• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question on cinching down backpack

MBenny

Time of past OR future Camino
CF April-June 2018
CP from Porto April 2020
I have just received my Exos 48 and love how light it is. I know part of the light weight to the pack is the lack of straps but I am wondering how to keep from the gear puffing out the pack. The straps go around the sides of the pack but nothing goes across the front(or is it the back?) I just put in what I have begun to collect in packing squares. I feel if things puff out it would be easy for the load to shift. I have just begun so if you have ideas I can try new ways to pack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think you'll find that there won't be a whole lot of shifting once you have all your gear in the pack. The Camino isn't an aggressive mountaineering experience but rather a simple hike on flat trails and roads. The other thought that comes to mind however, is that if you have so much gear in a 48 litre pack that it puffs out, then you probably just have far too much gear. If you've pared things down as far as you can then compression bags will help keep some things under control but again, if you are carrying that much weight that it needs to be compressed to fit, 800kms is going to feel very, very long!
Buen Camino!

Thank you for your help. I guess I needed to hear just that. I am in the beginning stages of preparing and thought I was doing good. Downsizing is the first step. I will look into compression bags too

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My daughter in law used her new Exos48 on our spring Camino and she is 5'7" and only weighs 120 lbs. She loved the pack and got it xs/sm. I thought it looked fine on her and she had no problems carrying her load. Try not to worry, you will be fine!

Thank you for your help. I guess I needed to hear just that. I am in the beginning stages of preparing and thought I was doing good. Downsizing is the first step. I will look into compression bags too
I'm sure you're doing great, not an easy thing to let go of our fears and pack very light! If you haven't already, check out a fellow first-timer's packing list
First time posting anything here, but I have been lurking these forums for several months now.... he has a great list and a very usable weight. It won't be the same as yours but a good starting point for you. When your ready, feel free to post your packing list and there will be many who will offer suggestions :)
Good luck!

The Exos 48 is the perfect pack for Camino walking - I've used mine for four years now. The straps you seek are on the sides, arranged in z-fasion. A nice video explanation of all the pack features, including the compression straps, is here:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you all for your support. I think I just need to play around with how to pack it. The pack is nowhere near full just not very even. I am going to try compression bags next instead of square ones. I need to learn how to keep everything up against my back. The side straps should work. No stress just excited to be playing Pilgrim

The pack is nowhere near full just not very even. I am going to try compression bags next instead of square ones.
If you keep the long axis of your bags parallel with your spine, rather than perpendicular to it, this might help.

. I need to learn how to keep everything up against my back. /QUOTE]

There are compression straps on the shouldver straps, both at the top (near the neck) and lower down (underneath the little pouch). They make the bag stay closer to your body.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No stress just excited to be playing Pilgrim
Ah-hem! You may not be a religious or spiritual pilgrim but, if you're walking the entire route, you're not playing at anything. You have one or more reasons -- motivations -- for undertaking such a journey. It might be a good idea for you to begin considering what they are. The answer may not come to you right away; in fact, it may not come to you until you're nearing the end of your journey.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.