• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question about Camino: a round trip from St Jean Pied De Port to Santiago De Compostella

Benjamin Nguyen

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm planning to walk the camino
Hi, My name is Ben. I'm a college student with a budget. The first time I heard about Camino de Santiago is through the movie "The Walk" 2 years ago. I watched that movie at least 10 times and I can't get enough of it. The reason I want to walk the Camino is that I am currently running up against a gigantic wall and I'm honestly stuck. Somehow, I feel like if I do this walk, it would give me an insight of myself and giving me courage to face my problems. I'm also currently an officer in training; 2 more years then I would be 2nd LT. With my current mindset, I would let my captain and my peers down; I absolutely do not want that fear to come true. What I'm trying to say is that I need some advice about the Walk. Have anyone been walking the Camino back and forth? is it worth doing a round trip?
I heard so far is that the budget would be in range of 15 euros to 30 euros a day. what is the expectation during the walk? how's the walking alone like? I know there are tours for the Camino but I just want to do the walk without the tour guide.
What about the language? Spanish is not my strongest subject.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
[QUOTE="Benjamin Nguyen, post: 267534, member: 42838"... Have anyone been walking the Camino back and forth? is it worth doing a round trip?
I heard so far is that the budget would be in range of 15 euros to 30 euros a day. what is the expectation during the walk? how's the walking alone like? I know there are tours for the Camino but I just want to do the walk without the tour guide.[/QUOTE]

Traditionally, aka post the industrial age, pilgrims would walk (take the ship/horse drawn carriage ect) from their door step of their houses to a sacred place and back as they no other possibility.
20 - 30 Euros per day is perfectly possible but also count in expense for gear and travel to/back from the Camino if you are not starting at home.
Alone? You will rarely be alone in Spain, if you start further than the four main starting points in France (Vezelay, Le Puy, Paris or Arles) that might become a mental challenge but not in Spain.
No need for a tour guide or any organized package tour, the majority of pilgrims just walk it alone and are fine doing so!
If the Camino calls you, follow the call!
Buen Camino! SY

You sound like you are young enough to walk the Camino Frances with no problems. It's not that difficult and far from being a technical hike of any kind. It's a walk through rural, northern Spain. Not a hike in the traditional sense and certainly nothing like a hike or march in the military.
Personally I wouldn't walk from SJPdP to Santiago and then turn around and walk back. I think taking the extra days and walking to Finisterre or Muxia would be more enjoyable.
Don't hire a tour guide. Absolutely no need for one. Buy a guidebook, research a bit and get to SJPdP. That's all you need to do.
I think I could easily do it again tomorrow without having "trained" for it or with little prep time. Mind you, I wouldn't do it tomorrow because it's just too dang cold there right now, but my point was very little is needed to do it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would absolutely go to Muxia when I get to Santiago de Compostella. I'm thinking of booking a trip from May 20th to end of July. Since I'm on budget and weirdly a round trip is way cheaper than one way trip.

I would absolutely go to Muxia when I get to Santiago de Compostella. I'm thinking of booking a trip from May 20th to end of July. Since I'm on budget and weirdly a round trip is way cheaper than one way trip.
Yeah, that is a lot of time and you could easily walk back to SJPdP in that frame. I'm sure it's done all the time but I don't think I saw anybody do that on either of my Caminos.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mark, what about the language? I don't speak Spanish even a little.

Don't worry, since 1,000+ years people living alongside the Camino are used to deal with 'stupid foreigners that don't speak Spanish'! SY
PS But if you bother to learn even a few words/phrases you really make their day!

Are you referring to your air plane ticket or to booking a tour on the Camino? SY

Are you referring to your air plane ticket or to booking a tour on the Camino? SY
Thanks SYates, I refer air plane ticket. I looked it up; the airfare round trip to Biarritz is cheaper than one way ticket. do you have any recommendation about where to get air plane ticket?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, My name is Ben. I'm a college student with a budget. The first time I heard about Camino de Santiago is through the movie "The Walk" 2 years ago. I watched that movie at least 10 times and I can't get enough of it. The reason I want to walk the Camino is that I am currently running up against a gigantic wall and I'm honestly stuck. Somehow, I feel like if I do this walk, it would give me an insight of myself and giving me courage to face my problems. I'm also currently an officer in training; 2 more years then I would be 2nd LT. With my current mindset, I would let my captain and my peers down; I absolutely do not want that fear to come true. What I'm trying to say is that I need some advice about the Walk. Have anyone been walking the Camino back and forth? is it worth doing a round trip?
I heard so far is that the budget would be in range of 15 euros to 30 euros a day. what is the expectation during the walk? how's the walking alone like? I know there are tours for the Camino but I just want to do the walk without the tour guide.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say letting your captain down? Would you be letting them down if you walked?

