• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question about pants

crhutch

Time of past OR future Camino
(2010) March/April SJPP to Santiago and hence to Finisterre
(2016) Hospitalero Grañón 15-31 March
(2016) April Logroño to Santiago
(2017) Hospitalero Zamora 15-31 March
(2017) Hospilatero Emaus, Burgos 1-14 April
For those of you who have walked the camino or any other long hike, what is your preference -regular hiking pants or convertible pants? I am putting my "wardrobe" together and have no experience with convertible pants.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Convertable pants are OK but I found I always wore them as trousers-usually in the evening. During the day I wore shorts which I washed inthe evening.I was sometimes caught in the rain and legs are easier to dry than clothing. That way I always had long pants for the cooler evenings. I now have non convertable Berghaus trousers + my trusty shorts.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When are you walking? I have gone round and around with myself on this one. I am walking during September into early October when the weather/temperatures can start to be changeable. I am thinking about taking a pair of convertibles and a pair of capris rather than shorts. I intend to visit churches and I'd rather not wear shorts for one thing. Convertibles would give me the option of shorts if it was indeed very hot. However I have been seriously entertaining taking two pairs of capris with the only "long" pants being my rain pants.

Rain is a tough call because if the ambiant temperature is OK, rain on legs is fine. If it is cold and windy then rain on legs can become a bummer very quickly. It doesn't take much for me to chill even when exerting myself. Hence rain pants. And rain pants over taking a pair of long johns.

I'd seriously entertain feedback on this from those who have walked in September--especially older women.

each person would have a different approach...

in my case, there is nothing like shorts for walking. 2 pairs of shorts, and because I have a severe problem with friction in my crotch, both were lycra.

I hate walking with long trousers; if it is hot, because it is hot. If it is raining, because they take a lot longer to dry. In any case, as I walk, I never get cold. And I have been walking in temperatures below freezing april 2008 between Roncesvalles and Burgos.

of course, long fleece trousers are a must for the evening at any season. But in total, that makes 3 trousers, weightwise, not even one kilo, I would say.

Listen to yourself (and be honest!) and you will be all right, just do not bring any heavy stuff or too many pants, in my opinion, 1 long trouser for the night, 2 shorts for the day, and do laundry every other day. Lycra forever!

I'd seriously entertain feedback on this from those who have walked in September--especially older women.

I fit both categories and so here's what I do. I wear shorts during the day - for me there is nothing worse thatn having clothing flapping around my legs on a hot day (as it often is during September). I have a pair of non convertable pants - less zips, less weight - for the cooler evenings later in the month, and because I will be walking in July and August in France I also will take a skirt, which is even cooler than shorts for either evening or day wear. I found that the first 10 minutes or so might be cool in the mountains (even frosty!), but walking briskly I warmed up and then the sun generally came out and there was no issue. The trick is to keep the torso warm, and your feet should stay warm because of the exercise.

Like Omar, I would much prefer to dry wet legs than wet clothes and even with the very best goretex rain pants, I would end up soaked inside from perspiration. I have walked in Spain twice in September through to early October and only ever struck a couple of days when the weather has been miserable. Of course this year it could be different, but I always work on the theory that IF I really need them, I could always buy extra equipment - saves having to carry it if I don't!

This is what I do - EVERYONE is different! It works for me. Cheers, Janet

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When the question is Pants, the answer is Yes. It´s always a good idea to wear some pants. Especially when you´re going outdoors. :shock:

good reading all advice on pants...we are taking 1pair of shorts and 1 long pair of pants thats it..and we leave Australia in 17days!!!!! :D ...someone told us the zip off pants are just a pain..so i got some great light weight ones that you can roll up and button up with a tab..have done a few walks with them and they are great. Will leave the gortex ones at home, I agree, much easier to dry wet legs!!
see you out there soon :)
Mish..on the Gold Coast

Rebekah Scott said:
When the question is Pants, the answer is Yes. It´s always a good idea to wear some pants. Especially when you´re going outdoors. :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mish

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
crhutch said:
For those of you who have walked the camino or any other long hike, what is your preference -regular hiking pants or convertible pants? I am putting my "wardrobe" together and have no experience with convertible pants.

