• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question about theft along the Camino

HallOfFreedom

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés April 26, 2016
Hello!

I have been giving some serious thought to making this trip next fall, but there is a question that I haven't seen addressed anywhere. While I don't plan to travel with much money on me day to day, I would be carrying a nice camera. Staying in albergues and meeting new people along the way sound like fascinating aspects of the experience, but does that also make it more dangerous to travel with my camera?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi HoF,

I try to look at it this way: There are 400 people where I work. If I left a nice camera just sitting around it would probably go missing.
Theft just happens and is almost always a crime of opportunity. Keep an eye on your things and you should be just fine.
Buen Camino.

Ron

PS: I leave on my Camino in 2 weeks!

Hello!

I have been giving some serious thought to making this trip next fall, but there is a question that I haven't seen addressed anywhere. While I don't plan to travel with much money on me day to day, I would be carrying a nice camera. Staying in albergues and meeting new people along the way sound like fascinating aspects of the experience, but does that also make it more dangerous to travel with my camera?
If you haven't maybe you weren't looking for at all is my wild guess. I just typed "theft" in search box and here it is:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/search/1139337/?q=theft&o=date&c[node]=12

Ultreia!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you haven't maybe you weren't looking for at all is my wild guess. I just typed "theft" in search box

I did not see the topic on any Camino website I've looked through, including FAQs, but did not perform a search on this forum. I felt it better to engage the community rather than read through older conversations

Three things i always have with me where ever i go. Money, credit/id cards, phone. The backpack i will just leave at the albergue. If i would have to worry about that, might as well stay home.

If you keep an eye on your camera, all will be fine. The camino is not without all the bad things in life, but i do like to think it has less of it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@HallOfFreedom you will need to carry cash for day to day purchases - credit cards are pretty useless on the Camino and it can be several days between ATM machines. Many of the villages are tiny and have no banking facilities. As well you will presumably have travel documents (such as a passport and ticket). So your camera is not the only item you need to guard.

It is not a big deal - you just have to take the normal care you would use anywhere. Don't leave valuables unsecured in a backpack or (as I have seen) lying on your bed. Those of us who are mad enough to "do" the Camino regularly usually have something like a money belt to keep these secure. When asleep I always ensure my phone and valuables are inside my sleeping bag with me or (if it's hot) under my pillow. Ziplock plastic bags are invaluable as they allow us to take our valuables into the showers - I'd make sure you have one large enough for your camera.

...While I don't plan to travel with much money on me day to day, I would be carrying a nice camera. Staying in albergues and meeting new people along the way sound like fascinating aspects of the experience, but does that also make it more dangerous to travel with my camera?
If it's a 1'500 dollar, bulky camera you might be worried, particularly if you display it whilst walking (instead of in your back- or daypack). Thieves are opportunists, and this is a fact anywhere in our world. Never leave your belongings unattended.;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When asleep I always ensure my phone and valuables are inside my sleeping bag with me or (if it's hot) under my pillow. Ziplock plastic bags are invaluable as they allow us to take our valuables into the showers - I'd make sure you have one large enough for your camera.

That sounds like really great advice! I don't think I would have come up with that on my own. Thank you

No, I mean I would rather have the conversation myself and interact with the community than passively read other people's conversations
I understand that. Welcome!
Will try to keep up with this thread if anything new comes up. I'm off to my Camino in June so it might be helpful :)

Ultreia!

I've carried my Fuji X100s on my shoulder strap for 2 caminos now and never had an issue. Of course I put it, along with my Ipad, wallet, and phone, in a little nike cinch sack that I carry with me to the bathroom, to the bar, to everywhere, never leaving my valuables unattended. Just common sense.

When asleep I always ensure my phone and valuables are inside my sleeping bag with me or (if it's hot) under my pillow. Ziplock plastic bags are invaluable as they allow us to take our valuables into the showers - I'd make sure you have one large enough for your camera.
When it's time to go to bed I put all my valuables in a nylon bag that has a loop and tie it to the bed next to my head with rubber twist ties. Try to get a bed in a corner, and keep that bag in the corner. A thief would have to get in bed with you to get to the bag ;0)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
No, I mean I would rather have the conversation myself and interact with the community than passively read other people's conversations
Which is nice for you, but you might appreciate that the question you have asked is neither new nor unique, nor will there be fundamentally new answers.

