• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question for the Blister Experts...

Joanne P

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June 2018 & June 2023
Hi Everyone

I'm getting my blister kit together, and read somewhere that padded orthopaedic felt is great for making a donut dressing around a blister to keep the pressure off it.

There seems to be a variety of thicknesses available - just wondering what thickness is ideal for this purpose?

Also, is it readily available in villages along the way?

Thanks
Jo

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Farmacias in villages along the camino typically have an excellent assortment of foot care products! Don't get too fussed by the detail. If one layer isn't enough, you can always double it. Every blister I get, I try a different treatment, and I haven't found a generic solution yet. Except time and rest.

Thanks
Jo

Every conceivable treatment for blisters is available at pharmacies in all of the towns. Your best plan is to not get any blisters. You can do this by finding shoes/socks that fit you well and are well broken in. Walk in them a lot before you go, and your risk of blisters declines. If you do feel a blister starting, you change your socks, and put some tape on it until the next town. Some carry compeed as a treatment as well, but others hate this treatment. Others will immediately switch shoes over to their sandals to avoid the blister getting worse. You will get lots of advice as to how to treat blisters, I don't have an opinion beyond avoiding them.

You are right to take this seriously, but its a mistake to carry any stuff that you are not sure you will need. Its all dead weight if you don't use it. My med kit is going to be a meter of skin tape, two bandaids, and four ibuprofen next time. With any luck and a little training, you won't have to worry about this Camino scourge. If you do, the pharmacies along the trail are your best resource!

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
its a mistake to carry any stuff that you are not sure you will need. Its all dead weight if you don't use it.
Well, that's a rather blanket statement that I don't entirely agree with! :) I carry a few first aid and medical items that I probably won't use, since I prefer to have the security and convenience. Who wants to be hunting for a pharmacy on Sunday evening? I can handle the dead weight of 3 antihistamine pills, 2 anti-diarrhea pills, some antiseptic wipes and several extra bandages.

Well, that's a rather blanket statement that I don't entirely agree with! :) I carry a few first aid and medical items that I probably won't use, since I prefer to have the security and convenience. Who wants to be hunting for a pharmacy on Sunday evening? I can handle the dead weight of 3 antihistamine pills, 2 anti-diarrhea pills, some antiseptic wipes and several extra bandages.

And you are right as usual. I took THREE extra memory chips for my camera, and only used one of them. Things that are incredibly light are.......incredibly light, and someone is bound to suggest she take a needle and thread to lance blisters. I had a much more extensive medkit last time I walked. What I was getting at though, was one of my walking companions who had a medkit big enough to perform an appendectomy and post operative care. There were even times I was glad he was carrying all that stuff. But we never Really needed it. Its all available on the trail, if not readily at hand during siesta. How many times did you hear someone say "Gee, I wish I'd brought........." ? You're much more likely to hear "Gee, where can I get....?"

By all means, if antiseptic wipes help you sleep at night, carry some. But you can take this waaaay to far. I stand by the idea that the best treatment is prevention, and a light pack is where this starts.

When I used to suffer from bad blisters, before the skin of my feet toughened to leather, I found that the best treatment, for me anyway, was to ensure constant availability of perfectly clean 100% woollen socks -- they act as a bandage, they cling to the blister like a second skin, are very easily cleaned and washed, and do not create the untoward discomfort of other solutions. The fact that wool is biological also helps, as the blister can breathe through the wool, and my impression was that using woollen socks like this, even if you needed to change them once or twice a day and so needed to be constantly washing and drying them, also helped in the healing process.

You obviously need to be scrupulously careful with this option, to avoid any risk of infection, and therefore wash your socks very thoroughly with good soap (not detergent), twice if necessary, rinsing them multiple times, within 5-10 minutes of removing them (letting the seepage from your blister(s) into the socks dry and harden is not a good idea) -- and no, 100% cotton socks do not provide these benefits, and sports gear hiking ones certainly don't.

Keeping barefoot as much as possible at the albergues and exposing your bare feet outdoors to the wind and sun also seemed, to me anyway, to help accelerate the new skin growth/toughening process.

I've also found that, generally but not always, gritting your teeth and just walking on the blister, assuming the good pair of socks and shoes of a big enough size, hastens the thickening and toughening of your skin, which is the best protection of all -- when you're skin toughens like that, you'll still get the occasional blister, but if they're on the bottom of the foot you'll no longer feel them because the inner layer of skin will be tough enough to prevent pain, or they will be very minor ones on your toes or your upper foot that can mostly be ignored as they're liable to heal overnight once you've pierced them.

What I've seen in pilgrims who fuss overmuch over their blisters and keep on fiddling with them is that it leads to them healing more slowly -- though it's true on the other hand that women have naturally more delicate skin than men, and so are liable to suffer more and longer.

---

Having said all that, blister treatments used by professional sports people and their doctors will clearly be a good solution too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
653C8030-F4C0-4F67-AFBC-7F0BDE656351.JPG
Yes, with respect, I'm thinking much the same as C clearly. Don't worry too much about stocking up on a lot of blister care products because they are readily available in most supermercados and some tiendas. However things like ibuprofen, panadol, antihistamine etc. and of course any prescription meds are only available (in my experience) from farmacias. I played hunt the open farmacia for days on end this last camino. Took several pictures of various farmacias all of which are labelled 'yet another closed farmacia'. The joys of walking during semana santa and also many small towns just don't have farmacias or if there is a farmacia it may only be open on certain days as the pharmacist may serve several towns. Won't be caught out like that again. ;):);):)

Well after 6 years of caminos.. I walked this year blister free. Frequent stops, change of socks, and a good foot cream. Made all the difference for me. So i suggest. More socks! Cream for me any that did not contain a petrol product. AGAIN this worked for ME.

Thanks everyone.
I'm pretty comfortable with my shoe and sock choices - I have trialled them over a couple of week long hikes, including Kokoda (hot, humid environment).
Yes, my aim is to prevent blisters, but I also want to be prepared in case I do get a nasty one.
I don't intend carrying a huge amount of stuff (hence my query re whats available locally).
But I do intend to take a small supply for the first blister, and stock up again locally from there if needed.
I also agree that blister treatments used by professional sports people / doctors are likely to be a good solution, hence my initial question. I have read about using orthopaedic felt to make a donut dressing around a blister, I just couldn't find any info re preferred thickness. Thank you C Clearly - as you mention, if I fail to find an answer I will take a thinner piece and double it if need be.
I'm thinking a piece of felt about 8cm x 8cm - I don't think there will be much weight in that. :)
Thanks again
Jo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well after 6 years of caminos.. I walked this year blister free. Frequent stops, change of socks, and a good foot cream. Made all the difference for me. So i suggest. More socks! Cream for me any that did not contain a petrol product. AGAIN this worked for ME.

Not Vaseline? What cream did you use?

A donut for a blister can be made from mole skin. Cut a hole in the mole skin a bit larger than the blister and stick it on. Then trim as needed around toes or side of foot. You can use a double layer if needed. You can put any oil, Vaseline etc on the blister in the donut hole if you like, you can tape (Medipore) over the mole skin if that helps. I use mole skin and tape, it stays on for 4 to 5 days.

The above is what I do for impact blisters on the bottom of both feet, which I get when it is hot outside and I walk more than 5 miles with a fully loaded pack of 11 lbs. My brother, who is a Board Certified Athletic Trainer with 30 yrs of experience, told me to do this. Works great.

I've discovered Omnifix stretch tape this Camino, and I love this stuff!
It's soft and flexible, stays put, yet also removes easily without leaving a lot of sticky residue.
I've been putting it on the balls of my feet, and wrapping a couple of blister prone toes with it every day. So far zero blisters, and I'm just past León.
It's available at most farmacias on the Camino.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks everyone.
I'm pretty comfortable with my shoe and sock choices - I have trialled them over a couple of week long hikes, including Kokoda (hot, humid environment).
Yes, my aim is to prevent blisters, but I also want to be prepared in case I do get a nasty one.
I don't intend carrying a huge amount of stuff (hence my query re whats available locally).
But I do intend to take a small supply for the first blister, and stock up again locally from there if needed.
I also agree that blister treatments used by professional sports people / doctors are likely to be a good solution, hence my initial question. I have read about using orthopaedic felt to make a donut dressing around a blister, I just couldn't find any info re preferred thickness. Thank you C Clearly - as you mention, if I fail to find an answer I will take a thinner piece and double it if need be.
I'm thinking a piece of felt about 8cm x 8cm - I don't think there will be much weight in that. :)
Thanks again
Jo

I carried an assortment of Compeed, which was helpful for other people on the Camino. I didn't need it on this trip. However, when I did experience a bit of friction on my toe, I put on a piece of micropore tape which worked beautifully and didn't add thickness. All the best for a blister free experience.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have an old army trick for you and on my third CF last year I earned the title from my then Pilgrim Family of "Dr Tony of the Blisters" - it helped a lot of people, is really cheap and works!
What we use is a German tape that is sold readily in Australian pharmacies but is hard to find in those in Spain, it is called "Leukoplast" however beware...there are several different types and only one works for me... that is a white shiny tape in various widths - I use a small 2.5cm x 5 m roll and carry two - one is more than enough for me for 40-50 days and the other is for my "Family". Don not use the pink woven tape - the white smooth one only.
The tape is waterproof, once it goes on, it can stay on, providing it doesn't get ridges or rucked up, it is smooth and acts as a skin layer.
Immediately you think you have a problem you must stop - hot spots, new unbroken blisters and burst or de-roofed blisters - stop, dry the feet and clean the area.
Stop! - the sooner the better and fix them.
If you have blisters that have formed use a sharp pair of scissors and cut a small hole - this will allow the blister to drain but also keeps allowing it to drain as it often will refill. Let the liquid come out - a clean tissue gentle pressed to it helps.
Do not use the myth of the needle and cotton left in - my wife is a nurse and describes it as a "highway for infection"
!
You can easily hand tear the Leukoplast tape and get it to different widths and even to allow it to go between toes and around awkward shapes.
Once you have the area clean and dried, carefully put the tape on and smooth it down (larger than the hot spot or blister) - even straight over the new skin of a de-roofed blister - remember, you are NOT going to take it off for a while, so don't be squeamish!
Then carefully roll your sock back up over it - ensure it stays stuck now and doesn't curl at the edges or stick to the sock - that will only form a lump that will create more blisters.
If it is not sticking well, gently take it off and dry and clean again and do it again.
Now.....
Leave it in place for days or weeks....! you pat it dry after a shower and it acts like a skin and protects the new skin that is growing...after some time it will come off in some places and you will know when it is time to remove it.
During that time if a loose bit develops, use scissors and cut the tape off that it no longer sticking.
You can put more tape over it if something develops on the side of it but don't make it too thick.
This works so well, I even use it when I don't have a blister but know I might develop one - to protect.
We don't like Compede (and it's far more costly) but remember they only suggest you use that if the blister has not de-roofed.
This also works in all other places - on the hands and fingers if pole straps are chafing, on the back or shoulders at points that rub etc - I've never used it in the groin however and would advise against that - Mitchum style deoderent or ezy-glide seems to work well there!
Suggest you just try it - you have nothing to lose....buyer beware of course and if it works for you, spread the word and help others.
Oh, naturally get the shoes fitting well (1/2 to 1 size bigger as your feet will swell) and use hood clean socks. Some swear by "Vaseline" on the feet every day but that's a little messy for me..
Buen Camino
Tony

I've discovered Omnifix stretch tape this Camino, and I love this stuff!
It's sift and flexible, stays put, yet also removes easily without leaving a lot of sticky residue.
I've been putting it on the balls of my feet, and wrapping a couple of blister prone toes with it every day. So far zero blisters, and I'm just past León.
It's available at most farmacias on the Camino.
I have had similar good outcomes from prophylactic taping of my blister prone toes. I have used a similar product (Fixomul) and a variety of strapping tapes (see @Blaster's earlier post) but currently use a medical paper based tape, and reapply it every day or so. I still carry Fixomul should I need it for immediate medical care. In response to the question that started this, I used to carry a small (5 cm x 5 cm or thereabouts) patch of neoprene about 5 mm thick. I cut this from an old beer stubby holder. After several trips where I had successfully avoided blistering on my feet, I took it out of my medical kit and no longer carry it.

