• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question for a winter camino for dry feet.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Vasco, Meseta, Portugues Coastal
Hi all,

I sent this message to @davebugg as he is the guru of equipment and I respect his expertise.
Please note that I am reiterating what I wrote to Dave. I appreciate suggestions and advice from all. I do not want to change the shoes I am wearing. I am looking for a prophylaxis to wear over my Brooks Cascadia Trail Runners or between my Trail Runners and my winter socks. I also do not want to apply some type of waterproofing sealant to my Brooks because I am afraid my feet will sweat more and may cause me blisters. I have had 5 blisters in almost 6,000K and haven't had one since 2015 and who needs another one ;). Homemade remedies are appreciated. Also as I wrote I have size 15 (American shoe size) so it isn't easy to find things for my feet. I live in Mexico and I have to go to the states to buy shoes. Anything over 12 here is next to impossible to find. Thanks in advance

Hi Dave,
I may walk the Aragones/Frances in December of this year. I always do my camino in Brooks Cascadia trail runners and I really do not want to change at all. I know there will most likely be snow on the Aragones and the normal places on the CF. I will join the CF in Puente La Reina. Here is my issue and my question. I live in Mexico so buying any kind of winter gear is pretty hard and even if I can find what may be suggested the shipping costs are really high and things can get caught up in customs for a long time and sometimes do not go through. Also buying things for my feet can be a problem because I wear size 15 (yes I have gunboat feet). So that makes it more difficult. I do not care if my trail runners get wet. I have walked in snow before, I know they will dry. I just want to keep my feet warm and dry if possible. I was thinking of just wearing plastic bags over my winter socks as a solution during days with heavy slush or snow. Are there any small rain boot that I can put over my trail runners or any other type of prophylaxis that I can wear. I DO NOT want to wear boots and I do not want to carry an extra pair of shoes.
I will be in the New York at the end of April to visit my girls so I can order something or shop in the New York City to find something. If you have any ideas or you think the plastic bags will do the trick that would be great. I have no problems with what anything may look like. I will post this on the equipment page also in case someone has an idea. I want an easy solution and like I said I really do not want to wear anything but my Brooks. They have been great to me and I haven't had a blister since 2015.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dave will have a sound opinion I’m sure.

Plastic bags, being impermeable, will cause your feet to sweat and will not allow the sweat to disperse. It’s not an option I would take.

There are various form of overshoe, sold really for temporary use. I’ve never seen any with decent grip on the sole. They’re a slightly more sophisticated rubberised plastic bag really.

You’re certain in your sole choice of footware, recognising that you may well be in snow and ice. IMHO you’ll have cold wet feet.

I hope Dave has an alternative.

Dave will have a sound opinion I’m sure.

Plastic bags, being impermeable, will cause your feet to sweat and will not allow the sweat to disperse. It’s not an option I would take.

There are various form of overshoe, sold really for temporary use. I’ve never seen any with decent grip on the sole. They’re a slightly more sophisticated rubberised plastic bag really.

You’re certain in your sole choice of footware, recognising that you may well be in snow and ice. IMHO you’ll have cold wet feet.

I hope Dave has an alternative.
Thanks for your input. I may not be able to pull it off. The issue is the few times I trained in anything but my Cascadias I got some serious blisters. I was hoping that when I needed the plastic bags it wouldn't be for the whole day as I was afraid of alot of perspiration.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for your input. I may not be able to pull it off. The issue is the few times I trained in anything but my Cascadias I got some serious blisters. I was hoping that when I needed the plastic bags it wouldn't be for the whole day as I was afraid of alot of perspiration.
Good luck!

With your feet at least you might not sink in the snow; and you’ll be stable in high wind.

Footware is very much a personal preference and I entirely understand your position.

I’m from a much wetter and more hilly place and spend most days in lightweight leather walking boots. On a fine day in Spain I envy those in lighter shoes.

