• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gradient from SJPP to Roncesvalles

Paul Wilson

Time of past OR future Camino
Looking for advice from those that have walked in Scotland. I’m looking at the first day SJPdP to Roncesvalles and was wondering how it would compare to walks or Munro’s from what I can see it appears similar to Ben Nevis in height but at an easier gradient, would that be a fair summation? making it more of a long hill walk rather than a stiff mountain climb. tia 👍

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I first read the original post as a request to find a mountain in Scotland with a similar gradient that could be used to train on. That would have made my first post useful. If the intent though was to find how how difficult it would be to walk the Route Napoleon then watch this video. It is a speeded up version of the walk. Warning: this walk was done by a very experienced mountain hiker. Mere mortals may need some rest stops (I took the valley way myself).

Youtube video id: kLMyWudsSXQ

Hello, My wife & I both from Scotland and walked over the Pyrenees last year from SJPdP to Roncesvalles. It’s just a big long slog, nothing technical.
Thanks that’s what I was looking for I’ve done many walks around Scotland and I was trying to gauge how to get ready for the first day out so this is good news cheers 👍

I first read the original post as a request to find a mountain in Scotland with a similar gradient that could be used to train on. That would have made my first post useful. If the intent though was to find how how difficult it would be to walk the Route Napoleon then watch this video. It is a speeded up version of the walk. Warning: this walk was done by a very experienced mountain hiker. Mere mortals may need some rest stops (I took the valley way myself).

Youtube video id: kLMyWudsSXQ
Rick I must admit I use these videos almost obsessively during covid I do a daily session on my exercise bike at home and normally stick one of these on my iPad while I’m doing it they are just the right length (45mins approx) and save you from getting bored in the bike 👍

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Another Scot here Paul. Think Ben Lomond twice. A bit of a thigh burner up to Orisson if you're carrying too much. After that an uncomprising slog up for a while then a knee-jarring thigh burner down again into Roncesvalles.

By the way, you may like many others find days 2&3 a wee bit more difficult than you would normally expect, maybe due I think to the downhill stretch into Roncesvalles in n tired legs.

Buen(pleasantly surprised1st day) Camino

Last edited:
Thanks John that gives me a bit of context to the day 👍Being from Paisley I must admit Ben Lomond is one of my favourite walks, probably because its so close to home and was my daughters first Munro when she was 9 although I did bribe her with the promise of chocolate cake in the pub at the end 🤣 I also once met a Canadian woman on the West Highland Way who had don 4 caminos and said her two days walking along the side of Loch Lomond were far harder than any section of the camino so as I said earlier was trying to compare the two environments so based on what I’m reading it should be as enjoyable as I have hoped 👍

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Whilst we are different, I was 71 (although fairly fit) when I walked this stage. For me I didn't find it that difficult as there is no map reading, good underfoot, new companions to meet/chat with and a stop with food and drink to look forward to. For that reason I found it physically easier than walking many of the uphill trails/fells/mountains in Scotland or the Lake District and certainly easier than the South West Coast Path. My only issue was that I had too many clothes on, my waterproof came off first and then my fleece so that I was just in shorts and "T" shirt at the end. Just take small steps, stop to admire the view "as required"! Not forgetting to stop at Refuge Orisson for your first tortilla de patatas.

Paul,
I cannot comment on the Napolean route as I took the Valcarlos Route.
This was a slog and I was about done once I reached the top. I can say in comparison to the West Highland Way that the comments you quote by the pilgrim ref the latter stage of Loch Lomand as it negociates boulders and short scrambles are correct. I personally reckon that the climb's out of Kingshouse and the climb out of Kinlochleven are far in excess of what you can expect on the Valcarlos Route at least. Hope that provides some additional perspective.
Don

