Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Question about travel, Madrid to León

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, @MickWexford and welcome to the forum!

I moved your thread out of the discussion about online Renfe sales to a new thread.

Trains from Madrid to León leave from Chamartín train station, which in in the north part of Madrid.

The easiest way to get to it from the airport depends on which terminal you will be arriving in. If you arrive on Iberia or an Iberia partner, you will land in T4. There is a Cercanías (commuter rail) stop there. It goes directly to Chamartín and take about 15 minutes.

If you land in T1, 2, or 3, it is a bit more complicated. You can get to T4, where the Cercanía stop is, on an intra-airport bus. Those buses go very regularly and take about 15-20 minutes.

The other option from T1, T2, or T3, is the Madrid Metro. It’s a great system, but the Airport to Chamartín is a bit complicated. There are several options, all reqruiring some transfers. Easiest is probably pink line to Nuevos Ministerios, change to Line 10 there. Here’s the Metro Map.

I don’t think there is a direct bus connection either. But you can get a bus to Avenida de Américas and then transfer, I think.

Hoping you arrive in T4, since Cercanías is hands down easiest!

TMcA

Past OR future Camino
Pamplona to Santiago (2013)
Le Puy to Pamplona in segments (2013 - 2016)
Pamplona to León
Cheap. Simple, Highly recommended.

I like the train much better bc the seating is more comfortable for me (6' and 190 lbs) and I can get up and stretch. Also easy to get to toilet.

Worth the very minor hassle of taking the Cercanías. For me, anyway.

Buen Camino.

Camino Cups
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

ranthr

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
And the taxis have fixed price too!
If you choose the metro, be aware of pickpockets, there are several of them and they are clever.

TrvlDad1

Covidyard Bob
Past OR future Camino
2017 Frances from Saria
2018 Finnisterre & Ingles
2019 Portuguese from Valenca
2020 Assisi(cancel.)
I have a March ticket bought online for the terminal T4 bus to Burgos. Surely they run from T4 to Leon as well.

MickWexford

Past OR future Camino
Hi, @MickWexford and welcome to the forum!

I moved your thread out of the discussion about online Renfe sales to a new thread.

Trains from Madrid to León leave from Chamartín train station, which in in the north part of Madrid.

The easiest way to get to it from the airport depends on which terminal you will be arriving in. If you arrive on Iberia or an Iberia partner, you will land in T4. There is a Cercanías (commuter rail) stop there. It goes directly to Chamartín and take about 15 minutes.

If you land in T1, 2, or 3, it is a bit more complicated. You can get to T4, where the Cercanía stop is, on an intra-airport bus. Those buses go very regularly and take about 15-20 minutes.

The other option from T1, T2, or T3, is the Madrid Metro. It’s a great system, but the Airport to Chamartín is a bit complicated. There are several options, all reqruiring some transfers. Easiest is probably pink line to Nuevos Ministerios, change to Line 10 there. Here’s the Metro Map.

I don’t think there is a direct bus connection either. But you can get a bus to Avenida de Américas and then transfer, I think.

Hoping you arrive in T4, since Cercanías is hands down easiest!
T4 is my arrival point. Thanks

Past OR future Camino
To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
T4 is my arrival point. Thanks
In this case and since you have already your train ticket for Madrid-Leon check whether there is a code on the ticket that will allow you to get the Cercanías ticket for the trip from the airport to the train station in Madrid for free.

If you don't care about saving a handful of euros, maybe you want to do it for the adventure ☺️. You can get the free ticket either from the ticket machine by entering the code or from the friendly staff in the small ticket office on the other side.

Here is a link and a videoclip:

Csutak

Past OR future Camino
Since 2006 almost every year, usually walking more than two routes
And the taxis have fixed price too!
If you choose the metro, be aware of pickpockets, there are several of them and they are clever.

Yes, this is very important! On my first Camino in 2006 on the very first day I was almost robbed on the metro in Barcelona.

Camino de Santiago of the Canary Islands
The officially recognized Camino de Santiago on the Canary Islands!
Camino Cups

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 104 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances