• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question for DSLR users

Maxcheese

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi again guys!

I was wondering, how do you carry your camera on the camino? I want mine accessible at all times so I don't want to stuff it in my pack and I'm looking for a way to strap outside somehow.

I bought a Peak Desing clip but it feels really unnatural when dangling from the belt or straps. Just letting it hang from the neck is obviously not an option either.

Do any of you have an homemade/original solution for this ?

Thank's again for your input!

Max

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How do I carry my DSLR on the camino?? I don’t. I leave it at home so it doesn't get dropped or dirty or stolen, but I do take my Nikon Coolpix A900, a good-quality compact camera, with excellent zoom, macro, and high-resolution capabilities, in a padded case that has a 'half-loop' on the back and slides easily onto the waist strap of my backpack, so the camera is always accessible.

Last edited:
If you enter "dslr strap" or similar words in the Search box (in the upper right corner of the screen), you will find a number of threads discussing options for carrying cameras. I seem to recall some homemade designs, too.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I carry a small very small mirrorless with a couple lenses in a poach/camera case on the front of my hip belt. Please note this is a very small m43 and smaller lenses. the poach has a thin shoulder strap I use in the evenings. The poach is not part of the backpack but has belt loops.

I don't think this is the solution for a SLR due to size.

The total weight is 700g for body, 3 lenses, batteries and located in backpack charger and spare sd cards.

Last edited:
Here is a link to the bag I use with a padded camera insert that is 3x4x3 inch I also hold my passport, atm card, and a little money in it.

I used to carry my Canon but now have pretty much given up and use the iphone 10 instead. I took comparable pictures about a year ago and found no real difference when you factor in weight cost etc. Ended up selling most of my DSLR stuff. As much as I love the feel and fun of a good DSLR, I fear that they are going to have to go the way of film. The only thing I find lacking is that a good DSLR with a good telephoto can take some really nice shots that are pretty much unavailable to the phone user. But then I think about the weight and just keep walking. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi again guys!

I was wondering, how do you carry your camera on the camino? I want mine accessible at all times so I don't want to stuff it in my pack and I'm looking for a way to strap outside somehow.

I bought a Peak Desing clip but it feels really unnatural when dangling from the belt or straps. Just letting it hang from the neck is obviously not an option either.

Max
Use a smart phone to save weight!

For my last 2 caminos I was carrying a Fuji XT1 camera in a pouch attach with 2 mountain clips attach in the front of my packsac. This way I do not hold the camera with my neck but I am using the packsac.

I use this approach for 50 days and I was never bother with the camera.

Hope this help!

Attachments

• 20190806_134341.jpg
    20190806_134341.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
I carry a Sony rx100 m6 (love that camera!) in an Osprey camera case attached to the shoulder strap of my Osprey backpack. It was always handy, easily accessible, and used frequently (I took over 2400 pictures on each Camino Frances pilgrimage). See attached picture of me first day in September 2017 between SJPdP and Roncesvalles. Yes, I look a little tired...it was a long day, and very cool.
Buen Camino,
--jim--

Attachments

• DSC03318.jpg
    DSC03318.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 48
I carry a Sony rx100 m6 (love that camera!) in an Osprey camera case attached to the shoulder strap of my Osprey backpack. It was always handy, easily accessible, and used frequently (I took over 2400 pictures on each Camino Frances pilgrimage). See attached picture of me first day in September 2017 between SJPdP and Roncesvalles. Yes, I look a little tired...it was a long day, and very cool.
Buen Camino,
--jim--
Your camera isn't a DSLR one and that was what the OP was interested in. But it is still much better than smartphone cameras in my opinion ;)

For my last 2 caminos I was carrying a Fuji XT1 camera in a pouch attach with 2 mountain clips attach in the front of my packsac. This way I do not hold the camera with my neck but I am using the packsac.

I use this approach for 50 days and I was never bother with the camera.

Hope this help!
I'm using something similar for my Canon very successfuly for last 12 years. It's Lowepro Off Trail 2 which serves as an over the shoulder pack after I finish walking. While walking its weight is distributed between hips and neck. So when I go uphill it's more on my hips and otherwise somehow equally distributed.

And if you don't bring additional lenses you can use two side pockets for water bottles, rolled guide book or just anything else that you want to have in reach. Highly recommend it.

Your camera isn't a DSLR one and that was what the OP was interested in. But it is still much better than smartphone cameras in my opinion ;)
You are right - I realized it just after I posted. I find myself in the same mindset as @marylynn, I do not bring my DSLR & lenses with me on the Camino. And because of the convenience and quality of my Sony rx100, I'm gravitating more and more to my Sony rx100 and less and less to my other DSLR cameras.
--jim--

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a Peak Design strap, which makes the camera weigh almost nothing. Between photo opportunities, I leave it in the backpack.

Hi again guys!

Max
I know that camera choice is very personal and you're looking for a solution for a DSLR. However, I have a mirrorless, a DSLR, point and shoots, GoPros, drones, you name it. Recently got back from CF and after 35 days of hiking, I saw 2 people with DSLR's. 90% of people use their smartphones. I'm a HUGE fan of the higher-end point and shoots which I think are still better than smartphones, they're compact, have great zoom capabilities, and easily attach to your belt or backpack strap with red whips which are incredibly convenient.

I shot 90 percent of my footage on a point and shoot. My advice is leave the DSLR and lenses and bring a high-end P&S and you'll thank me and everyone suggesting the same. With today's editing tools, a P&S in the hands of a good photographer can really give DSLR users a run for their money.

Last edited:
Hi again guys!

Max
My approach was purely homemade. I've attached a photo. I attached two carabiners to my backpack straps. I then snapped the camera strap onto the carabiners. That way, my camera was always accessible but the weight was spread through the backpack straps rather than around my neck or one shoulder. I would definitely do this again, although I'm now using the Domke Gripper camera straps rather than the ThinkTank strap shown in the photo.Camino_2015-31.JPG

I have my DSLR and two lenses in a Lowepro topload zoom 2 carabinered to the waistband of my pack. It is off to the side of my hips and doesn't get in the way. The front pocket is also handy for sunscreen and a few other small essentials.
I know done people don't get it, but I want to record my journey my way and that involves having multiple lenses with me.
So long as you're comfortable with your decision that's what counts.
Buen Camino

Thank you all for your input! Lots of great suggestions here! I think I'll try to patent something like @tomnorth . Since I carry a fairly light M4/3, it should be a breeze :)
I carried a Nikon D800 this way and hardly noticed it. Carrying a M43 camera this way should be a piece of cake. One additional factor to consider is how you will protect your camera from rain. This is where I made a mistake. I brought an Apple Store plastic bag that has a rope to cinch it up. The mistake I made was putting the camera into the bag wet and then cinching the bag closed tight. The condensation inside the sealed bag caused the camera to quit working for ten days. I would have been better off leaving the camera exposed to the elements.

Once in Santiago I put the camera in a bag full of rice. After a day in that bag it came back to life and has been fine ever since. I have picked up a super lightweight plastic camera covering that allows my to shoot while still providing some protection for the camera. It is not sealed.

Hi again guys!

Max
Hi use a large 'bum bag' in which i also carry my credential and passport. i have the bag on my front. It protects the camera and makes it easily accessible. Its a Nikon D750 with a 18-300 zoom lens - so pretty big.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I carried a Nikon D800 this way and hardly noticed it. Carrying a M43 camera this way should be a piece of cake. One additional factor to consider is how you will protect your camera from rain. This is where I made a mistake. I brought an Apple Store plastic bag that has a rope to cinch it up. The mistake I made was putting the camera into the bag wet and then cinching the bag closed tight. The condensation inside the sealed bag caused the camera to quit working for ten days. I would have been better off leaving the camera exposed to the elements.

Once in Santiago I put the camera in a bag full of rice. After a day in that bag it came back to life and has been fine ever since. I have picked up a super lightweight plastic camera covering that allows my to shoot while still providing some protection for the camera. It is not sealed.