Paul,
I cannot comment on the Napolean route as I took the Valcarlos Route.
This was a slog and I was about done once I reached the top. I can say in comparison to the West Highland Way that the comments you quote by the pilgrim ref the latter stage of Loch Lomand as it negociates boulders and short scrambles are correct. I personally reckon that the climb's out of Kingshouse and the climb out of Kinlochleven are far in excess of what you can expect on the Valcarlos Route at least. Hope that provides some additional perspective.
Don
Well it looks like my years of walking in Scotland have paid additional dividends even though there were times in the traditional Scots weather I wondered why I was doing it 🤣 although when I was walking from Valenca on the Portuguese last year I did think it felt a bit too relaxed so can’t wait to get started next May. Thanks for the help

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My mistake. It’s 1000 ft on - but you are correct it spends on the 1000 ft.

if only they could organise an Orison halfway up it would be perfect.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My mistake. It’s 1000 ft on - but you are correct it spends on the 1000 ft.

if only they could organise an Orison halfway up it would be perfect.
Funny you should mention facilities, I read a trip advisor review recently that complained Ben Nevis was too high, boring, too cloudy so no view and had no restaurant or toilets at the top 🤦🏼‍♂️ Some people just don’t get it 🤣🤣

I'm Scottish and brought up on the hills. I didn't know much about the Francis before going but I had heard about the really steep climb over the Pyrenees. I was expecting a rocky scramble, with maybe a nice scree run down the other side. I don't remember much about the climb, but I do remember looking down from the col and wondering where the Pyrenees were.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Looking for advice from those that have walked in Scotland

I come from the Scotland of the south, and hope my experiences might assist.

As I arrived at Saint-Jean I had been just over three weeks on the way from Le Puy-en-Velay with a similar elevation gain on the first day, but at a more gentler rate of climb. So I was match fit for the pull up to Orisson, and others a bit later.

If you are near Edinburgh, my father would have recommended regular walks up the Pentlands, or even Arthur's Seat. Do those trips often enough with all your gear will get you match fit as well. And your legs will get used to the climbing and descending (just as many hills to go down in Spain).

Being match fit is essential but wait, there is more.

After 3 plus weeks I had become acclimatised. The early May morning of leaving Saint-Jean I dressed for the late morning weather. For me that was a short sleeved merino top, light weight kilt, long hose, gloves as my fingers get cold very quickly and a floppy hat pulled down over my ears. But my body warms up quite quickly. When underway I noticed many walkers stopping, take off an outer layer, open their pack and put it away: I am sure they got a bit of a chill in doing this.

A trick I had learnt in my four years of training before I could leave home, was this: as the road steepened I would shorten my step and keep the same rate. On the flat my step might be, say, 700 mm (2 and bit feet). On a really steep section I would reduce my step to about 1/4 of that, say 150 mm (6 inches, or about half a foot length - as the right foot landed the heel would still be well behind the toes of the left foot). I would keep the same rate of foot fall and I would consciously breathe in on one footfall and out on the other.

With those two techniques (plus the fitness) and with three stops - 3 minutes at Orisson to ask about the weather, 30 seconds at Last Sello (bitter wind and no Sun) and loo stop on the descent - I noticed only one person passed me when I was walking.

On day two I reached the hostel at Zalbadika. This is a parish operation with same Sacred Heart Sisters providing a pastoral care. In the evening service were were asked to share our experiences so far. I was most surprised when the young 20 somethings asked me why I was "so fast". I explained the above and they were content. The next day I was the far side of Pamplona, trying to get a landscape photo of the "windmills" when another 20 something asked if he could take one of me in the foreground. When done he explained he had heard about me that morning.

That's quite a mouthful, sorry. But, in my view, it is not how many Munros you walk up but how you are prepared in all aspects that will ease you way up and your way down.

As Her Majesty says to us Scots and others of the south, Kia kaha, kia māia, kia manawanui (Be strong, be brave, be patient). To which I add Get going when you can.

