• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

query about the Baztan route

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I've been looking at the Baztan route on a 1:25,000 scale and trying to line it up with written instructions from various sources (Laurie's translation and online guides I have found). Mostly I can make sense of it, but there are spots where I can see myself becoming the latest search and rescue story on national news!
For example, leaving Berroeta, it supposed to be possible to go down through Almandoz - that is easy enough to follow. But it is also supposed to be possible to go straight up over the hills. Indeed, there are quite a number of tracks on the map to choose from, but all of them fizzle off into nothing near the top of a ridge. Are you supposed to just walk with a compass and hope for the best - or is it private land that you really shouldn't be traversing? I would like to stay off roads, but there are places along this route where there do not seem to be marked tracks.
I am happy to take a compass and use a map so long as I know the protocol....but I don't want to end up miles off the "official" Camino trail as I'd like to write up notes for following it in the reverse direction.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi!
I am just back from abroad, and having a look on the camino board.
To answer rapidly to your question:

The way "uphill" is said to be not very well waymarked - you might need a compass a very detailed map, or a gps.
The way "downhill" (which is going uphill as well, I can assure you) is very well waymarked. And leads you to a very nice little albergue where you can sleep or just have a drink and some food...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back