• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question on Packing light for late spring/early summer weath

Kathy F.

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2013, CF from Lourdes 2015, CP Porto 2022
I am planning to start my first Camino from SJPDP the end of May. From the weather topics, it seems the weather will be cold in the mountains at the start of my trip, slowly warming up over time til it becomes summer-like by the end (early July). Therefore, I plan to take fleece, several layers of thermals, gloves, and a few warm socks. But what about pants? Yes, I plan to take some :wink: but what kind? Flannel-lined rain pants? Jeans? Shorts? Quick-drys that zip off at the knees? Also, since I expect to run into rainy weather, I expect my boots will get soacked several times. What would be appropriate second shoes to bring? Sneakers/trainers? Sandals? Flip-flops?? Should I pack more for cold weather, warm weather, or all purpose layers (which may mean bringing more than I had planned for)? Thanks for any insights you can share.
Kathy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Flannel-lined rain pants? Jeans?
I would say "no" to both. The zipoff pants are great. With layers you won't have any problem with staying warm. Walking will keep your body heat up, so just stay dry, since water is the enemy of warmth. You are more likely to encounter cool weather than cold weather. When summer hits, it will be a t-shirt and shorts!

Kathy,
I started at the beginning of Apr, and while there wasn't much rain, it was still cold in the Pyrenees and on the meseta. I don't think you need 'several' layers of thermals, but you do need sensible layering. My approach was:
  • base layer of a polyprop singlet and trekking shirt,
  • middle layer - mid-weight fleece (half zip)
  • outer layer - lined goretex rain jacket.
I started most mornings with the base and middle layers, removing or adding layers as needed. On only one morning was it so cold that I had to stop and put on an outer layer for insulation. If I had needed another layer, it would have been my spare shirt or singlet (and that would have involved stripping off the outer and middle layers before being able to add anything). I was lucky it didn't come to that in the end.

I wore long johns on the first day (from SJPP) and got so hot that I had to get out of them by mid-morning. I didn't bother again, but would wear gaiters if it got windy and I wanted to protect my legs, or wore my rainpants if I needed additional protection. This allowed me to add or remove layers on the road, unlike the long johns, where one needed somewhere at least a little private to change out of them.

I prefer to trek in long trousers, and having used zip-offs for one trip, now don't. These are personal choices, and you need to make your own. Just avoid cotton if you can - a light to medium weight modern quick drying fabric would be a better choice.

If you get your layering right, the question of a seasonal focus becomes less important. Unless you are walking in the depth of winter, good layering will give you the flexibility you need while keeping your pack weight down.

Regards,

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I carry 2 pairs of light weight longjohns for nightwear but never walk in them. It is easier to wear my breathable waterproof trousers which can be removed when it warms up, unlike the longjohns. Wore the waterproofs for 3 days as windstoppers in early May, as well as for rain wear. They also help keep boots dry. Zip-offs are good, you can just rinse the bottoms if they get muddy while still wearing the rest.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.