• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question for Camino de Madrid

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Primitivo, V. Augusta, V. Plata, Vadiniense, Libaniego, S Salvador, Ingles.
Hello fellow pilgrims,
I am planning to walk the Camino de Madrid next year in May. I am a minimalist pilgrim, I just carry the necessary or less.

My question is, do I need any electronic navigation devices, or is the way good enough sign poster?

I prefer just to follow the yellow arrows and let the mind flow, than to follow a GPS device.
Thanks in advance for your answers.
Ohhh! And if you have some good advice to leave here for me, I would like to read it.
Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello fellow pilgrims,
I am planning to walk the Camino de Madrid next year in May. I am a minimalist pilgrim, I just carry the necessary or less.

My question is, do I need any electronic navigation devices, or is the way good enough sign poster?

I prefer just to follow the yellow arrows and let the mind flow, than to follow a GPS device.
Thanks in advance for your answers.
Ohhh! And if you have some good advice to leave here for me, I would like to read it.
Buen Camino!
Hola, CSS,

No need for GPS navigation although good to have at least some printed guide with you. CdM is well signed and you shouldn't have any problems just following the arrows or mojones.

For the rest re advice try to read some of older as well as ongoing threads in Madrid section. There are some forum members on the way right now and I'll start on April 19th (just to Villeguillo and then transfer to Levante though). There will be plenty of fresh reports until your departure.

Have a nice day!

Thanks for your answer. I am reading the CdM section since a couple of weeks, a lot of real good informations.
I am happy, I did some of the lonely routes in Spain, luckily this routes were all more or less good sign posted, good to know the CdM too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for your answer. I am reading the CdM section since a couple of weeks, a lot of real good informations.
I am happy, I did some of the lonely routes in Spain, luckily this routes were all more or less good sign posted, good to know the CdM too.
I walked Ingles two years ago and can easily confirm that CdM is equally well signposted. Actually it was in 2014 when I've walked it ;)

I walked CdM last year and it is extremely well waymarked. The CSJ guide which you can get in Kindle version is VERY up to date and recommended. And tells you everything you need to know. I hope you will enjoy it as much at I did! As @KinkyOne says reading the threads in this subforum is, I found, particularly helpful - because it is small and full of enthusiasts. Oh and virtually a bedbug free zone:);):)

So it is very well marked. But as someone who is a bit of a nervous nellie, I downloaded wikiloc on my cell and paid the 5 euros for 3 months access once I got to Spain. There are tracks previos people have made. It was a great comfort to me as I'm not the best with directions and i was alone for a couple days without seeing others. It wasn't necessary but I was glad to have it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes. I tend to use GPS and mapping apps very little, though I record my own trace obsessively every day;). But just one day on CdM, actually trying to get back on trail from Tres Cantos, I found maps.me and someone else's trave very useful. I use wikiloc now but very little still. I'm on VF at present and Google maps VERY useful at end of day for finding already booked accommodation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.