• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question about sleeping bag weights.

Kev

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept-Oct 2015
Camino Portuguese Sept-Oct 2018
Camino Portuguese Oct 2020
I have been trying to find the lightest sleeping bag that is not very expensive or confining. I do not need a very warm bag as I will be walking Sept-Oct this year and tend to be a warm sleeper anyways. I am pondering the The North Face Dolomite 2S Sleeping Bag (http://www.rei.com/product/828230/the-north-face-dolomite-2s-sleeping-bag#tab-specs) which comes at 1.1kb (2 lbs. 7 oz.). I have tried out several lighter mummy bags and immediately found them to be constraining (not only am I a larger person, but I sleep spread out, not bundled up). Yes, I have a liner.
Is this a reasonable weight to be carrying or are there better alternatives that I have not discovered yet?

Thanks for you assistance and guidance! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Once you choose to avoid a mummy style, the bag will always be heavier than a similarly specified mummy bag. I use a semi-rectangular bag similar in spec to the North Face bag (Paddy Pallin Wollemi) that weighs about 880 gm by itself, about 210 gm or 8 oz lighter than the North Face bag you have identified. Mine has a down fill, and packs easily into a 4.7 li stuff sack (cf 8.2 li for the North Face bag) even with a slightly heavier liner. All up bag, stuff sack and liner weigh just under 1100 gm and are less then 5 li packed. Depending on how much you are willing to pay - my bag cost over twice the price listed for the North Face bag - you should be able to get equivalent performance with a lighter and less bulky bag, even in a rectangular bag.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Once you choose to avoid a mummy style, the bag will always be heavier than a similarly specified mummy bag. I use a semi-rectangular bag similar in spec to the North Face bag (Paddy Pallin Wollemi) that weighs about 880 gm by itself, about 210 gm or 8 oz lighter than the North Face bag you have identified. Mine has a down fill, and packs easily into a 4.7 li stuff sack (cf 8.2 li for the North Face bag) even with a slightly heavier liner. All up bag, stuff sack and liner weigh just under 1100 gm and are less then 5 li packed. Depending on how much you are willing to pay - my bag cost over twice the price listed for the North Face bag - you should be able to get equivalent performance with a lighter and less bulky bag, even in a rectangular bag.
Thank you for the input, I will also investigate the Paddy Pallin Wollemi bag as it looks like it has more feet room. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have been trying to find the lightest sleeping bag that is not very expensive or confining. I do not need a very warm bag as I will be walking Sept-Oct this year and tend to be a warm sleeper anyways. :)
I used the Quechua (11c-15c, 700g) bag on two of my Caminos, October and June. Performed well. That is #13 on that lightest sleeping bag list. If ultralight is what you are looking for, it is pricy.
The atlus superlight (#10) at 600g, 14c comfort is more than adequate for the Camino imho.

Hey Kev,
I bought my sleeping bag from Enlightened Equipment. I got the revelation bag which can be opened up into a quilt. It is slightly modifiable. I got mine as 40 degree F = 4.44 C, short, which cost me $210 (it was only 15% off sale), and it is only 13.2 oz = 374 grams. I also spent extra to get the water resistant down.
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That Cooper R-7 was my recommendation. My sister in law has it and I'm planning to get it for my Oct-Nov 2015 walk. As you can see, it is quite roomy and rectangular, but packs up small and is quite light weight for a synthetic. I want one that washes and dries easily. I took a different Hotcore bag (T-100) last year and was happy but it was warmer than necessary and the Cooper R-7 is roomier, lighter and smaller when packed.

Thank you for the input, I will also investigate the Paddy Pallin Wollemi bag as it looks like it has more feet room. :)
Paddy Pallin is an Australian manufacturer and retailer. They might be prepared to ship overseas, but you might be better off finding a broadly equivalent bag locally.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have been trying to find the lightest sleeping bag that is not very expensive or confining. I do not need a very warm bag as I will be walking Sept-Oct this year and tend to be a warm sleeper anyways. I am pondering the The North Face Dolomite 2S Sleeping Bag (http://www.rei.com/product/828230/the-north-face-dolomite-2s-sleeping-bag#tab-specs) which comes at 1.1kb (2 lbs. 7 oz.). I have tried out several lighter mummy bags and immediately found them to be constraining (not only am I a larger person, but I sleep spread out, not bundled up). Yes, I have a liner.
Is this a reasonable weight to be carrying or are there better alternatives that I have not discovered yet?

