• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question about the Credential or passport

SallyJane

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi,

This will probably be a dumb question to most due to my ignorance...

Firstly im talking about the little book you get stamped along the way...

I have had long term plans to walk the camino with a friend but he is terminally ill and no longer able to join me on the walk now. (scheduled April2022).

If its possible i would like to get a book (credential/passport) for both of us (even tho im going alone) and stamp it along the way for both of us and give it to him on my return with a diary of my pilgrimage so it was as if he was with me along the way.

Is it possible to get two books at SJDP? I dont know how the system works (besides that you show up somewhere to get it). im embarrassed to have to explain the situation to people if i dont have to as its raw.

I plan to just get both books stamped at cafes and other places along the way so i dont have to explain or ask for favors at albergues for an extra stamp.

Does anyone have any insite or opinions on this?

Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Absolutely! Not rare to take another passport along and have it stamped for another, perhaps someone who is ill or has died. You can't use it to get a Compostela.

A lovely thought, a lovely thing to do for another.

You could have a Mass said for your friend at the cathedral when you get to Santiago - it doesn't cost much, and could possibly be a perfect ending for their 'virtual' Camino. xx

You can buy and stamp as many as you like - a fair proportion of sellos are simply left out for peregrinos to use (or abuse) as they see fit. but it would be ‘questionable’ to put it mildly to get a compostella for your friend on the basis of a Camino which they didn’t complete.

Many who walk the longer routes commonly fill two or more (four in my case) credenciales on a regular basis.

On a slightly different topic, it is permitted to dedicate a Camino to another and have the compostella inscribed accordingly.

Credenciales are sold here in the forum store as well as in St Jean, many albergues, cathedrals and bars along the route.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

This will probably be a dumb question to most due to my ignorance...

Firstly im talking about the little book you get stamped along the way...

I have had long term plans to walk the camino with a friend but he is terminally ill and no longer able to join me on the walk now. (scheduled April2022).

If its possible i would like to get a book (credential/passport) for both of us (even tho im going alone) and stamp it along the way for both of us and give it to him on my return with a diary of my pilgrimage so it was as if he was with me along the way.

Is it possible to get two books at SJDP? I dont know how the system works (besides that you show up somewhere to get it). im embarrassed to have to explain the situation to people if i dont have to as its raw.

I plan to just get both books stamped at cafes and other places along the way so i dont have to explain or ask for favors at albergues for an extra stamp.

Does anyone have any insite or opinions on this?

Thank you.
That will be no problem what so ever.
Wish you a wonderful Camino. 🙏🏻

You can buy as many as you like from this Forum, and have them sent to your physical mailbox:

Yes, you can do what you want to do. I suggest that you always have your credential stamped first before bringing out the second because perhaps, in a rare case, you may have someone refuse to stamp the second. That would be because they may think you would sell it to one of the "cheaters" that would use the credential to get a compostela they didn't earn.

All my best to you both.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, you can do what you want to do. I suggest that you always have your credential stamped first before bringing out the second because perhaps, in a rare case, you may have someone refuse to stamp the second. That would be because they may think you would sell it to one of the "cheaters" that would use the credential to get a compostela they didn't earn.

All my best to you both.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to keep a small card or sticky note inside the second credential explaining in Spanish what its purpose is.

You can walk the pilgrimage in place of one who is too ill to do so or has died-- pro vicarie, in Latin. This is an ancient mediaeval practice which the Church still honours.

When you get to the pilgrim's office to get the compostela, have your friend's name written out for the Compostela (firstname FAMILYNAME) and be able to explain that he is terminally ill (mi amigo tiene una enfermedad terminal). You will not have your own compostela, but the one for your friend is really more important. You can always get a distancia (distance certificate) if you wish.

Others have explained how you can work the two credenciales.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back