If your decision finally is to wear convertible paints, don't forget to wash both parts of the pants even if you have worn it only as a short pant, to avoid the color of the upper part changes.

Buen Camino

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Javier Martin said:
don't forget to wash both parts of the pants even if you have worn it only as a short pant, to avoid the color of the upper part changes.

Javier, I bet you never put a bright red scarf in the same wash as the brand new shirt you have just bought to wear at your daughter's wedding! (For instance)

Bridget and Peter said:
Javier Martin said:
don't forget to wash both parts of the pants even if you have worn it only as a short pant, to avoid the color of the upper part changes.

Javier, I bet you never put a bright red scarf in the same wash as the brand new shirt you have just bought to wear at your daughter's wedding! (For instance)

Jaja, of course yes I do, my daughter's wedding is not so important as walking with a perfect wearing!! jejeje

But it's true, sometimes you can see some pilgrims wearing their convertible pants with different colours in both parts.

Buen Camino, and what does it matter your pants?

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just say "NO!" to zip-offs. I wore them on my first camino and chucked them right after. Never to buy another pair. They were an absolute pain in the neck, and when wearing the upper portion, found the zipper around the bottom was heavy and provided too much friction on my thighs. I have now switched to lightweight long pants and separate lightweight shorts. Better by far.

lynne

Peter (who is lying on the sofa having a ME relapse day, but clearly is perking up slightly) thinks that there are mix and match colour possibilities in these zip-offs - perhaps you could swap with other pilgrims en route, or even bleach, dye or otherwise embellish each element differently, thus making an advantage of accidental uneven washing out of colour.

Good question, and I'm going to add to it with my own (seeing as I also have no experience!). What sort of pants should you wear for a november/december camino? A lot of the hiking and convertible pants that I've seen seem really thin, how warm are they? Do I need to be wearing long thermal pants underneath?

~jo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
lynnejohn said:
Just say "NO!" to zip-offs. I wore them on my first camino and chucked them right after. Never to buy another pair. They were an absolute pain in the neck, and when wearing the upper portion, found the zipper around the bottom was heavy and provided too much friction on my thighs. I have now switched to lightweight long pants and separate lightweight shorts. Better by far.

lynne

Ditto! I hate zip-off pants!!! But I don't mind the slightly eccentric look of thermals under shorts in cold, wet conditions. But then I am a Kiwi!
Margaret

I haven't walked the Camino yet...I'm doing it in September. What I am doing for pants is I have bought 2 pair of convertible pants...same brand/colour. But, I am taking 1 pair as long pants and 1 pair as shorts (so only 1 pair of the legs). That way, the legs can be added to either pair of shorts. I have bought several brands of convertible pants over the years and the range of material is extensive. These ones are cotton/nylon but the material is quite light and as well, the zippers are not heavy. I have been wearing this brand of convertibles for a couple of years and they have gotten wet and they dry quite quickly. The bottom line is they work for me and like most other things, you need to test what would work best for you. Oh and yes, I do make sure to wash the legs with the shorts so they stay colour matched!
Bill

Me again. I thought I should post an update to my own post above from this morning. A very wise poster on this forum sent me a PM suggesting that only taking 1 pair of legs may not be the best idea since there was a chance the leg zipper could malfunction and then I would end up with no long pants. So, as a disclaimer, I just wanted to suggest they raised a very good point. From my perspective, I have been wearing this brand of convertibles for about 5 years now and have actually worn out a couple of pair. I guess what may saves from the leg zipper malfunctioning me is that when I wash them, I don't re-attach the legs so there is less wear and tear on the zipper. They are by no means a very expensive pair of convertible pants (they are from BC clothing) but they have done me on well which is why I made the suggestion. As well, as several people have suggested on this site, there isn't much I can't get along the Camino if the need arises. Sorry for the confusion.
Bill

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.