Thanks everyone.
Thanks again
Jo

In the US, they sell a product called Molefoam made by Dr. Scholl's and I think that's what you are talking about. I don't know whether it is available in Spain, maybe someone will. I always bring a sheet with me and usually find that it comes in handy. I agree that it's silly to carry something in anticipation of every possible injury, but I would consider this part of a basic kit, along with omnifix tape, gauze pads, antibacterial cream and something like betadine.

Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A donut for a blister can be made from mole skin. Cut a hole in the mole skin a bit larger than the blister and stick it on. Then trim as needed around toes or side of foot. You can use a double layer if needed. You can put any oil, Vaseline etc on the blister in the donut hole if you like, you can tape (Medipore) over the mole skin if that helps. I use mole skin and tape, it stays on for 4 to 5 days.

The above is what I do for impact blisters on the bottom of both feet, which I get when it is hot outside and I walk more than 5 miles with a fully loaded pack of 11 lbs. My brother, who is a Board Certified Athletic Trainer with 30 yrs of experience, told me to do this. Works great.
Great, thank you.

I have an old army trick for you and on my third CF last year I earned the title from my then Pilgrim Family of "Dr Tony of the Blisters" - it helped a lot of people, is really cheap and works!
What we use is a German tape that is sold readily in Australian pharmacies but is hard to find in those in Spain, it is called "Leukoplast" however beware...there are several different types and only one works for me... that is a white shiny tape in various widths - I use a small 2.5cm x 5 m roll and carry two - one is more than enough for me for 40-50 days and the other is for my "Family". Don not use the pink woven tape - the white smooth one only.
The tape is waterproof, once it goes on, it can stay on, providing it doesn't get ridges or rucked up, it is smooth and acts as a skin layer.
Immediately you think you have a problem you must stop - hot spots, new unbroken blisters and burst or de-roofed blisters - stop, dry the feet and clean the area.
Stop! - the sooner the better and fix them.
If you have blisters that have formed use a sharp pair of scissors and cut a small hole - this will allow the blister to drain but also keeps allowing it to drain as it often will refill. Let the liquid come out - a clean tissue gentle pressed to it helps.
Do not use the myth of the needle and cotton left in - my wife is a nurse and describes it as a "highway for infection"!
You can easily hand tear the Leukoplast tape and get it to different widths and even to allow it to go between toes and around awkward shapes.
Once you have the area clean and dried, carefully put the tape on and smooth it down (larger than the hot spot or blister) - even straight over the new skin of a de-roofed blister - remember, you are NOT going to take it off for a while, so don't be squeamish!
Then carefully roll your sock back up over it - ensure it stays stuck now and doesn't curl at the edges or stick to the sock - that will only form a lump that will create more blisters.
If it is not sticking well, gently take it off and dry and clean again and do it again.
Now.....
Leave it in place for days or weeks....! you pat it dry after a shower and it acts like a skin and protects the new skin that is growing...after some time it will come off in some places and you will know when it is time to remove it.
During that time if a loose bit develops, use scissors and cut the tape off that it no longer sticking.
You can put more tape over it if something develops on the side of it but don't make it too thick.
This works so well, I even use it when I don't have a blister but know I might develop one - to protect.
We don't like Compede (and it's far more costly) but remember they only suggest you use that if the blister has not de-roofed.
This also works in all other places - on the hands and fingers if pole straps are chafing, on the back or shoulders at points that rub etc - I've never used it in the groin however and would advise against that - Mitchum style deoderent or ezy-glide seems to work well there!
Suggest you just try it - you have nothing to lose....buyer beware of course and if it works for you, spread the word and help others.
Oh, naturally get the shoes fitting well (1/2 to 1 size bigger as your feet will swell) and use hood clean socks. Some swear by "Vaseline" on the feet every day but that's a little messy for me..
Buen Camino
Tony
Hi Tony, as a fellow Aussie, I can attest to having used Leukoplast tapes in my family for decades.