That sounds like really great advice! I don't think I would have come up with that on my own. Thank you
Which you might have found by searching the forum, but @Kanga is too polite to tell you she has provided similar answers before, as have many others.

Most regular posters are tolerant of new members who, in their enthusiasm, post questions that have been recently or repeatedly answered. Most newbies seem to learn quickly to read more widely before asking to clarify a specific concern. I hope you do too.

Great advice, I sleep and walk with my valuables in a front pocket because no one dares to go there. Use my ATM card only if the bank is open to retrieve it if it gets lost in the machine. Your nice camera should be a point and shoot, anything bigger would be a total pain in the a$$.

Which is nice for you, but you might appreciate that the question you have asked is neither new nor unique, nor will there be fundamentally new answers.

How many unique questions can there really be? I browsed through the FAQ section before posting my question. I would think the point of this forum would be promoting a community rather than finding the most efficient way to provide information. If someone is tired of answering a type of question, they don't have to do so

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a small plastic bag that I bring with me to the showers, that way I can bring my valubles right into the shower stall and keep an eye on them without them getting wet. Never leave your important stuff behind - Money, passport, creditcards, diary and in your case the camera. It is kind of bulky to have in your sleepingbag at night, maybe you could keep it in your backpack and secure the back to your bed? Otherwise just carry it like you would at home.
Buen camino to you.

Hello!

Hi Michael,
You didn't say what your 'nice' camera is, but if it's big and bulky like a DSLR, I'd leave it home for many reasons, and potential theft is only one of them. As an avid, albiet non-professional photographer myself, I wrestled with this question, and in the end I just took a compact camera with PASM controls. That said, I've seen thousands of outstanding images from the Camino that were shot with smartphones. The most important consideration, IMO, is your reason for doing the Camino. If the reason is primarily to to create a photographic essay or shoot a documentary, then by all means take the appropriate camera equipment. But if you're going for any other reason, I'd simplify the photo gear and let photography take a back seat -- you'll still be amazed at the photos you'll take along the way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would think the point of this forum would be promoting a community rather than finding the most efficient way to provide information. If someone is tired of answering a type of question, they don't have to do so
An interesting double standard! You want to promote community where it suits you, but equally engage in behaviour that might see other people not wanting to participate.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My slim and easy to pocket (my pocket, of course :D) Sony Cybershot DSC-W360 has taken thousands of shots on a 32GB Micro with adapter, which I had copied at photo copy centers in larger towns onto CD's at very reasonable cost. Just to reduce possible "losses":rolleyes:

My thought was to stop at an internet cafe once a week or so to do a footage dump. I read in a few places that they are somewhat common along the route

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My thought was to stop at an internet cafe once a week or so to do a footage dump. I read in a few places that they are somewhat common along the route
Don't know what kind of camera you're going to take with you, but if it has wi-fi connection the answer is simple - Dropbox or something similar and your pics will be safe. When you get home you just download them to your PC and- voila.

I took a nice camera on the Camino, because photography is one of my passions. I took a Sony Nex-3, partially because it looks like a point and shoot to an unschooled eye, and partially because its weight was not much different than a point and shoot. I kept it in a fanny pack around my waist instead of a fancy camera bag. It stayed around my waist 24/7 (even while sleeping), unless I was showering. At that time, the whole fanny pack (and my watch and Kindle) went into a 2 gal. Ziploc that came into the shower with me. I brought a battery recharger so that the camera did not stay plugged into the wall, just the battery.

In summary, a combination of camouflage and caution. Needless to say, there was not a problem.

€46,-
Why would anyone on here chastise a new member for asking questions about topics that have been brought up before?
If you don't like it, don't read it. Kind of like a television program. Change the channel.

This is precisely why I tend to only lurk and not ask questions directly. Or ask them via private conversations. Too bad, really, because this could become a carrousel of the same few people talking, while the rest of the newbies are kindly invited to stick to the FAQs or the search button.