The real problem is not keeping your feet dry, it is keeping them warm. If you wrap your feet in plastic bags the socks will get wet from sweat but that is a warm wet and the bag will prevent cold water from replacing warm sweat. If you don't have the bag then each puddle or rainfall will be getting the socks wet but also, since this is a constant cold wet, your feet will constantly be losing heat to the streams of water coming in.

There will be a problem either way of your skin softening due to the moisture so be on the alert for blisters or shedding skin.

Another thing, unlike soldiers, backpackers and mountaineers that have to worry about living with wet socks day after day or longer after maybe every six hours of walking you will have a chance to dry those wet socks for use the next day. Let's hope the camino is dry that day.

Last edited:
Good luck!

With your feet at least you might not sink in the snow; and you’ll be stable in high wind.

Footware is very much a personal preference and I entirely understand your position.

I’m from a much wetter and more hilly place and spend most days in lightweight leather walking boots. On a fine day in Spain I envy those in lighter shoes.
You put a big smile on my face with your comments. Take care and thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The real problem is not keeping your feet dry, it is keeping them warm. If you wrap your feet in plastic bags the socks will get wet from sweat but that is a warm wet and the bag will prevent cold water from replacing warm sweat. If you don't have the bag then each puddle or rainfall will be getting the socks wet but also, since this is a constant cold wet, your feet will constantly be losing heat to the streams of water coming in.

There will be a problem either way of your skin softening due to the moisture so be on the alert for blisters or shedding skin.

Another thing, unlike soldiers, backpackers and mountaineers that have to worry about living with wet socks day after day or longer after maybe every six hours of walking you will have a chance to dry those wet socks for use the next day. Let's hope the camino is dry that day.
That is exactly what I hope for also. I guess it will be an adventure and some trial and error. Who knows maybe it will be a dry winter or at least a late winter as I hope to start around November 15th now.

You can try waterproof socks.
Be aware that even the warm weather waterproof socks are fairly thick. For that reason I would stay away from the old weather socks unless you have lots of room in your shoes.

Sealskinz makes waterproof hiking socks, including cold weather versions. They seem worth looking into. REI carries them. Your feet are going to sweat and if they can't breathe I'd worry about blistering from moisture buildup. As someone who lives in a cold weather clime, I'd avoid putting plastic around my feet. When I was a kid, my neighbor friend's mom would make him wear Wonder Bread bags over his socks before putting his boots on. You could always try that! ;-)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have you thought about gaiters? Neither shoes nor boots are really waterproof because water gets in over the top and soaks in via your socks and trousers. Gaiters cover the gap. I think your best bet would be to carry extra pairs of woollen socks so you always have something warm and dry to put on next day.

You can try waterproof socks.
Be aware that even the warm weather waterproof socks are fairly thick. For that reason I would stay away from the old weather socks unless you have lots of room in your shoes.
I do have room in my trail runners I normally wear a 14 regular and on camino I wear a 15 wide. I will check this out for sure thanks so much

Sealskinz makes waterproof hiking socks, including cold weather versions. They seem worth looking into. REI carries them. Your feet are going to sweat and if they can't breathe I'd worry about blistering from moisture buildup. As someone who lives in a cold weather clime, I'd avoid putting plastic around my feet. When I was a kid, my neighbor friend's mom would make him wear Wonder Bread bags over his socks before putting his boots on. You could always try that! ;-)
In a pinch in February 2006 I once wore plastic bags over my socks. Ever since walking in late autumn/winter I always wore Goretex lined boots and never had a blister.

Remember you must be prepared for sleet and snow.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tommy I actually thought about that too but I figured they wouldn't last long on the camino haha. I was thinking of just wearing them when necessary. The camino I would start on is downhill. Where I would start from which is Canfrac Estacion which is 1,200 meters. That day I would stop in Jaca which is 800 meters. The next day it would be between 7 and 600 meters and from there between 400 and a few big hills up to about 750 until I join the CF. What do you think oh great Nanook From The North. I am going to start in mid November and maybe winter will be late but with my luck.........