I totally concur with your blister treatment and would add just a couple of points that were pertinent to me, as a Camino newbie, in regard to blisters, which I walked with, in pain for three weeks. Once you make a mistake and have them, there is no going back so of course prevention is key.
I walked in my hiking shoes for 4 months before my Camino in training. I thought I was 'blister proof'.
I did not take into account:

Although I had shoes that were 1 size bigger, I could not believe what one day walking ( 2nd day on Via de la Plata) could make happen to my Aussie friendly shoes with nice pointed toes for ladies to walk in to look better, of course my feet had swollen on the plane etc.

After walking 27 kms in unprecedented heat early 30's in April, up hills and down dales, in poor choice of socks ( it was hot why would I wear wool?) walking faster than my preferred speed, full pack.....unable to stop and interrupt others' pace ( my companions had already walker 500km from Seville).....etc I got terrible blisters and lost many of my toenails.

I would add to your excellent treatise that you need to add Betadine ( allowed to dry naturally after application before plaster) slathered everywhere especially if the skin is broken to avoid infection

AND only wool socks

Women; Buy men's shoes as they actually give you a realistic toe box. Why do manufactures thin that women either have fewer toes than men, or that they slope inwards?

My shoes had cost AUD$250 and after this disaster, I used my sandals whilst my blisters healed,( with 'toe socks in sleet etc) on the Camino and finally bought a pair of men's 30 euro walking shoes in Decathalon in Ourense which I am still wearing on my walks locally.

I still can't wear my ladies 'fashion shoes'.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Do not use the myth of the needle and cotton left in - my wife is a nurse and describes it as a "highway for infection"!

I really do wish that far more people than presently understood this.

Women; Buy men's shoes as they actually give you a realistic toe box. Why do manufactures thin that women either have fewer toes than men, or that they slope inwards?

But some people's toes do in fact slope inwards.

There are actually three different "types" of feet, each with its own distinctive shape -- "square" where the toes all reach more or less the same length ; "v-shaped" where the second toe is more prominent than the big toe so that the shape tapers to each side ; and "slanted" where there is incremental decrease in size from the big toe to the little one.

Use footwear appropriate to the shape of your own feet, rather than supposing that one shape of footwear will fit all.

I have had similar good outcomes from prophylactic taping of my blister prone toes. I have used a similar product (Fixomul) and a variety of strapping tapes (see @Blaster's earlier post) but currently use a medical paper based tape, and reapply it every day or so. I still carry Fixomul should I need it for immediate medical care. In response to the question that started this, I used to carry a small (5 cm x 5 cm or thereabouts) patch of neoprene about 5 mm thick. I cut this from an old beer stubby holder. After several trips where I had successfully avoided blistering on my feet, I took it out of my medical kit and no longer carry it.
Great alternative Doug - thank you

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In the US, they sell a product called Molefoam made by Dr. Scholl's and I think that's what you are talking about. I don't know whether it is available in Spain, maybe someone will. I always bring a sheet with me and usually find that it comes in handy. I agree that it's silly to carry something in anticipation of every possible injury, but I would consider this part of a basic kit, along with omnifix tape, gauze pads, antibacterial cream and something like betadine.

Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks Peregrina2000, I will check it out as another alternative

View attachment 35240

I played hunt the open farmacia for days on end this last camino. Took several pictures of various farmacias all of which are labelled 'yet another closed farmacia'. The joys of walking during semana santa and also many small towns just don't have farmacias or if there is a farmacia it may only be open on certain days as the pharmacist may serve several towns. Won't be caught out like that again. ;):);):)

I have always wondered what the ratio of farmacias to Spaniards is as they seem to be the most common type of business, after the local waterhole. I can see why my relatives in Mexico are hypochondriacs: inherited from their Spanish parents and grand-parents. Medical issues, Mexicans' favourite topic of conversation. :rolleyes:

Here are the stats for 2014: http://www.pmfarma.es/estadisticas/download.php?id=342, 1 farmacia per 2140 people.

and for Canada, 1 per 3800 or so.

http://www.iedm.org/files/chapt2-cahier0115_en.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
But some people's toes do in fact slope inwards.

There are actually three different "types" of feet, each with its own distinctive shape -- "square" where the toes all reach more or less the same length ; "v-shaped" where the second toe is more prominent than the big toe so that the shape tapers to each side ; and "slanted" where there is incremental decrease in size from the big toe to the little one.

Use footwear appropriate to the shape of your own feet, rather than supposing that one shape of footwear will fit all.
Mine are slanted. Manufacturers still make women's shoes more pointed for some reason.

... it is called "Leukoplast" however beware...there are several different types and only one works for me... that is a white shiny tape in various widths...

Thanks for the tipp. I asked me which tape I should buy for taping... so I will buy the white Leukoplast.

Blister prevention ideas:
e.g. https://www.verywell.com/blisters-begone-seven-strategies-to-prevent-blisters-3432491
or
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/blister-prevention-and-foot-care.7890/

Last edited:
Hi Everyone

I'm getting my blister kit together, and read somewhere that padded orthopaedic felt is great for making a donut dressing around a blister to keep the pressure off it.

There seems to be a variety of thicknesses available - just wondering what thickness is ideal for this purpose?

Thanks
Jo
The answer is not to get blisters. I did 830ks last year without a blister.
Boots one size larger than your normal size, each morning a strip of surgical tape across the ball of your foot and then apply Aquaphora cream. Very thin liner socks and then walking socks. Only takes five minutes each morning and worked brilliantly.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I use to blister quite bad but by wearing shoes that are 1 size too big has totally fixed that. I don't even carry anything for blisters now.

What did use to work was Compeed but only if you put it on early enough e.g. the hotspot phase! Putting Compeed on a blister does not work, you are better off not having anything on to toughen up the skin.

What is “a good foot cream?” Recommendations.

Hi Everyone

Thanks
Jo
My simple solution was to walk 47 minutes. Take off my shoes. Check for hot spots. If socks damp then change. Final step was to apply Vaseline or Arnica. I was very dedicated to stopping for a drink at the 47 and checking. If the hot spot showed up then we applied Comped (found at any pharmacy) Also in doing my training prior to the trip I did the same approach

What is “a good foot cream?” Recommendations.
Vaseline, Vicks Vapor Rub, Akieine makes many good ones, a German one calle horse hair or tail or something, Bag Balm, Gehwool. t really is not an exact science.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Everyone

Thanks
Jo
Hi, why not skip the kit and buy a few pairs of these? :https://1000mile.co.uk/walking/1000-mile-approach-sock-1998 Have walked more then 6000 km and not a single blister

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I arrived in Santiago today and have been nursing an awful blister a cm or so above my heel since Roncesvalles. It was situated on the Achilles' tendon where the skin is thick. It was over an inch in diameter with the roof badly torn before I caught it. Not good.

Lessons learned:

1. At the first sign of any pain in the foot stop and investigate. Do not walk on thinking it might resolve or you'll wait til the next cafe to take the boots off. Fix it when it's just a red hot spot -- before it gets to the blister stage. Once it's a blister you have a new set of issues to deal with. Lots of advice here as to how to do it.

2. While others have had better experiences, I was not able to find everything I needed in local pharmacies when I needed it. Most are well stocked and the staff is helpful, but I walked for several days with a lousy tape that wouldn't stick to itself let alone me. Some pharmacies stock great bandage materials others have a less extensive inventory and you need to improvise. Things I found most useful for a blister kit: a really good tape, non-stick pads you can cut to fit, moleskin or equivalent, Compeed for covering skin before (never after) a blister has formed, anti-septic wipes, anti-septic ointment (if it has pain relief built-in so much the better), scissors, scalpel blades with a sharp pointy tip (I only had syringe needles and they aren't as good for opening a blister to drain). I also had an assortment of bandaids.