This is precisely why I tend to only lurk and not ask questions directly. Or ask them via private conversations. Too bad, really, because this could become a carrousel of the same few people talking, while the rest of the newbies are kindly invited to stick to the FAQs or the search button.

Such a shame:(

I think there are subjects that deserve a sticky, so that some of the not mentioned FAQs get an easy to find answer from past pilgrims, like the reviews of the gear they used on their camino.

If a future pilgrim wants to ask a question, they should just fire away. People that want to answer, will answer and hopefully one day "you" will then also help the new newbies. Only that will brake the chain of the carrousel you are talking about.

I agree with @Mark Lee on his point. Dont chastise. If you dont like the program, change the channel or hit the big red OFF button.

I dont like the search function, or the way it (i guess) technically works. In my eyes it gives way too many results, but thats my opinion. Maybe thats the reason why some ask a question that has already been asked before.

... Your nice camera should be a point and shoot, anything bigger would be a total pain in the a$$.

I agree, having walked the Camino with a DSLR and a compact on different occasions I personally would never take a DSLR again on the Camino. There are a lot of high-end compact cameras around that make outstanding photos whose technical quality is good enough for large prints. Buen Camino! SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can remember two occasions when I answered questions in a short tempered way. I regretted both, and was sorry. It is so easy to make assumptions that prove wrong. On a forum like this background information is often lacking. So now my practice is to wait or ignore a post, rather than to react.

But, @Ottawa123 if it is just a question that has been asked many times before it does not worry me in the least - at my age it is a pleasure to have people listen when I repeat myself. As I frequently do, according to my dearest and dearest.

I'm glad the OP asked the question as I've found a couple of good tips in this thread.

Ignore anyone wanting to keep the forum 'tidy' by not having duplicate threads.
You can see from the Thread Title whether you want to engage in conversation. If not, ignore it and move on.

It's sad to read that others have been apprehensive from posting new threads/questions due to 'others' trying to moderate a couple mb's of bandwidth.

Buen Camino all, ask away!

in planning for my Camino last year, I was adamant I was going to take along my DSLR camera with fantastic lens .... until I weighed it ... 4.3 kilograms... that's 2 t-shirts, 2 pants, rain gear...almost the entire content of my back pack :) so went out bought a good quality aim and shot pocket camera which weighed very little and took fantastic pics... and was small enough to fit into my bum bag (UK) fanny pack (USA) along with all other 'valuables' ... I saw a lot of 'relaxed' people on my walk ie leaving the room with all their valuables lying around, this is not a smart thing to do anywhere - so keep your cash, passport, camera on your body at all times, take into the shower cubicle with you and you'll have no problems. Regarding downloading your pics at a internet café - I take along 5-6 smaller memory cards (4GB), and keep them in a separate spot from my camera, that way if I damage / loose the camera or it gets stolen, I loose a few pics vs all of them ... happy planning

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm so glad that I can read through all of this. Seriously, it nearly pains me to leave my Canon Rebel behind, but I know in my heart of hearts that it would be incredibly heavy, and that ultimately I would probably damage it in some way. The jury is still out, to be honest. My iPhone 5 takes fine photos, and by the time I depart, I will probably be using an i phone 6---so, I just need to think about it all.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The camera I'm getting isn't big and bulky, but should still give me high quality photos and video. It was recommended to me by a film videographer friend of mine. I haven't bought it yet, but I'm pretty sure it will fit well in a fanny pack

I went back and forth about bringing my iPad but have decided to leave it at home for several reasons. First I want to unplug as much as possible, second I don't need the extra weight, and third I really don't want to worry about it's security. I think I would be constantly concerned about where I was going to put it for safe keeping. I don't want that little extra thing to worry about.

I'd rather be massaging my feet or looking for a corkscrew.

I went back and forth about bringing my iPad but have decided to leave it at home for several reasons. First I want to unplug as much as possible, second I don't need the extra weight, and third I really don't want to worry about it's security. I think I would be constantly concerned about where I was going to put it for safe keeping. I don't want that little extra thing to worry about.

I'd rather be massaging my feet or looking for a corkscrew.

Ha ha! I'd be photographing that....

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
After reading the tips on here about camera weight and security etc, I think I'll just be taking my mobile phone with a spare memory card for photos.
Does all the jobs in one and only needs one power outlet.