Last edited:
Looking for advice from those that have walked in Scotland. I’m looking at the first day SJPdP to Roncesvalles and was wondering how it would compare to walks or Munro’s from what I can see it appears similar to Ben Nevis in height but at an easier gradient, would that be a fair summation? making it more of a long hill walk rather than a stiff mountain climb. tia 👍
Hi Paul. You've got many useful replies. Just to add to the general consensus...I based my thoughts on this 'strenuous' first day to Roncesvalles on visualisation of my ascents of Ben Nevis. In fact The Ben is a full 4400 ft vertical ascent from Ft William. The Col de Lepoeder the highest point is just 4000ft vertical absent from St Jean as it is already at a height of over 600ft above sea level. If you're a true Munro bagger, you will have no problems. Yes it is sustained and the steepest bit is the bit just before Orisson. But it was no problem at all. Keep the weight you carry to a minimum. They are nothing more than very big but very grassy rounded hills. Very little bare rock. The only evidence of being at 4600 ft above sea level was the gale force wind, despite the sunshine! Two thirds of the way you follow a road. After that the Camino is well waymarked or simply follow the others. Descent was no problem either. 16 miles through anywhere in the NW Scottish Highlands would be a much tougher proposition, believe you me.

Hi Paul. You've got many useful replies. Just to add to the general consensus...I based my thoughts on this 'strenuous' first day to Roncesvalles on visualisation of my ascents of Ben Nevis. In fact The Ben is a full 4400 ft vertical ascent from Ft William. The Col de Lepoeder the highest point is just 4000ft vertical absent from St Jean as it is already at a height of over 600ft above sea level. If you're a true Munro bagger, you will have no problems. Yes it is sustained and the steepest bit is the bit just before Orisson. But it was no problem at all. Keep the weight you carry to a minimum. They are nothing more than very big but very grassy rounded hills. Very little bare rock. The only evidence of being at 4600 ft above sea level was the gale force wind, despite the sunshine! Two thirds of the way you follow a road. After that the Camino is well waymarked or simply follow the others. Descent was no problem either. 16 miles through anywhere in the NW Scottish Highlands would be a much tougher proposition, believe you me.
Fantastic I’ve always found Munro bagging more of a mental challenge rather than physical, although my knees aren’t as good as my younger years walking, but the focus of the celebration drink at the end of each day has always made it easier, I found that when walking the CP last year that it was a similar mental challenge to walking a camino as it was to the walks I’ve done at home but I am so glad to hear advice from fellow Scots walkers because it makes the unknown tangible and removes the “what ifs” from my plans thank you all

I reckon the Great Glen Way is a worthwhile training stretch. I had three days of flat and great hills thereafter, some associated with going to loch level for a YHA, and an hour straight up to rejoin the path. If you don't think it's demanding enough, there is a higher level option once you reach the hills. And you get a spectacular walk with no repetition.

Hi, I walked this leg today. It is a 21 km climb and so much easier compared to Ben Nevis (which I climbed twice). BN is much more demanding up and down. The views though are fab here and there!

Hi, I walked this leg today. It is a 21 km climb and so much easier compared to Ben Nevis (which I climbed twice). BN is much more demanding up and down. The views though are fab here and there!
Thanks a lot that’s a great help it is more about planning ahead to give me an idea of how the stage is so I know if I’m in for an early start (guess it will be) but it lets me decide if I’m doing an extra night in SJPdP or if I would have time to look around in the morning then walk but I think I’ll do the extra I would like to see the place before I get started

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Its just as hard a slog as Ben Nevis tourist track only a lot nicer. Take plenty of water if it's a fine day

You'll be able to do it comfortably in 7 hours. Start at SjPP at 8:00 and you'll be in Roncesvalles at 15:00. That's even stopping for a coffee at the van close to the highest point.

From your description of your past challenges, you'll eat this one.

The long walk along the rough track by Loch Lomond on the West Highland Way is more difficult than the walk from SJPDP to Roncesvalles, which is arguably easier, although higher, than the hills outside Inverness on the Great Glen Way.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back