I have a D800 and you have ALL my respect for carrying this! I was wondering what lens did you bring with you?

You are right - I realized it just after I posted. I find myself in the same mindset as @marylynn, I do not bring my DSLR & lenses with me on the Camino. And because of the convenience and quality of my Sony rx100, I'm gravitating more and more to my Sony rx100 and less and less to my other DSLR cameras.
--jim--

Though technically you were talking about a different camera, I for one am grateful you did. Just purchased the Sony RX100 VI, and the same exact Osprey camera case as in your photo... to go with my Osprey pack. So, thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Check out the Black Rapid straps. I used one to sling my D500 daily, except in heavy rain. Unless you hand is on the camera, you may miss many useable shots.

Hi,

I have carried my DSLR + lens, along with 2 or 3 other lenses (e.g. a 90 mm macro + a catadioptric 500 mm) with this type of torso bag (in fact a previous version of the same concept). Not on caminos but on week-long hikes.

What I like : immediate access to my equipement, good protection against shocks, convenient to keep costly equipment with me in the evenings...
Cons : arrangement could be sweaty on hot days.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks to everyone who has replied to the question. Yes the question comes up every year but it is great to see changes in how cameras are carried. As to if a DSLR should be taken we all have our own answers depending on our own camera use.

With today's editing tools, a P&S in the hands of a good photographer can really give DSLR users a run for their money.
Sorry but, nope. These two, P&S and DSLR, are two different products and to-date there is no P&S that will give the average DSLR a run for the money. Can you get a nice photo with an iPhone or P&S and post it on Facebook, Instragram, email home to family, blog site, etc? Yes. But at this point in camera sensor and lens technology a P&S photo cannot match the photo you can take with an average DSLR.

Since we know nothing about what the OP uses his photos for it is not feasible to suggest what equipment he should take with him. What is feasible is to help him with suggestions about the question he did ask, how to carry his DSLR. For the OP, I would suggest to continue trying the Peak Design clip. It took me a little while to get used to it as well but after a while it became second nature and the weight did not bother me in the least with my 5lb DSLR/lens combo and the convenience of having it right at hand all the time was fantastic and ensured I didn't miss shots I would have otherwise if I had to continually stop to take my camera out of a bag all the time.

I recently purchased the Peak Design rain cover. It is water proof (neoprene) and works well with their clip when hanging in the downward position. It's also easy enough to slip the cover up and over the back of the camera for a quick shot and then back down in protection mode. So far I've been pretty happy with it.

1565699789795.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the information on the rain cover. Can I ask what camera you are using it with as it gets poor review with mirco4/3 cameras due to being too large?

Last edited:
Thanks for the information on the rain cover. Can I ask what camera you are using it with as it gets poor review with mirco4/3 cameras due to being to large?
For the Camino I have a Canon 5D MK3 with a 16-35mm lens plus a 50mm lens in the bag. Fits very well for this camera but perhaps a little larger than a micro4/3? My body and lens weighs in around 5lbs / 2.3kg

Sorry but, nope. These two, P&S and DSLR, are two different products and to-date there is no P&S that will give the average DSLR a run for the money. Can you get a nice photo with an iPhone or P&S and post it on Facebook, Instragram, email home to family, blog site, etc? Yes. But at this point in camera sensor and lens technology a P&S photo cannot match the photo you can take with an average DSLR.

Since we know nothing about what the OP uses his photos for it is not feasible to suggest what equipment he should take with him. What is feasible is to help him with suggestions about the question he did ask, how to carry his DSLR. For the OP, I would suggest to continue trying the Peak Design clip. It took me a little while to get used to it as well but after a while it became second nature and the weight did not bother me in the least with my 5lb DSLR/lens combo and the convenience of having it right at hand all the time was fantastic and ensured I didn't miss shots I would have otherwise if I had to continually stop to take my camera out of a bag all the time.
You missed a crucial piece of information from my quote, so I'll quote myself: "With today's editing tools, a P&S in the hands of a good photographer can really give DSLR users a run for their money. What I meant by that is... if you can take a great shot with a P&S, and you know your way around photo editing software, then the P&S's end result will give the DSLR's end result some competition. I never said, nor meant to say that a P&S is better/superior/whatever, to a DSLR. If you'd like to continue this conversation, feel free to PM me. Good day.:cool:

