• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question about stamps

Leyla

Time of past OR future Camino
none
Hola!

First of all, LOVE this forum! Filled with information and wonderful people!

I will be walking a section of the Camino in September (Leon to Santiago), with two wonderful friends, super excited about it.

My question for you is: You get your stamp as soon as you get to the town where you will spend the night BUT is it possible to stop at every little town and get a stamp OR is this a big no-no?

Muchísimas gracias y Buen Camino a todos,

Leyla from Canada

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Excellent!! Thank you Bradypus! I have seen so many beautiful sellos and I was wondering if it was OK to stop along the way to get them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola!

First of all, LOVE this forum! Filled with information and wonderful people!

I will be walking a section of the Camino in September (Leon to Santiago), with two wonderful friends, super excited about it.

My question for you is: You get your stamp as soon as you get to the town where you will spend the night BUT is it possible to stop at every little town and get a stamp OR is this a big no-no?

Muchísimas gracias y Buen Camino a todos,

Leyla from Canada
Hi Leyla, you can get sellos almost everywhere.
Take an extra Credencial with you and you can get them easily filled with sellos. (when you want ):cool:;)
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On my first Camino from St Jean to Santiago I tended to just get one stamp per day. Often the place where I stayed, or somewhere else if I forgot. Sometimes I would add extras, like the church at Zabaldika, more as a momento of the journey.

The problem I had; was filling up my Credencial too fast... Given that we need 2 stamps per day in the final 100 kms. So keep that in mind and monitor how many spaces you have left. I only just had enough spaces in the end. (you can add extra pages of course)

This year, as we only walked from Sarria, we collected a lot more stamps. As a momento of the journey but also because the Credencial looks nicer if it's full :)

As others have said, you can get sellos (stamps) nearly everywhere and only the space in your credencial is the limited in collecting them. BUT I would make sure that you collect a variety of stamps and not only stamps from bars and the like, if not the pilgrims office in Santiago might think you did a pilgrimage of the bars on the Camino. ;-) Buen Camino, SY

BUT I would make sure that you collect a variety of stamps and not only stamps from bars and the like, if not the pilgrims office in Santiago might think you did a pilgrimage of the bars on the Camino.
I suspect the people in the pilgrim office know one has to eat!

Collecting a sello from where one sleeps and another from where one eats during the day will meet the minimum requirements. After that, churches (where they are open), tourist or pilgrim offices in bigger towns and a range of other places offer sello. It is generally not difficult to fill a credencial.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That is why I wrote "not only stamps" ;-) obviously pilgrims have to eat but having stamps ONLY from bars (apart of the accommodation stamp) might raise a few eye brows. Buen Camino, SY

Yes you can get "extra" stamps/cellos from bars and cafes - usually when you have stopped for a coffee/beer/vino. As for churches if there is a donation box beside the stamp pad - put in a few coins (whatever you can afford) - if there is someone in attendance they might tell you its a stamp for E1. Buen Camino!! Of course each albergue will stamp your credencial/passport. Cheers

Thank you everyone!!! I will be known as "La Señora de los Sellos", ha! I will make sure to get extra pages just in case . Buen Camino y feliz fin de semana a todos

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On my first Camino I didn't know the rule about two stamps from Sarria and just continued as I had from St Jean Pied de Port with the one in the Albergue each night. No one said anything to me at the Pilgrim office and I got my compostella as did my friend who was also oblivious.

Not recommending anyone do that if two stamps are required - just staying - seems it's not particularly strict that rule - and neither did anyone tell me that rule in any Albergue at any time who would have seen my lack of stamps

Actually the two stamp rule is mostly afford if you "only" start in Sarria, but it is stated in the Credencial and also on the Cathedral web site. Buen Camino, SY

Actually the two stamp rule is mostly afford if you "only" start in Sarria, but it is stated in the Credencial and also on the Cathedral web site. Buen Camino, SY

Whoops! Just checked that and you're right it does say it in French. But even with GCSE French I can read that. Lazy me!

Just an innocent question, if my passport fills up too quickly half way (starting from SJPdp) can I buy another passport along the way and continue with the stamping? I have been cautious not to get too many stamps along the way so that I have enough space to last till the end. I am now in the 1st week of my camino

Just an innocent question, if my passport fills up too quickly half way (starting from SJPdp) can I buy another passport along the way and continue with the stamping? I have been cautious not to get too many stamps along the way so that I have enough space to last till the end. I am now in the 1st week of my camino
I started with two credencials and have donated to get a third. They are taped together to form one long document.

There may be other ways of extending the document, but the cathedral credencial has the advantage of being printed on reasonably durable card stock.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Yes, you can get/buy a new/second/third credencial in all bigger places/albergues like Burgos, Leon etc. Just look out for a new one before your old one is full. Happy stamp collecting and Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back