• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question on the warnings for "bad section" outside Porto.

montanahiker

montanahiker
Time of past OR future Camino
future Portugal
Plan to walk my first Camino end of Sept - back surgery in June has delayed me. There were some non-specific warnings of a "bad section" out of Porto. Does anyone know what the reference is and if there is an alternate around it (not costal route). Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What bad section you mean.? Cobblestones ? Heavy traffic ? Poor way marking ?
Or do you mean the two ways out of Porto ?

One leads through an urban area with a busy infrastructure. The other one leads for 20 kms along the ocean which is advised as being the best solution.
But you could take the metro out of Porto to forum Maia and walk from there .
Coming in Vairão where is the first albergue you are al ost i. The rural area up to São Pedro de Rates. The last few days I mentioned both routes many times on this forum so Maybe you can read back a bit.

Bom caminho

What bad section you mean.? Cobblestones ? Heavy traffic ? Poor way marking ?
Or do you mean the two ways out of Porto ?

One leads through an urban area with a busy infrastructure. The other one leads for 20 kms along the ocean which is advised as being the best solution.
But you could take the metro out of Porto to forum Maia and walk from there .
Coming in Vairão where is the first albergue you are al ost i. The rural area up to São Pedro de Rates. The last few days I mentioned both routes many times on this forum so Maybe you can read back a bit.

Bom caminho

One guide book noted "bad section out of Porto" - no explanation. My question was what is mean by "bad", same as your questions to me. Is it dangerous on a person level? I want to avoid walking on sand with the back issue. Will check your other comments. Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have to say that the walk from Porto to Vilarinho was the most stressful day on the CP. I had already walked from Lisbon so was fairly seasoned. I had opted for the inland route because the weather forecast was for wind and rain which didn't encourage me to take the coastal route. There are various options out of Porto, including public transport. I chose to walk and although it was difficult , due to suburbs, industrial areas, road walking, I would always choose my own feet over transport, but totally understand that this option does not suit all pilgrims. I wrote about this stage in my blog here - take a look to get an idea of what is involved. But also do a bit of research on this forum to discover what options are available, including @peregrina2000's guide that can be found in the resources section.
Bom caminho

I have to say that the walk from Porto to Vilarinho was the most stressful day on the CP. I had already walked from Lisbon so was fairly seasoned. I had opted for the inland route because the weather forecast was for wind and rain which didn't encourage me to take the coastal route. There are various options out of Porto, including public transport. I chose to walk and although it was difficult , due to suburbs, industrial areas, road walking, I would always choose my own feet over transport, but totally understand that this option does not suit all pilgrims. I wrote about this stage in my blog here - take a look to get an idea of what is involved. But also do a bit of research on this forum to discover what options are available, including @peregrina2000's guide that can be found in the resources section.
Bom caminho
Hi Maggie we did not walk out of Porto o Vilarinho but I drove my car on those roads last year.
This year we flew to Porto and Carla, hospitaleira of the Mosteiro de Vairão picked us up at the airport. From Vairão we started our walk on the central route which ended at casa Fernanda. I prefer the coastal detour out of Porto better.
The metro from the Trindade station in Porto to Forum Maia is a good alternative to avoid the busy roadwalking out of Porto.from there it is a good walk to Vairão
Best regards
Albertinho

Bom caminho

Navigating my first alone will be interesting, especially with injuries. Enjoying your blog and can feel the fun and camaraderie of the Way in your writings. Thx.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi @Albertinho, I would definitely take the coastal route if I were to walk the camino Portuguese again. But meanwhile I think it will be El Norte for me next year.

Hi @Albertinho, I would definitely take the coastal route if I were to walk the camino Portuguese again. But meanwhile I think it will be El Norte for me next year.
El Norte. We saw a part of it, traveling to Ferrol by car last year. Very nice.
We walked the Portugese coastal from Viana do Castelo to Redondela this year.we started in Vairão to casa Fernanda -stayed there some days being hospitaleiros and moved to Viana do Castelo to walk further along the coast. Very beautiful too. Highly recommended.

@Albertinho, you are such an expert on the CP. I still find it hard to believe that you and I were both at Casa Fernanda on the same night in May last year, and we didn't realise it at the time. What a missed opportunity!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Plan to walk my first Camino end of Sept - back surgery in June has delayed me. There were some non-specific warnings of a "bad section" out of Porto. Does anyone know what the reference is and if there is an alternate around it (not costal route). Thank you.
I walked the coastal route out of Porto, flat, smooth, comfortable, no walking in the sand. Take the Metro to Matosinhos, get off at the bridge, cross the bridge and follow the arrows. Well marked all the way back to the main route in Barcelos. And yes do stay at Casa Fernanda. Bom Caminho

Happy Trails

Hi, Im planning to arrive in Porto around 7pm on the 16th, should I spend the night in Porto to take a bus/train to Valenca where I will start my Camino or go to Valenca, spend the night there and start early?