I have used an Olympus Stylus weatherproof camera. It is small, light, tough, and takes great pictures. The downside is that my model uses a separate charger for the battery. Similar cameras from other manufacturers may recharge directly. The charger is light, but is one more thing to keep tract of!!!

On my next caminho I will take a Gopro Hero 4 Silver camera with me 160 grams weight .for vids and pics.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
At first I thought I would be taking my D610 and a GoPro with me at the Camino... Now, after reading a bunch of posts regarding the eternal DSLR x 2nd option, I'm purchasing a smaller camera which still has great ability to take pictures (Canon g16)... Since I'm not recording a documentary, there's no point to take tons of equipment.. so I'll only have a small PS camera with DSLR capabilities, 1 extra battery and charger... Even thinking about leaving the phone at home.. Now, that would be a really great experience! :)

At first I thought I would be taking my D610 and a GoPro with me at the Camino... Now, after reading a bunch of posts regarding the eternal DSLR x 2nd option, I'm purchasing a smaller camera which still has great ability to take pictures (Canon g16)... Since I'm not recording a documentary, there's no point to take tons of equipment.. so I'll only have a small PS camera with DSLR capabilities, 1 extra battery and charger... Even thinking about leaving the phone at home.. Now, that would be a really great experience! :)
The G16 is a good choice, but still pretty large in "Camino terms". Have you considered an S120 as an option? -- same sensor, pretty much same everything else except a bit less zoom range and f-range as the G16 in a much smaller and lighter package. Go to dpreview.com and do a side-by-side comparison if you haven't already done so. Yes, the G16 has an optical view finder (of sorts), but it's so basic it can't compare to what you're used to seeing in your D610. I have older versions of both the G-series and S-series Canons (G10 and S100), and after acquiring the S100 my G10 has pretty much been gathering dust. FWIW, I left my D7000, and the G10 and the S100 at home and took an SX150is as my only camera on my Camino and was happy with that decision.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The G16 is a good choice, but still pretty large in "Camino terms". Have you considered an S120 as an option? -- same sensor, pretty much same everything else except a bit less zoom range and f-range as the G16 in a much smaller and lighter package. Go to dpreview.com and do a side-by-side comparison if you haven't already done so. Yes, the G16 has an optical view finder (of sorts), but it's so basic it can't compare to what you're used to seeing in your D610. I have older versions of both the G-series and S-series Canons (G10 and S100), and after acquiring the S100 my G10 has pretty much been gathering dust. FWIW, I left my D7000, and the G10 and the S100 at home and took an SX150is as my only camera on my Camino and was happy with that decision.

Hi Jim, yes I've considered! The S120 is even better in a side-by-side comparison, but I can't live without a viewfinder (yes, even a really basic one as the one in G16)...

I guess, after a lot of consideration, the D610 was too large in "Camino terms" and then, the G16 became a good choice! =)

Hi Jim, yes I've considered! The S120 is even better in a side-by-side comparison, but I can't live without a viewfinder (yes, even a really basic one as the one in G16)...

I guess, after a lot of consideration, the D610 was too large in "Camino terms" and then, the G16 became a good choice! =)
Well, you can't go wrong with any of the high-end Canon compacts. I recently spent three weeks in Ireland with just a Canon G1x, and the images I got were as good as I could have gotten with my DSLR. Of course the G1X is a noticeably larger and heavier than the G16, but the sensor is just a mm or two smaller each way than the APS/DX sensors. ¡Buen Camino!

I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but one tip I once got from a professional photographer is to stick bits of duct tape on your camera (not anywhere where it will interfere with the workings, obviously). A camera that looks battered and broken is very unlikely to appeal to a thief.

I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but one tip I once got from a professional photographer is to stick bits of duct tape on your camera (not anywhere where it will interfere with the workings, obviously). A camera that looks battered and broken is very unlikely to appeal to a thief.

I like that, thanks

@Rob the Slob, your tip is a good one but one way that will take it up a notch is to use what is called Gaffer's Tape. Used by most pros because it sticks well be comes off without leaving any residue behind plus it comes in all black which dresses up your camera for formal night ;)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.