I like Taiga Works Vancouver BC. They make barrel bags ... a wider cut than mummy bags.
https://www.taigaworks.ca/

You might also want to check out army surplus bags ... made for the "average" soldier ... whatever that is.

Kev,

While I second Tinkerbell's EE recommendation (I have a 20 degree quilt for backpacking from them), the Camino is not backpacking. Given the number of blankets I saw in Albuergues on the Frances route (and the incredible heat generated by snoring pilgrims packed in small rooms), I probably would not carry a sleeping bag at all--just a Reactor liner from Sea-to-Summit. Or just make your own--get a fleece sheet set from Groupon, fold over the flat sheet and sew the edges together. Either option would save money, and more importantly, weight.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Hi

We found some very light sleeping bags with compression bags to pack them during the day. Different temperature regimes depending on your need! These are at

http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/products/55-Sleeping-Bags/

Hope you find something you like!

C

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Kev,

While I second Tinkerbell's EE recommendation (I have a 20 degree quilt for backpacking from them), the Camino is not backpacking. Given the number of blankets I saw in Albuergues on the Frances route (and the incredible heat generated by snoring pilgrims packed in small rooms), I probably would not carry a sleeping bag at all--just a Reactor liner from Sea-to-Summit. Or just make your own--get a fleece sheet set from Groupon, fold over the flat sheet and sew the edges together. Either option would save money, and more importantly, weight.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo
Exactly. Backpacking it ain't.
My experience.....two Caminos (June-August) and zero sleeping bags in my pack. For those months I did it a liner is all you need, and yeah, there were a lot of blankets at albergues and the rooms get hot and stuffy.
I bought (on sale) a North Face Aleutian 1S before I did my last CF. Great lightweight bag but I ended up leaving it at home. Have never even used it.

I like Taiga Works Vancouver BC. They make barrel bags ... a wider cut than mummy bags.
https://www.taigaworks.ca/

You might also want to check out army surplus bags ... made for the "average" soldier ... whatever that is.
Those aren't really made for lightweight packing. At least not when I was in many years ago.
Instead a surplus military poncho liner would work great on a CF during the summer. Very light. Roll up small and warm for their weight. They reflect a lot of body heat back to you.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. So much information to look over and process.
From those that have walked Sept-Oct, have you used a sleeping bag or not? I am pondering leaving without one and perhaps picking one up along the way if I start feeling the need/desire for one as the season progresses. If I end up bringing one, there are so many options now that I was not able to find on my own before, what a wonderful community this is. :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Here's what my wife and I took for mid-August through late September 2013: http://www.rei.com/product/870764/rei-travel-sack-sleeping-bag . Very light weight at 1 lb-13 oz (~800 gms). When it got chilly a few nights in Galicia, we just threw an albergue blanket over it. Admittedly, we are both small in stature, but I don't normally like mummy bags and I found this bag to be nevertheless quite comfortable. Or, you might try this as an alternative: http://www.campmor.com/coleman-fleece-rectangular-sleeping-bag.shtml . It's 1.5 lb (~700 gms) and says it's comfortable to 50F / 10C. You say you sleep warm, but you could do the supplemental albergue blanket thing if it's too cold. Note: Most, but not all, albergues have blankets. They may be stored in a closet or chest, so you may have to ask for one.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ive been looking around and I think I've settled on one of the offerings from Cumulus in the Lite Line series. I'm thinking the Lite Line 300... 22 ounces, 30 degrees (so I can sleep outside if I want), under $200. Packs down rather small.

Thank you everyone for your valuable feedback! I just placed my order for the North 49® Micra Lite Rectangular Sleeping Bag (recommended by several members). It is light weight, roomy, and inexpensive (let's hope it's not cheap in quality).
I'll tell you at the end of October how it works out.

Kevin

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.