Some people have walked the Camino backwards. I don't think I would want to do that though. All those friendly folks you meet will be heading in another direction! If you want more walking, consider starting from further back in France, or maybe walking the Frances from St. Jean and then doing another route, the Portuguese for example.

You could do the Camino for 15 euros a day. You would have to do a little albergue shopping and stay at the cheapest places and do your own cooking. 30 euros a day and you'll live like a king!

Spanish. Let me give you a quick lesson.
Hola=Hello
Gracias=Thank you
Albergue=The place you sleep at night when you're a pilgrim
Cerveza=Beer
Derecha=Right
Izquierda=Left

There, now you know even more Spanish than I did when I went! You'll be amazed at how well you can get by with just a smile and pointing at stuff! And it helps if you can find some lovely young ladies along the way who don't mind acting as your translator!

I went over there totally alone. I met people. I walked with people. And I walked alone. Both have their good and bad points.

1. Round trio tickets from US to Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, traín or bus to Sjpp depending tour locstion. Flight/train from Santiago to Paris por any other original point. Vuelling Airline, maybe spelled wrong has inexpensive one Way ticket, justo book early. I did Paris in, Marsellés out.

2.I have met people walking back the year before when I was on the Camino, one was walking back to Italy !! But why not try a different route back? You can always train or bus back to a main city. Train and bus services in Europe are great and not expensive.

3. Muxia is my favorite. Finisterre is nice too.

4. Not much Spanish is needed, I ran into more international pilgrims in the earlier stages, last 100 km started to have more Spain group. They often come with friends and family. My Spanish is not good enough to carry long conversations, so did not mingle with their groups. My friends were all English speaking.

Buen Camino

I'm not sure what you mean when you say letting your captain down? Would you be letting them down if you walked?

I want to go on training with the best mindset and give 100% what I got; not only in training, but also at school. as of right now, I can't do it. I can't tell them I'm not doing well mentally either. I have to do something about it. somehow I feel like if I do the walk this summer, I will find my way and my purpose again. I want to find myself again. and I look up to my captain. he's an airborne ranger, always motivate others and an overall outstanding soldier.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
1. Round trio tickets from US to Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, traín or bus to Sjpp depending tour locstion. Flight/train from Santiago to Paris por any other original point. Vuelling Airline, maybe spelled wrong has inexpensive one Way ticket, justo book early. I did Paris in, Marsellés out.

2.I have met people walking back the year before when I was on the Camino, one was walking back to Italy !! But why not try a different route back? You can always train or bus back to a main city. Train and bus services in Europe are great and not expensive.

3. Muxia is my favorite. Finisterre is nice too.

4. Not much Spanish is needed, I ran into more international pilgrims in the earlier stages, last 100 km started to have more Spain group. They often come with friends and family. My Spanish is not good enough to carry long conversations, so did not mingle with their groups. My friends were all English speaking.

Buen Camino
thanks for the idea! I will look into it!

I want to go on training with the best mindset and give 100% what I got; not only in training, but also at school. as of right now, I can't do it. I can't tell them I'm not doing well mentally either. I have to do something about it. somehow I feel like if I do the walk this summer, I will find my way and my purpose again. I want to find myself again. and I look up to my captain. he's an airborne ranger, always motivate others and an overall outstanding soldier.

Do the Camino and it just might give you a completely different / new outlook on life! Don't orientate yourself on others - find your own way, on the Camino and in life!
Buen Camino, SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Benjamin, if you are feeling stressed then a good long walk will do you the power of good....and I am sure you will find yourself....good luck. ps don't be too hard on yourself....your Captains qualities have probably been developed over many years....he was green and inexperienced once too...

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back