• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question of charging batteries in albergues

Storyteller Matt

Storyteller Matt
Time of past OR future Camino
I will be walking Sarria to Santiago and on to Finisterre-Muxia at the end of October. My first time on the Camino. I have a question about the albergues. I will want to charge my phone/camera every day because it has a mediocre battery. I have a charge battery for emergencies, but it will need to be charged too.

I know some pilgrim purists turn up their noses at bringing a phone, but I will need the GPS so my wife can see where I am and not worry, and I do want to chronicle this major event in my life by taking a few photos.

Will I be able to charge my device(s) at an albergue? How crowded is it to get to power sources, and is it secure enough I can leave it?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My advice, never leave anything unattended. There are all kind of people in this world, also on the camino. Charging your phone shouldn't be a problem. Most of the albergues have enough outlets.
As backup you can carry a small solar charger and hang it on your backpack during yor daily walk...

There always are power outlets available, but you never know how many candidates want to use them at the same time. Unless you happen to have a point exclusively to your bed (rarely:mad:) As far as security goes, one never knows how moments of inattention are being abused, apart from someone else unplugging your gadget in order to use the outlet. It is always good to carry a power bank as back-up and/or reduce roaming when not needed. (Airplane Mode on).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A three way plug adapter will make you many friends. Instead of one phone charging in a socket, there can be three phones charging from the same socket.

Never leave phone, or other E-device, unsecured. Always keep a eye on your property.
Especially electronic devices, money, passport, credit card, etc.

Even take such to the shower room with you in plastic bag of some sorts.

Never leave phone, or other E-device, unsecured. Always keep a eye on your property.
Especially electronic devices, money, passport, credit card, etc.

Even take such to the shower room with you in plastic bag of some sorts.

Good advice if you are traveling alone. I found traveling with family very helpful in this regard. While it may be advisable to not leave electronic devices, money, passport, credit card, etc. unsecured in the dorm, I found leaving them with someone preferable to taking them into the shower, even in a plastic bag.

Similarly, if I wanted to leave my phone or battery charging while I was going out shopping, my son never accompanied me on those trips and was available to ensure that they remained safe.

You may not be traveling with genetic family, but you may end up with others that you come to know and are willing to take the risk that they won't abscond with your stuff.

You should be fine with a little care. The availability of powerpoints varies hugely between alburgues. A lot of the newer ones have a dedicated PowerPoint to each bed, some of the older ones have hardly any. Bring a powerbank as that allows you to manage for a couple of days without access to a powerpoint. Also it's easier to leave your powerbank charging unattended than your phone. Getting to an alburgue earlier improves your chances of getting access to the PowerPoint. I bring a multihub charger as it let's more people charge at the same time.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It was very rare when I could not find a power outlet to charge my devices with, I had a multi usb plug and a 3 metre cord which was wonderful. Only once I could not charge my phone at an Albergue. as I walked off season that was easier, I never left my devices charging when I left the room as I thought that was rude to others wanting to use it. Make sure you have a good lightweight power bank with you, keep your device on Airplane mode and be amazed with your journey. Though I was not obsessive about taking the perfect picture I most definitely took a lot of photos and wish I took more.

Although I would not go as far as to advice you to leave your phone unattended I and others did so. Uptill now (in 4 years on the Camino) neither I or other people in the albergue have had their phone stolen.
I will not walk a Camino and let my behaviour be directed or influenced by feelings of distrust. For me that would be a too high price to pay.

Although I would not go as far as to advice you to leave your phone unattended I and others did so. Uptill now (in 4 years on the Camino) neither I or other people in the albergue have had their phone stolen.
I will not walk a Camino and let my behaviour be directed or influenced by feelings of distrust. For me that would be a too high price to pay.
:):):) "Trust in God, but tie up your camel."

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
GPS eats up batteries quickly. I would take two small rechargable ones (better than one large one in case of loss.) Charge those in public and use one to charge the phone at night in your sleeping bag. Try to charge the battery again before leaving in the morning.

I've never had a problem charging my phone. And a 3 meter long charging cable is one reason why. I can almost always reach an outlet with it. And I use a charger with two USB ports so that I can share. 99% of the pilgrims that I met

Like @trecile I also take a 3 metre cable.

And a universal mains charger (for UK, US, EU and NZ);
with 2 USB outlets (each capable of delivering more than 2.4 amps) and
with a universal socket on one face (so others can tap on)
Weighs about 120 gram.

And I look for a bed with a hotpoint close by
or a visble table with everything on it (and repress fire concerns)

@Storyteller Matt , I hope your wife has no cause to fret and that you do chronicle this journey of your life. Kia kaha (you take care, be strong, get going)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.