3. If you get a bad blister you will burn through your supplies very quickly. I wish I had brought more NexCare tape - very sticky, stretchy and waterproof. A bad blister may need re-dressing several times a day to prevent infection. I did one dressing in the morning, one after the shower for walking about town, and maybe a light cover for sleeping to let the surrounding healthy skin dry out. It goes without saying, you have got to keep a wound clean. People who don't take care of their injured feet end up in the hospital and often drop out.

4. There may be times when you can switch from boots to sandals, but there are times and places where walking in sandals is asking for trouble - example, the decent from the Cruz de Ferro. Or try walking in sandals if it's raining. Wet feet = blistered feet. Good boots are critical.

5. Every 2-3 hours change your socks. One day I discovered a blister I never felt forming. Getting the socks off let's you inspect your bandages and preventative patches you may have applied. Let your feet dry out for 20-30 minutes and put on a dry pair of socks. Pin the ones you took off to the back of your pack. They will dry out and can be used again later in the day.

As others have said, preventing blisters is key. Once you have them, take care of them. Keep them clean and protected as best you can. You can walk on with well cared for blisters. Infection will really slow you down or knock you out.

To conclude, if you have a medically trained friend at home consider sending photos of your wounds to them via text or email and seek their advice on how to treat/bandage them. My daughter is a vet and her sage advice kept this old dog walking.

Farmacias in villages along the camino typically have an excellent assortment of foot care products! Don't get too fussed by the detail. If one layer isn't enough, you can always double it. Every blister I get, I try a different treatment, and I haven't found a generic solution yet. Except time and rest.
I totally agree with this . I got a couple of painful blisters . I followed different peoples experience in healing theirs in the end I learnt it is an individual thing . What some swear by might not work for others . It was part of my lessons on the Camino .

I do believe if I had rubbed my feet with Vaseline night and day I would not have got the blisters . I certainly got none after I started doing it .
Also the Vaseline was at the pharmacy not in the supermarket as at home.
It is a very beautiful soft Vaseline there . I enjoyed making love to my feet with it each night while I thanked them for the days effort :rolleyes:...

Strangely ;) I enjoyed my blisters . They kept me very firmly in the now . I had no chance of think about all the sh.t my head was carrying around :cool:

Lastly I was very cocky fir the first two weeks of getting no blisters then I got them one hot sunny day .... that was another lesson :D

My opinion
Prevention:
Take plenty of socks
Change socks through the day
Use Vaseline ... some say yes , some say no
Rest , don't gallop
Show total respect and heed your feet otherwise could end up with infection which is a totally different matter .

Treatment :
It's an individual thing
What worked for me was drain them with sterile needle each night ; used nonstick dressing ; wore sandles if necessary to keep boot off it ; walked shorter days until feet happy

Ultreia

I arrived in Santiago today and have been nursing an awful blister a cm or so above my heel since Roncesvalles. It was situated on the Achilles' tendon where the skin is thick. It was over an inch in diameter with the roof badly torn before I caught it. Not good.

Lessons learned:

1. At the first sign of any pain in the foot stop and investigate. Do not walk on thinking it might resolve or you'll wait til the next cafe to take the boots off. Fix it when it's just a red hot spot -- before it gets to the blister stage. Once it's a blister you have a new set of issues to deal with. Lots of advice here as to how to do it.

2. While others have had better experiences, I was not able to find everything I needed in local pharmacies when I needed it. Most are well stocked and the staff is helpful, but I walked for several days with a lousy tape that wouldn't stick to itself let alone me. Some pharmacies stock great bandage materials others have a less extensive inventory and you need to improvise. Things I found most useful for a blister kit: a really good tape, non-stick pads you can cut to fit, moleskin or equivalent, Compeed for covering skin before (never after) a blister has formed, anti-septic wipes, anti-septic ointment (if it has pain relief built-in so much the better), scissors, scalpel blades with a sharp pointy tip (I only had syringe needles and they aren't as good for opening a blister to drain). I also had an assortment of bandaids.

