• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question for the experts (about lodging in SJPP)!

Time of past OR future Camino
July-August 2023 Camino Frances
We have booked our flight into Paris for our camino starting July 2023! We have also booked the first few nights lodging in Roncesvalles, Zubiri and Pamplona. Where we are having trouble is with St. Jean. There are a few properties we have been trying to contact to reserve a few days before we start out but we are getting no responses! Is it too early to book this far in advance? We have tried through the contact pages on their websites and through email. We haven't set up international calling on our phones yet but maybe that is the best way to contact them. I admit to being a planner and we do want to pamper ourselves abit before we start walking so the places we are looking at have all gotten great reviews. What am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance for any advice! We are so excited to do our first camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is entirely possible that you are too early. Based on this year’s experience you are doing the right thing in booking ahead - certainly as far as Pamplona.

If there’s a mobile number listed you could try WhatsApp; but I would have thought a working email address would get a response.

You might look at a couple on Booking.com and see if they show availability so far out; which I honestly doubt. In these inflationary and uncertain times I would understand why anyone would not want to set a room-rate ten months away.

(I’m not an expert; I am however - by training - an economist. If you’re from the US now might not be the worst time ever to buy a few euros)

Agree with @henrythedog
Almost a year ahead, IMHO, is way too early
IIRC correctly I had to wait until either mid-December 21 or early January 22 for my May 22 reservation availability at Beilari
I would say wait at least until December and try again
Good luck and Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Also, July is not as busy in SJPDP. It is busier later in the Camino at that point. I would wait a bit. I don't think you will have difficulty finding a booking during this time. Try not to arrive on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday as that is a popular time to begin a wave of pilgrims.

Hello! We are about 4 days into our Camino and we stayed in SJPP for 2 nights for the same reasons! We stayed at the Hotel Central. So nice with a very nice patio in front. We loved it!

Info:
HOTEL CENTRAL-H***
SAINT JEAN PIED DE PORT
Address: 1, Place Charles de Gaulle
Telephone: 0033 559 370 022/638 362 467
Description: The Central Hotel is a charming and comfortable accommodation in a total of 13 rooms with bath, TV, telephone and WIFI. The hotel also has a bar, lounge, internet access, terrace and a restaurant where you can taste local produce.
Directions:The accommodation is located in Charles de Gaulle square, next to Nive River, close to Hôtel les Pyrénées. It ́s outside the old city walls, on the right side of the Camino Francés/St. James ́ Way.

Buen Camino!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just asked the folks at Beilari when we should send reservation requests for spring 2023, and they told me to wait until Dec. Things are slower then and they will have time to answer you.

We have booked our flight into Paris for our camino starting July 2023! We have also booked the first few nights lodging in Roncesvalles, Zubiri and Pamplona. Where we are having trouble is with St. Jean. There are a few properties we have been trying to contact to reserve a few days before we start out but we are getting no responses! Is it too early to book this far in advance? We have tried through the contact pages on their websites and through email. We haven't set up international calling on our phones yet but maybe that is the best way to contact them. I admit to being a planner and we do want to pamper ourselves abit before we start walking so the places we are looking at have all gotten great reviews. What am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance for any advice! We are so excited to do our first camino!
hmm, going to booking.com. I see alt least 5 posibillities to book a room for middle of July 23

I just asked the folks at Beilari when we should send reservation requests for spring 2023, and they told me to wait until Dec. Things are slower then and they will have time to answer you.
One of the all time best albergues!
There are a few properties we have been trying to contact to reserve a few days before we start out but we are getting no responses! Is it too early to book this far in advance?
You are not doing anything wrong. You are just new at this. I stayed only once in Beilai on my second Camino. It is especially great for a new pilgrim because there will be lots of support and fun and food to relieve your anxieties and calm your excitement even just a little.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Paula P
This was post by Joseph at Belari. It maybe explains why albergues have been MIA in responding to pilgrims. My wife and I have conversations with multiple pilgrims this past June and July, on how they had a hard time finding beds in SJPdP. They said the Pilgrims office workers called local family members to find beds for them and others. They also said that the pilgrims office had numerous people sleeping on the floor in the pilgrims office. Now mind you there was a 140 kilometer adventure race happening.

Attachments

• 12881.jpeg
    12881.jpeg
    284.8 KB · Views: 54
Before you start is the time to harden yourself, not pamper. Save the pampering yourself for later on, when you'll appreciate it all the more. Sliding into a hot bath in Leon and it burning your 'tush'. Why not make a start the day you arrive in St Jean' and go on to Honto. The Albergue there is excellent and they serve a most excellent group evening meal where you can get to meet other pilgrims. https://www.caminosleeps.com/honto.html

I am a long time volunteer at Beilari and know that Joseph there does not begin making reservations for the new season usually in January. so you are fine! Don’t miss the Beilari experience. It is truly unique. there is also a facebook page!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had reached out to places to stay in St. Jean for late summer 2023 as well and received replies. They said they don't take reservations that far in advance. They asked me to contact them again in April 2023.

Bookings.com has ample accommodation available for July 2023.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you all for your replies! I guess the concensus is that I am just too early! I will wait a few months and try again. I appreciate all your input! :)

Thanks for the Beilari recommendation! The testimonials look good, and I've bookmarked it for making a later reservation.

I was going to ask "Is it walking distance from the train station?", before realizing what a dumb question that is 🤣. I will be about to begin an 800km walk, and I'm wondering if the gite is "walking distance" from the train station... Most of Spain will be within walking distance! Clearly I'm not yet a pilgrim.

Don't stress too much. Although it is recommended because SJPDP is a small town and can be crowded with pilgrims, I've never booked accommodation there. A combination of not being sure of my arrival date and optimism (and possibly stupidity). I've never been without a bed. A couple of times in rather weird places, but acceptable. The Pilgrims Office is very helpful. It is at 39 Rue de la Citadelle - up the hill in the old part of the town. It is also where you get information on the weather conditions on the Napoleon and can pick up a credentiale.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was going to ask "Is it walking distance from the train station?", before realizing what a dumb question that is 🤣. I will be about to begin an 800km walk, and I'm wondering if the gite is "walking distance" from the train station...
It's a very short walk. Less than a kilometer. 😊

Thanks for the Beilari recommendation! The testimonials look good, and I've bookmarked it for making a later reservation.

I was going to ask "Is it walking distance from the train station?", before realizing what a dumb question that is 🤣. I will be about to begin an 800km walk, and I'm wondering if the gite is "walking distance" from the train station... Most of Spain will be within walking distance! Clearly I'm not yet a pilgrim.
As you note, everything is within walking distance! Beilari is right across from the pilgrim office, too. They don't open until mid afternoon though so if you can, time your arrival so that you can checkin and leave your pack. We didn't and had to carry it around town all day exploring.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back