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For the Camino I have a Canon 5D MK3 with a 16-35mm lens plus a 50mm lens in the bag. Fits very well for this camera but perhaps a little larger than a micro4/3? My body and lens weighs in around 5lbs / 2.3kg
Thanks for the answer. The rain cover has good reviews with bigger DSLR but I think I will keep with my thought that my camera can take a bit of rain with no problem.

Thanks for the answer. The rain cover has good reviews with bigger DSLR but I think I will keep with my thought that my camera can take a bit of rain with no problem.

The best rain cover for a camera the Ziplock freezer bag! The absolute best value for the $ € £ ¥

if you can take a great shot with a P&S, and you know your way around photo editing software, then the P&S's end result will give the DSLR's end result some competition.
I use both P&S's and DSLR's. The P&S cameras are good for snapshots to share with friends and family.

I use the DSLR for fine art photos. Even after using Photoshop, a P&S image cannot match my DSLR image.

Best rain cover that I have used to date is the Think Tank Hydrophobia, so much so that I have them in 3 sizes for smaller lenses all the way up to super-telephoto . Expensive, but much less so than replacing/repairing $$$$ of camera gear.

I do like the looks of that Peak Design cover for using with the PD clip. Nice price too. And it looks like the small size would work for micro 4/3 according to the website.

My approach was purely homemade. I've attached a photo. I attached two carabiners to my backpack straps. I then snapped the camera strap onto the carabiners. That way, my camera was always accessible but the weight was spread through the backpack straps rather than around my neck or one shoulder. I would definitely do this again, although I'm now using the Domke Gripper camera straps rather than the ThinkTank strap shown in the photo.View attachment 62141
Tomnorth..a very practical and ingenious solution. Ide say this is the way the OP should go!

Cant wait for my journey,

My usual gear on the job is a dslr, 2 L glass lenses,an Ipad to transfer-process-distribute to apropriate site..IG,Smugmug(smug loads and stores full size files.ig-fb-etc nerf the photos..re:they change the files to fit) thats why cell phone camera photos look great as ones taken from a real camera.
Lightroom,snapseed both process quickly and beautifully,
My loadout will probably be 15 20lbs and there will be some killer shots.

Just a little Olympus OMD 10 Mark II + kit lens along with a wide angle converter. Very light and small, Got a clip similar to Peak Design but don't like the way the camera hangs. I opted for 2 carabiners on the belt of the backpack with two keychain rings on the camera body which basically let's it hang on the belt, barely feelable, and makes it quick release for quick photo ops!

Just a little Olympus OMD 10 Mark II + kit lens along with a wide angle converter. Very light and small, Got a clip similar to Peak Design but don't like the way the camera hangs. I opted for 2 carabiners on the belt of the backpack with two keychain rings on the camera body which basically let's it hang on the belt, barely feelable, and makes it quick release for quick photo ops!
Very nice camera spec wise,the 5 axis stabilization will be killer!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wonder why Sebastiao Salgado (I got the chance to be with him in a 45 days expedition in the Amazon) or Steve mc Curry are not using iphone or P&S instead a heavy DSLR or Mirrorless camera. It clearly depends on which kind of photography results are you looking for. Photography is an art, the iphone or P&S think for you, there is no art in that by just pressing a button.

I would use my brownie camera if i could..but it sure is nice making clean and clear poster size prints from my big,heavy,old technology DSLR

Hi again guys!

