accepted in the EU because you will have previously proved and they will have verified that you are vaccinated.
But please do not blindly accept my explanation. I welcome any correction because I’m traveling soon and I too want to pass thru painlessly.
PS I believe you can only get a Spanish qr if you are traveling in the next 48 hrs. Perhaps another indicator that it is a signifier of your immediate health and not your vaccinations status.

Last edited:
But please do not blindly accept my explanation
It's a good enough explanation. The main thing is that the Spanish QR code and the French QR code that you, as a non-EU traveller, get are fundamentally different. The French QR code fits into the EU wide system, the Spanish QR code doesn't, it is a thing of its own and only good at Spanish airports.

Hello, can someone help clarify the SpTH app. We are traveling from the U.S. to Paris today. I have the France Anticovid App to get into France. We will stay in France two days then take a train to St Jean Pied De Port to start the Camino. When I enter the information into the SpTH app it wants the flight number. Any thoughts on what goes there. I was going to add the train number but was not sure. Thanks for all the help.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello, can someone help clarify the SpTH app. We are traveling from the U.S. to Paris today. I have the France Anticovid App to get into France. We will stay in France two days then take a train to St Jean Pied De Port to start the Camino. When I enter the information into the SpTH app it wants the flight number. Any thoughts on what goes there. I was going to add the train number but was not sure. Thanks for all the help.
I also flew to France and then took a train to SJPP and walked to Roncesvalles. Didn't have that Spanish QR. There is no place and nobody who could ask you for that. Just strange looking sheep near the border (see below).
Also when landing in France nobody asked me for my sworn statement (which was a bit disappointing). Don'tworry! Have a safe flight!

20210705_173514.jpg

Update: to cross the border, you go between the two hills where you can see that flying condor

20210705_180155.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not required for land travel into Spain.

I also flew to France and then took a train to SJPP and walked to Roncesvalles. Didn't have that Spanish QR. There is no place and nobody who could ask you for that. Just strange looking sheep near the border (see below).
Also when landing in France nobody asked me for my sworn statement (which was a bit disappointing). Don'tworry! Have a safe flight!

View attachment 107318
Love the sheep. I hope they are around when we walk through. Thanks for the heads up and pic. Take care.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What @BombayBill said. Although I know that it says so on the Spanish government's SpTH website and has said so for umpteen months, it always takes me ages to find it again. Here it is:

All persons travelling to Spain from another country (including children of any age, travellers in transit and residents in Spain returning home) must complete the Health Control Form associated with their trip. When travelling by air, this can be done via the web or the app Spain Travel Health-SpTH (available for Android and iOS). When travelling by sea (ferries), this can be done through the following link: spthm.puertos.es. [...]

Btw, for future reference 🤓: When there is border control at the internal borders of the EU, it is often no longer done at the border itself but by mobile units who operate further inland.

Last edited:
“All persons traveling to Spain…must complete the Health Control Form”. There are no exceptions. Nor are there any controls or verification procedures in place for people who insist in believing that the Camino Santiago starts in St Jean pd Porte 😉 and choose to walk across the border..

The Spanish airport QR code has a limited life span:
  • From the FAQ section on the Spanish government's website: the QR codes will be automatically deleted 7 days after the date of arrival in Spain.

• In the small print in the email that you receive with your Spanish QR code, directly underneath the QR image: This document is personal and non-transferable, it must be presented on a mandatory basis at the sanitary control of the destination airport. [...] We recommend its destruction after being shown at the airport health control.
As already said a few times: the Spanish QR code is of no use once you have left the airport.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
“All persons traveling to Spain…must complete the Health Control Form”. There are no exceptions. Nor are there any controls or verification procedures in place for people who insist in believing that the Camino Santiago starts in St Jean pd Porte 😉 and choose to walk across the border..
It says – All passengers arriving in Spain by air or sea must fill in a health control form before travelling. There ARE exceptions. So @Tincatinker statement is at best incomplete at worst misleading. I’m sorry but in my opinion a Moderator on this forum is seen as a source of good information and as someone who corrects other’s misunderstandings. Their statements carry more weight. Even if this was intended as a joke I still think it should be removed.

Last edited:
Erm ... since you are quoting, @Tincatinker, and it looks like I said that ... just for the record: I quoted verbatim from the Spanish website. The full quote starts with "All persons travelling to Spain" and ends with it is not mandatory to present any form if the trip to Spain is by land.

Let me expand this into a further and even longer post 😂. The person(s) who compose and update the SpTH website are not the most gifted internet communicators, in my most humble opinion. I am sure that they are good government administrators and, as they have been told to do, they summarise and copy/paste from the relevant legal acts. Which often go like this: Point 1) All persons have to do this and that. Then, several pages later, Point 538) What is written above applies to all persons but not to persons in the following situations .... Subpoint abbbd) those persons who travel on land.

☺️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have not been following this thread but think that the OP’s question has been answered.

As of TODAY, August 22, 2021, no QR code is required to enter Spain by land.

This may change tomorrow, or the next day, but I’m going to close the thread because there is some confusion and misinformation here that won’t be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back