3. If you get a bad blister you will burn through your supplies very quickly. I wish I had brought more NexCare tape - very sticky, stretchy and waterproof. A bad blister may need re-dressing several times a day to prevent infection. I did one dressing in the morning, one after the shower for walking about town, and maybe a light cover for sleeping to let the surrounding healthy skin dry out. It goes without saying, you have got to keep a wound clean. People who don't take care of their injured feet end up in the hospital and often drop out.

4. There may be times when you can switch from boots to sandals, but there are times and places where walking in sandals is asking for trouble - example, the decent from the Cruz de Ferro. Or try walking in sandals if it's raining. Wet feet = blistered feet. Good boots are critical.

5. Every 2-3 hours change your socks. One day I discovered a blister I never felt forming. Getting the socks off let's you inspect your bandages and preventative patches you may have applied. Let your feet dry out for 20-30 minutes and put on a dry pair of socks. Pin the ones you took off to the back of your pack. They will dry out and can be used again later in the day.

As others have said, preventing blisters is key. Once you have them, take care of them. Keep them clean and protected as best you can. You can walk on with well cared for blisters. Infection will really slow you down or knock you out.

To conclude, if you have a medically trained friend at home consider sending photos of your wounds to them via text or email and seek their advice on how to treat/bandage them. My daughter is a vet and her sage advice kept this old dog walking.

Well said !
Well done for making it to Santiago !
I am sure you agree the blisters are a valuable lesson in more way than one .

Ultreia

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As I stated elsewhere I haven't gotten blisters since switching to trail runners for hiking and backpacking. On the other hand I've never walked 12 miles a day for 5-6 weeks as required for the El Camino, so blisters are not beyond the realm of possibility for me on the Camino and I plan to carry a blister kit. One thing I would never do is treat a blister with needle and thread--how mid-evil can you get? This is the shoe I currently wear and plan to use on the Frances route this October. It has a thick Hoka style sole that works for me equally well on pavement and dirt trails. For some reason Hokas don't work for me. I always up-size 1/2 to 1 full size. Don't buy this shoe because it works for me, you must try out a shoe first to see if it will work for you. https://www.rei.com/product/110319/vasque-trailbender-trail-running-shoes-mens

I followed different peoples experience in healing theirs in the end I learnt it is an individual thing . What some swear by might not work for others . It was part of my lessons on the Camino .

An excellent reminder, thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As I stated elsewhere I haven't gotten blisters since switching to trail runners for hiking and backpacking. On the other hand I've never walked 12 miles a day for 5-6 weeks as required for the El Camino, so blisters are not beyond the realm of possibility for me on the Camino and I plan to carry a blister kit. One thing I would never do is treat a blister with needle and thread--how mid-evil can you get? This is the shoe I currently wear and plan to use on the Frances route this October. It has a thick Hoka style sole that works for me equally well on pavement and dirt trails. For some reason Hokas don't work for me. I always up-size 1/2 to 1 full size. Don't buy this shoe because it works for me, you must try out a shoe first to see if it will work for you. https://www.rei.com/product/110319/vasque-trailbender-trail-running-shoes-mens
...and the scary thing is that what worked for me for 6 months at home in training sized bigger worn in etc gave me blisters the first time they were challenged with feet swollen from flying, excessive heat on the VDLP an extra long day without adequate breaks (I was with a group of fitter people) and carrying full pack with water and second day socks.
Whilst not using a needle and thread method, I found it essential to drain the blisters twice a day for comfort (ha! what is that once you have blisters?) and walking at all, and I carried Betadine and drowned the needle hole each time to prevent infection and soon changed to larger excision for fluid with a sterile blade. Oh the humanity! :eek:

Thank God for my Teva sandals and toe socks!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.