Cecy, if you have time, spend a day in Porto as it's a beautiful city.
Buen Camino, Jacki.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cecy, if you have time, spend a day in Porto as it's a beautiful city.
Buen Camino, Jacki.

That's the plan, I'm just not sure if I should do it after my walk or before...I will have 2 free days after I get to Santiago (well, that's the plan) I am going to take a bus to Finisterra after Santiago and was then going back to Porto and just spend an entire day before coming home! Then again I don't know if I should walk an extra day!! :confused:

Hi, Im planning to arrive in Porto around 7pm on the 16th, should I spend the night in Porto to take a bus/train to Valenca where I will start my Camino or go to Valenca, spend the night there and start early?
Very much enjoyed Porto, heard there is a port wine winery with tours! Walked inland route out of Porto in late Sept with no issues. Heard Costal route is very nice but some beach walking with a lot of slope under foot. Good Luck, Buen Camino!

@Albertinho, you are such an expert on the CP. I still find it hard to believe that you and I were both at Casa Fernanda on the same night in May last year, and we didn't realise it at the time. What a missed opportunity!
Late reply Maggie. :)
We just are back from our stay at Fernanda's during last Christmas and new year.
We will be back there somewhere in june 2016 , as last time we "met " you there.
We will travel again by car and caravan this time to Pamplona, walk to Burgos and than continue our trip to the Lisbon area and northwards to Fernanda to stay at a campingsite near Ponte de Lima.
Maybe we will meet next time somewhere

Best regards

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very much enjoyed Porto, heard there is a port wine winery with tours! Walked inland route out of Porto in late Sept with no issues. Heard Costal route is very nice but some beach walking with a lot of slope under foot. Good Luck, Buen Camino!
There is no beachwalking necessairy .there is a wooden boardwalk you can follow and avoid walking in the sand and climb onto a dune between Matosinhos and Vila do Conde.
Furthermore on the coastal to Vigo there was no beachwalking either.

Hi @Albertinho. I shall probably be in Santiago sometime at the end of May or early June this year after walking el Norte, Ruta do Mar and the Ingles. Haven't booked my flight yet but will probably start off around 20 April.

One day we will meet....

Hi @Albertinho. I shall probably be in Santiago sometime at the end of May or early June this year after walking el Norte, Ruta do Mar and the Ingles. Haven't booked my flight yet but will probably start off around 20 April.

One day we will meet....
Buen camino Maggie. Encontramosnos un dia. Verdad !

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Maggie we did not walk out of Porto o Vilarinho but I drove my car on those roads last year.
This year we flew to Porto and Carla, hospitaleira of the Mosteiro de Vairão picked us up at the airport. From Vairão we started our walk on the central route which ended at casa Fernanda. I prefer the coastal detour out of Porto better.
The metro from the Trindade station in Porto to Forum Maia is a good alternative to avoid the busy roadwalking out of Porto.from there it is a good walk to Vairão
Best regards
Albertinho
Can I ask a silly question can you blend the two routes as in doing some of the coastal and some of the central route as i'm undecided as many say the coastal is more beautiful but signage and accommodation not so plentiful.. Thank you

Can I ask a silly question can you blend the two routes as in doing some of the coastal and some of the central route as i'm undecided as many say the coastal is more beautiful but signage and accommodation not so plentiful.. Thank you
Yes you can. We did last year. Started in Porto (Vairão near the airport) , walked to casa da Fernanda on the central route between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima.
From Fernanda we went to Viana do Castelo .Fernanda's husband took us there and from there we walked aling the coastal to Vigo and Redondela where you are on the central route to Santiago again.

T
Yes you can. We did last year. Started in Porto (Vairão near the airport) , walked to casa da Fernanda on the central route between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima.
From Fernanda we went to Viana do Castelo .Fernanda's husband took us there and from there we walked aling the coastal to Vigo and Redondela where you are on the central route to Santiago again.
Thank you for your response. How many days did it take ? Definitely want to stay in
Casa da Fernanda. Average distance daily?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is the perfect thread for me - I have just two weeks to walk from 14th May so I thought to walk from Porto to Santiago. These recommendations are so helpful! Thank you, all.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back