• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question about Santiago cathedral

easygoing

Camino Sharon
Time of past OR future Camino
I have walked the Camino Francis 7 times, twice in 2017 and 2018. (2019)
I am currently walking the Camino and a fellow pilgrim just told me there is a new entrance fee to the cathedral of 15 Euros. Is this true

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The fee is to see the recently renovated Portico de la Gloria (PDG), NOT to enter the Cathedral. The PDG recently opened after a 10-year renovation, costing millions of Euros. The fee is to recoup the costs of renovation and to assist paying for the renovation, after about 150 years, of the entire Cathedral.

That effort is ongoing and is intended to be fully completed before the next Holy Year in 2021. The external scaffolding on the west side, main portico and entry of the Cathedral is GONE.

By tradition and longstanding Church practice, entering the Cathedral for worship, or to view any central part of the Cathedral devoted to worship, is free. Only voluntary donations are accepted. All persons are welcome to visit and to worship.

Those parts of the Cathedral, accessible from outside the 'sanctuary' have access charges. This is because these places are more museums than they are places of worship, per se. They just happen to be attached to or directly adjacent to the ancient Cathedral.

These ancillary places for which entry charges apply include:
  • Cathedral Museum
  • Xemierez Palace
  • Crypt and archaeological digs under the Cathedral
  • Cathedral roof
  • Portico de la Gloria
I could be argued that the PDG is so highly valued as a cultural and architectural landmark that it could be in a museum. In that setting, you would pay to enter most any museum. However, moving it presents obvious problems. So it is a museum exhibit in situ.

Hope this helps.

Just to add that after so long the scaffolding is down and the cathedral looks gorgeous. They have added copper banners in some places on the statues high up, that shine when the light catches them. It's really stunning.

Most read last week in this forum

Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back