Have you thought about gaiters? Neither shoes nor boots are really waterproof because water gets in over the top and soaks in via your socks and trousers. Gaiters cover the gap. I think your best bet would be to carry extra pairs of woollen socks so you always have something warm and dry to put on next day.
I will carry 2 pair of wool socks. Gaiters have never been a great solution for me. Also I have a small pack and walking in winter means heavier clothes of course and bulkier. I will have my sleeping bag and I also carry a very small and mushy pillow on every camino because I hate the pillows in albergues. I would need to carry a chiropractor in my bag with me. I don't like the blow up pillows either. Gee, am I a little Pea and the Princess or what!!

Hi all,
After several camino in boots I planned to switch this year to lighter weight trail runners. I settled on the Altra Olympus 4 which seems to have the best cushioning but also creates the waterproofing problem you are discussing. The Olympus 4 upper material is a mesh designed to allow water to drain after stream crossings, which guarantees wet feet anytime it's raining heavily.

To solve this problem I initially thought of plastic bags, but more recently I've been experimenting with the waterproof socks from Sealskinz (mentioned above). Having worn them a few times on training walks through mud puddles and they do keep the feet dry. Shoes are wet, outside layer of the sock is wet but the feet stay dry due to their three layer construction. The outer layer is made with some sort of synthetic yarn. The middle layer some sort of waterproof membrane and the inner layer is a softer fiber. The "feel" of the sock is definitely different from the Darn Tough merino wool socks I normally wear -- it's stiffer than wool and feels like you're pulling on a thin pliable boot (I don't know how to describe it other than that). The stiffness comes from the inner layer membrane material. As you can see in the photo, the socks are stiff enough to hold shape.

My guess is the waterproof membrane definitely will not be as durable nor as comfortable as ordinary wool hiking socks, so I plan to wear them only when conditions are wet. To compensate for the comfort issue I have tried using a merino wool sock liner from REI (about $12) and that helps a lot. The sock liner clings to the foot the same way a normal sock does and it compensates for the looseness of the waterproof sock. The liner should also help wick moisture away from the foot and into the inner most layer of the Sealskinz sock.

Re gaiters -- Altra makes a very light weight gaiter to help keep dirt and small stones out of trail runners. It won't help at all keeping rain off the socks. A water-repellant gaiter would definitely help keep water away from the sock tops and cover part of the shoe itself. When I waIk in drenching rain without gaiters I've found that once your pants get soaked water runs down inside the pant legs, soaks the socks and begins filling the shoe. (Sealskinz waterproof socks have a silicone-like band at the top of the sock that should help with that problem). If I were doing a December Camino I would definitely pack some sort of water repellent gaiter.

Attachments

• IMG_3261.jpeg
    IMG_3261.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You're not going to visit San Juan de la Peña?
Nope. For two reasons it will be winter and my days of shlepping up 500 meters in a couple of kilometers especially in winter holds no attraction for me. I don't care how beautiful or spiritual or whatever it is up there!!! Haha. now if there is a bus or a taxi that would take me there and back that might be different. What say you?????
Here is the translation in gronze.com
We can take the interesting variant that passes through the monasteries, the new and the old, of San Juan de la Peña; it increases the distance by 13.8 km and presents a positive slope of 500 meters. This variant, signposted as GR 65.3.2, runs along rocky stretches of mountain paths with steep slopes. There are no complicated steps and the signage is good, but it is only recommended for pilgrims with experience on this type of path; In addition, we advise against going alone. In this case, the end of the natural stage is Santa Cilia.

Hi all,
After several camino in boots I planned to switch this year to lighter weight trail runners. I settled on the Altra Olympus 4 which seems to have the best cushioning but also creates the waterproofing problem you are discussing. The Olympus 4 upper material is a mesh designed to allow water to drain after stream crossings, which guarantees wet feet anytime it's raining heavily.

