• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question about Salmeron to Trillo, via Tetas de Viana - on the Lana

Bachibouzouk

Time of past OR future Camino
Voie de Soulac, Frances, De La Plata, Sureste/Levante, Manchego, Ruta del Argar.
Any thoughts about Salmeron to Trillo via Tetas de Viana in one stage? Salmeron - Viana de Mondejar - Teta Redonda - Trillo. Salmeron to Trillo appears to be circa 30 kms via the standard routing. Ascent and descent another 2 to 3 hours? Long day but possible? Much would depend on weather conditions and state of the track up and down Teta Redonda, I guess. I'm looking at doing Cuenca to Burgos in October.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Any thoughts about Salmeron to Trillo via Tetas de Viana in one stage? Salmeron - Viana de Mondejar - Teta Redonda - Trillo. Salmeron to Trillo appears to be circa 30 kms via the standard routing. Ascent and descent another 2 to 3 hours? Long day but possible? Much would depend on weather conditions and state of the track up and down Teta Redonda, I guess. I'm looking at doing Cuenca to Burgos in October.
Not just the distance, the terrain and the weather and time of year would make this a tough day. Plus you wouldn’t have much time to enjoy the view ( assuming you get one).

Not just the distance, the terrain and the weather and time of year would make this a tough day. Plus you wouldn’t have much time to enjoy the view ( assuming you get one).

Thanks and agreed re. weather and conditions. No point in struggling up and down the muddy paths for no view from the top. Decision there and then, I guess. I'd be interested to know how much it adds to the Salmeron - Trillo stage (distance and timewise). I've got 15 days to go from Cuenca to Burgos - see my thread: Ruta de la Lana (and some Quijote/Cervantes) and trying to reduce to 14 days to get longer in Siguenza.

I've only read up to Siguenza on this particular thread but will read through the rest over the coming days. May be able to save a day somewhere later on?

I'm taking on board Pilger Franz's recommendations of Torralba and Albendea. So Day 3 might be Albendea to Viana de Mondejar (26 kms). Day 4 Viana de Mondejar - Teta Redonda - Trillo - Cifuentes, but in this case I get rather less time in Cifuentes and I miss out on staying in the Salmeron albergue, which sounds like an experience not to be missed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Any thoughts about Salmeron to Trillo via Tetas de Viana in one stage? Salmeron - Viana de Mondejar - Teta Redonda - Trillo
I did it in two relatively short stages. Viana de Mondéjar to Trillo vía the Tetas is only 13km, with about 500m of height gain and loss. The views from the top were breath-taking - the meanders of the Tajo, much of Guadalajara province in every direction and back to Cuenca province 80km to the south. And total solitude. I spent at least an hour on the top enjoying it, so probably wouldn't have been able to make it all the way from Salmerón to Trillo in one day, but somebody fitter and quicker would manage it. I think it only adds about 3-4km in total distance, but also ~465m in height gain, as the official route to Trillo is much flatter. It was also a bit of a scramble in places, even once down from the teta. It took me five hours, including time at the top.

This was my route:

Made it to Burgos. This thread has been a very informative read, even if I did get lost a few times (just like on a real walk). Also had to travel backwards and forwards in time on a few occasions (I like to try and do that too when I walk). Wikiloc and all the technical stuff was lost on me but I won't be using that anyway (IGN 1:2000, Kevin O'Brien and Bad Pilgrim have served me well enough to Cuenca - I will keep my faith in that Holy Trinity). Thanks to all those who have contributed to this thread. I'm sure it has been much fun and just as importantly it will assist those planning trips in the future. It has certainly given me plenty to think about that I had not considered beforehand: Tetas de Viana, Carabias, Tiermes, the Roman amphitheatre around Quintanarraya, Desfiladero de la Yecla, .... and now I even know the term for a bunch of vultures in flight - I'd only ever heard of kettles of fish before. A group of vultures on the ground is, apparently, a committee. I'll try not to think about that next time I'm in a meeting ;-)

[Moderator added link to referenced thread]

Last edited by a moderator:
I did it in two relatively short stages. Viana de Mondéjar to Trillo vía the Tetas is only 13km, with about 500m of height gain and loss. The views from the top were breath-taking - the meanders of the Tajo, much of Guadalajara province in every direction and back to Cuenca province 80km to the south. And total solitude. I spent at least an hour on the top enjoying it, so probably wouldn't have been able to make it all the way from Salmerón to Trillo in one day, but somebody fitter and quicker would manage it. I think it only adds about 3-4km in total distance, but also ~465m in height gain, as the official route to Trillo is much flatter. It was also a bit of a scramble in places, even once down from the teta. It took me five hours, including time at the top.

This was my route:

Thanks for that. So I make it circa 35 kms between Salmeron and Trillo via the Tetas with a climb (and descent of circa 500m). A long day but possible. Much will depend on the weather and the state of the tracks up and down the Teta Redonda.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for that. So I make it circa 35 kms between Salmeron and Trillo via the Tetas with a climb (and descent of circa 500m). A long day but possible. Much will depend on the weather and the state of the tracks up and down the Teta Redonda.
Quick heads up: Viana de Mondejar has a lovely little albergue but you have to phone Trillo ayuntamiento during office hours to come with the key, and coverage is poor. You will also need to bring your own provisions.

@dick bird, do you have the phone number? I have seen two different ones

949-387-737

949 815 030

This is a good heads up!
The phone number is on the albergue door. We called and someone arrived to let us in 10 mins later. Our mobile coverage (Vodafone) was really weak so a local kindly lent us his phone.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The phone numbers on the door of the albergue at Viana de Mondejar are (as at October 2022):

620 961 743
062 961 744

1) they are linked to the Ayuntamienyo (Fire Department?) in Trillo.
2) no point in calling until you are in Viana de Mondejar as you will be asked your location.
3) it takes no more than 15-30 minutes for someone to arrive to open up.
4) you will need to walk away from the albergue and a little up the hill (50 metres?) for mobile coverage.

Be aware that there are no provisions at all (no shop/no bar) in the pueblo but the albergue does have a microwave. There is a social club at the top of the village but I'm guessing that it is only very seldom open (village fiesta? local weddings?). There was only one blanket in the otherwise very well appointed albergue (and no pillows). One of the few places where I did need my sleeping bag.

There's more detail on my recent thread covering Cuenca to Siguenza.

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
So I make it circa 35 kms between Salmeron and Trillo via the Tetas with a climb (and descent of circa 500m). A long day but possible. Much will depend on the weather and the state of the tracks up and down the Teta Redonda.
I definitely want to ascend the Teta Redonda, weather permitting. I guess I will decide when I get to Viana de Mondejar whether carrying on to Trillo would be a good idea. In 2019, I walked the occasional 40-plus day on occasion, and had some days with huge amounts of ascents and descents, but turning 70 in 2020 and covid have taught me that the universe has other plans for my upcoming caminos. It is nice, though, that the decision can be made on the spot, depending on how I feel when I get to Viana de Mondéjar.

Based on your live report, @Bachibouzouk, I see that you wound up in Viana de Mondéjar for a variety of reasons. I am still in the initial stages of trying to learn for once and for all how to create a spreadsheet, but your live thread will be extremely helpful!

Anyone out there who has walked Salmerón to Trillo with a Tetas ascent? Just curious about hearing others’ experiences.

Most read last week in this forum

Looking for someone to share a taxi to Sarria from Santiago Airport on Sunday 28th April. Flight due to arrive at 4.15pm We are a party of 2 people

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back