• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question for Australian Pilgrims

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I have a client who will be flying from Australia (Tasmania) and I'm not sure of the best way for her to get from there to Pamplona. This would be for Autumn 2016.

Has anyone done this?
Any advice?

Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Annie

When I started the camino from Pamplona last year I flew to Barcelona from Sydney (Emirates airline) and then took the train to Pamplona.

My flight arrived in the morning and I caught an afternoon train.

I could have done the same thing from Madrid, but I was more familiar with Barcelona at the time and felt the connection was easier.

If your client is coming from Tasmania, she may appreciate an overnight in Madrid/Barcelona before traveling on to Pamplona.

buen camino

I flew into Madrid and caught a bus to the bus station in Avenue Americano. From there it was easy to catch a bus to Pamplona. I believe there is a bus to Pamplona from Terminal Four, but because it was around 6am in the morning there wasn't anyone to ask, so I was unable to locate it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think Etihad flys out of Melbourne one stop to Madrid. Apparently they are excellent.
Last time I used a travel agent to book which cost me $100 more then if I did it online but was well worth it for the after sales service

From Tasmania I'd suggest a flight out of Melbourne or Sydney. The fastest and most convenient is either Emirates or Etihad to Madrid with only one stop at Dubai or AbuDhabi. Just be careful that it is a direct flight, the last thing she wants is being stuck in, for example, Perth (one of the Melbourne flights goes there first) for several hours. On our flight (in 14 days whoopee!) we are having a stopover in Dubai for a sleep in an airport hotel before going on to Madrid. I'd suggest that or a hotel in Madrid for a decent sleep before going on to Pamplona.

After a 28 hour flight I am slightly mental for the first few days and know my decision making is impaired. More impaired than normal!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Annie, being Melbourne lad I travelled early May 2014 on Emirates to Barcelona. It was a Monday flight, leaving at 9.30pm, two hour stopover in Dubai, arriving early afternoon on Tuesday in Barcelona. I then caught a fast train to Pamplona arriving approximately 6.30pm. Istvan then pickup me up for an overnight stay at Corazon Puro for transport to SJPdP the next morning. Your client could easily catch a flight from Tassie to Melbourne during Monday. The 9.30pm flight is still scheduled for May 2016.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a client who will be flying from Australia (Tasmania) and I'm not sure of the best way for her to get from there to Pamplona. This would be for Autumn 2016.

Has anyone done this?
Any advice?

Thanks!
Best way to get to Pamplona is taking a flight from Melbourne or Sydney to Madrid, then you can take the train straight there. Barcelona is also a good option, but it´s a bit further away and the flight fares are quite similar.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back