To solve this problem I initially thought of plastic bags, but more recently I've been experimenting with the waterproof socks from Sealskinz (mentioned above). Having worn them a few times on training walks through mud puddles and they do keep the feet dry. Shoes are wet, outside layer of the sock is wet but the feet stay dry due to their three layer construction. The outer layer is made with some sort of synthetic yarn. The middle layer some sort of waterproof membrane and the inner layer is a softer fiber. The "feel" of the sock is definitely different from the Darn Tough merino wool socks I normally wear -- it's stiffer than wool and feels like you're pulling on a thin pliable boot (I don't know how to describe it other than that). The stiffness comes from the inner layer membrane material. As you can see in the photo, the socks are stiff enough to hold shape.

My guess is the waterproof membrane definitely will not be as durable nor as comfortable as ordinary wool hiking socks, so I plan to wear them only when conditions are wet. To compensate for the comfort issue I have tried using a merino wool sock liner from REI (about $12) and that helps a lot. The sock liner clings to the foot the same way a normal sock does and it compensates for the looseness of the waterproof sock. The liner should also help wick moisture away from the foot and into the inner most layer of the Sealskinz sock.

Re gaiters -- Altra makes a very light weight gaiter to help keep dirt and small stones out of trail runners. It won't help at all keeping rain off the socks. A water-repellant gaiter would definitely help keep water away from the sock tops and cover part of the shoe itself. When I waIk in drenching rain without gaiters I've found that once your pants get soaked water runs down inside the pant legs, soaks the socks and begins filling the shoe. (Sealskinz waterproof socks have a silicone-like band at the top of the sock that should help with that problem). If I were doing a December Camino I would definitely pack some sort of water repellent gaiter.
Thanks so much for your advice. I will be wearing something underneath my wool socks. Something similar to what you suggested. I have some stuff to think about here because of my stubbornness or as I like to think my loyalty to my Brooks Cascadias :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nope. For two reasons it will be winter and my days of shlepping up 500 meters in a couple of kilometers especially in winter holds no attraction for me. I don't care how beautiful or spiritual or whatever it is up there!!! Haha. now if there is a bus or a taxi that would take me there and back that might be different. What say you?????
Here is the translation in gronze.com
We can take the interesting variant that passes through the monasteries, the new and the old, of San Juan de la Peña; it increases the distance by 13.8 km and presents a positive slope of 500 meters. This variant, signposted as GR 65.3.2, runs along rocky stretches of mountain paths with steep slopes. There are no complicated steps and the signage is good, but it is only recommended for pilgrims with experience on this type of path; In addition, we advise against going alone. In this case, the end of the natural stage is Santa Cilia.
There is a bus. It is the shuttle bus that takes the workers up there in the morning and back in the afternoon and costs about 1.5 euros. Ask the extremely friendly and helpful tourist office in Jaca. The monastery is a must-see, it is of huge historical and cultural significance, you will regret it for ever if you don't see it. Definitely worth a day.

Haha. now if there is a bus or a taxi that would take me there and back that might be different. What say you?????
There is. @dick bird mentioned one way. There is a tourist bus too but that may not be running in November. Someone on the forum shared a taxi with a total of 60€. Use the forum's search engine to look for posts with the words bus jaca san juan peña.

Besides the tourist bureau in Jaca the hospitalero in Jaca would be a good source of information.

I thought that the old monastery of San Juan de la Peña was worth a two week walk to see. The "new" monastery dates to about 1600. It is now a parador-like hotel and a museum.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The site is unforgettable. I have not walked there, but driving up the mountain road was steep!

As an architectural historian it was my professional privilege/ personal pleasure to visit many special places in this world, but the old monastery of San Juan de la Pena belongs in that unique category of sublime timeless perfection.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.