• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question on stamps-journal stamps vs pilgrim passport

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
I should know the answer to this...
Can one use a composition notebook as a journal with days entries stamped and present it for the compostella? If so I would like my children to do this with our upcoming Camino (s).

Thanks in advance,
Neve

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why not have the albergue, bar, church, and other places stamp both of them?

Can one use a composition notebook as a journal with days entries stamped and present it for the compostela?
Stamps on supplemental sheets of paper are accepted by the Pilgrim Office, so the notebook per se is not a problem. If the stamps are intermingled with journal entries, then it is hard for the office to determine if the criteria for the compostela have been met. It would tend to waste their time when hundreds may be lined up for their compostelas. Since you need a credential to use most albergues, it might be most convenient for all involved if you got the stamps in the credential where hospitaleros are accustomed to stamping, and got some extra stamps for the journal. Do what you want, but be aware that it may be viewed as an imposition by some.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lady running the Albergue in Rabe won,t let you stay there unless you have a valid credential indicating you started in SJPDP and has stamps indicating you probably walked the entire route.

After our first Camino, I found that when I got home I could hardly remember many of the places we stopped to get Sellos (bars, cafes, restaurants, etc.). This year I'm taking an extra small Moleskine notebook, which I'll use to collect an extra sellos form each place, and I'll record the date, time and location (and photo if possible).
Purely something I'm doing for me. We'll still use the 'official' Peregrino Passport.

Lady running the Albergue in Rabe won,t let you stay there unless you have a valid credential indicating you started in SJPDP and has stamps indicating you probably walked the entire route.
If you are talking about the Albergue Libranos Domine in Rabe, that is not true. I have never started in SJPP and gave stayed in Libranos Domine. Anne

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For many years now, I have added a stamp to my entry of the day in my journal, however I would always use a Credential too. I can say, having worked in the Oficina de Peregrinos that it makes things much easier to process. Imagine a line of anxious Pilgrims lining up down the Rua de Vilar, ( which has been happening lately) and things go even slower because one of the people behind the desk has to search for a logical continuation in someone's journal! Anne

If you are talking about the Albergue Libranos Domine in Rabe, that is not true. I have never started in SJPP and gave stayed in Libranos Domine. Anne
I think the original albergue has closed. It does not appear in either Mundicamino or Eroski anymore. The owners were known for willful ways, so pilgrims stayed away from it. Libranos Domine is very pilgrim friendly.

I'm in the 'do both' camp. Each pilgrim must present a credential to stay in the albergues, AND it would be a wonderful souvenir to have stamps in their journals.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I started in Pamplona and had no problems in Rabé. I met some Canadians who had started in Burgos staying in the other albergue across the square and they had no problems either. The lady btw serves up a great dinner if you pay the extra

I have a little notebook for notes on albergues, alternative ways, random thoughts, e-mails of fellow pilgrims, museum tickets, etc. And for "non albergue" stamps, as from city halls, bars, churches, restaurants, etc. It is fun to see and show it when I came back home. So my credential does not get full; besides, I noticed that some hospitaleros frowned upon at bars and other "not serious enough" stamps.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back