• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question About Tipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

creamcitys

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking last 100 Miles from O'Cerbeiro April 28
I've been trying to figure out what is proper for tipping for services in Spain without any success. What is expected for restaurants or getting transfers to locations?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've been trying to figure out what is proper for tipping for services in Spain without any success. What is expected for restaurants or getting transfers to locations?
We have had a couple of threads about tipping on the Camino with a variety of interesting replies. A moderator can provide you with one or more links.

General protocol in Western Europe is that you tip those who deserve it, and not just for normal service ; if you become aware that the situation in a particular country is that tipping is a significant enough % of their income, then you tip ; also, if you have more income than most others, then you tip ; conversely, if you're impoverished, you rarely need to, but other points still apply regardless ; if you like the person, then you tip.

Mostly peculiar to Europe is the fact that it is quite acceptable to deliberately insult someone by tipping them inappropriately, various methods, though the most frequent is to leave some derisory amount of single-digit centimes, and direct a compliment to the person they are intended for (not necessarily your waiter -- it could be "compliments to the chef" or something ; though there's other methods, such as giving a tip larger than the meal price to some poor waiter unhappy to be working at such a trashy place). -- I'm sure similar exists in the US, but the norm over the pond that waiters should be tipped systematically does water it down somewhat.

I must admit that establishments that provide your change with smaller denomination coins in order to try and induce maximum tipping, induce me to leave zilch.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As a child growing part of the time in Europe and later living there for a while as an adult, we always paid the waiter directly and in cash for any meal or drink service. Usually he or she had a big leather folding wallet with bills and change. You don't leave the tip on the table, but make sure it gets into the waiter's hands if you intend to leave a tip. Also in Europe they are less likely to just bring your bill to the table and generally you must ask for it. I remembered being mildly chastised by a waiter when I asked to pay for a coffee when it arrived and had to explain that I had a train connection and did not want to miss it!

We seldom pay with a card in Spain, but Covid may have changed all that in 2 years.

Normally I would leave the loose change from a drink on the bar or table but have had staff come after me thinking I'd forgotten my change.
Tipping in Europe is not the same thing as it is in the US. In restaurants you'll usually see "servicio incluido" on the bill - service included - and staff will be genuinely surprised or pleased if you recognise service above and beyond.
Of course sometimes the staff tip you!
When I worked in the Pilgrim office and was on the early shift I would stop off at the Confiteria San Roque for breakfast: grand cafe con leche, zumo de naranja and croissant. By my third visit a second plate came up, first time it was a biscuit, then another pastry and so on. They could tell I was working in SdC because of the blue Voluntario teeshirt.
At the end of the two weeks I told them it was my last day and I was heading back to the UK and they wouldn't give me the bill! I waited until the two ladies were busy and slipped back to the table and wedged a €5 note under the saucer.
I suppose they see a lot of Pilgrims once and appreciate return custom.

Have a great Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Off topic, but back before the Euro, my father wore out his pockets carrying coins. Every country had a different currency and he eventually had to adopt a common European custom of carrying a leather man bag/purse to keep currency separate as he traveled between Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands often for work.

As there is no point in re hashing old arguments on this thread I will close it.
To the OP: Use the search function at the top of the page or check the links provided above to see other discussions on this topic. You probably won't be any wiser at the end of that so my two cents worth is to tip if the service is good and you feel like it or not, your choice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.