Max
I have made a lightweight camera bag that I attach to the backpack with S-hooks so the weight isn't on my neck. Have the camera on my front. https://beastankar.blogspot.com/2018/08/ny-kameravaska-till-vandringen.html My backpack have a strap (from the shoulder straps) that I clip together in a loop on hte back of the bag so it doesn't bounce.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wonder why Sebastiao Salgado (I got the chance to be with him in a 45 days expedition in the Amazon) or Steve mc Curry are not using iphone or P&S instead a heavy DSLR or Mirrorless camera. It clearly depends on which kind of photography results are you looking for. Photography is an art, the iphone or P&S think for you, there is no art in that by just pressing a button.
Not denying that photography is an art nor that a good camera has its advantages and can capture a better image. But these days many phone cameras do come with completely manual options, if people want to take advantage of them. As you say, the photography is an art. And the art is in the eye and mind of the person holding the camera, not in the technology of the DSLR or mirrorless camera. An artist can make art by pressing a button on a P&S. The art will be in selecting and framing the shot (or in how the image is manipulated afterwards - much as some pre-digital art happens in the darkroom). I've seen great art in photographs taken with pinhole cameras. The art isn't in the camera; it is in the photographer.

Art is 100% in the eye of the beholder but the saying that the camera doesn't matter at all is not truthful. If the options are a great camera in the hands of the unskilled or the bad camera in the hands the skilled. The bad camera will have nicer photos than the good camera but the a good camera used used the skilled.

The type of camera is not unrelated to the photos that are archived on a trip. Skill in photography is of greater relating to level of photo. However loving your camera and using it a ton leads to higher skill.

The camera taken on camino, should be one the user is both will/able to carry and one that the user is skilled with using.

Giving the amount and easy of bag transport I am a bit shocked that there is not more larger cameras on the pilgrimage.

I know you've already looked at the capture clip, but I would encourage you to give it one more try! I've used mine on a Canon 6D, 5D, and eosM around the world and it has been transformational to my travel photography. Having the camera at hands at all times encourages more photos. I even used it with a huge 70-200 attached while hiking through Iceland. There are secondary attachments that can help distribute the weight of long lenses if needed. Yes, the "shell" is a perfect companion too. It all may feel weird hanging off the front of your pack, but I find that it is easily balanced by the weight of the pack itself. Sure, it can be a little awkward, but totally worth it in my opinion.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Maxcheese

On a recent throughtrek in northern Norway (very mountainous trails), I used this, a Spider Black Widow. I really can't recommend it enough. In my case, I attached it to my pack strap, with backup chest-strap security just in case. Many trekkers I met commented on it. It can also be attached on a hip belt. My DSLR is a D7200 and, with lens, it felt entirely secure always. It's around £40. YouTube link here for info.

Spider Black Widow Holster.jpg

Not denying that photography is an art nor that a good camera has its advantages and can capture a better image. But these days many phone cameras do come with completely manual options, if people want to take advantage of them. As you say, the photography is an art. And the art is in the eye and mind of the person holding the camera, not in the technology of the DSLR or mirrorless camera. An artist can make art by pressing a button on a P&S. The art will be in selecting and framing the shot (or in how the image is manipulated afterwards - much as some pre-digital art happens in the darkroom). I've seen great art in photographs taken with pinhole cameras. The art isn't in the camera; it is in the photographer.
Thank you sir!

A good DSLR camera's value over a point and shoot is not just in that it is a camera, but that it's quality of output is also dependent on the quality and varied capabilities of its lenses. This is why lenses are so expensive c.t. a good basic DSLR. Post processing cannot accomplish all that a quality camera and varied types of quality lenses can.
However, without a good, instinctive photographer's eye, neither a point and shoot nor an SLR / DSLR will magic up jaw dropping results. That's the beauty of photography and of individuality of each and every good photographer.

My two penneth worth. 👍

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If I'd taken my DSLR (Oly E5) with my most used 2 prime lenses with me I had to carry almost 1,6x more weight than without it (in total the camera and lenses weight is 2,75kg). So I decided to use only my Canon G7x on my Camino and was happy with it.
I carried it in a fitting small camerabag pinned on the shoulderstrap of my backpack (360gr. in total)

Since then I changed to the Sony alpha System (a7Rii) and would use a 24-240mm, both will sum up to only 1.25kg.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.