• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question re. sandals

Kate Allenger

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking the Camino Frances August 29 2018!!
Hi all! I'm walking the Camino Frances at the end of August/September - I recently bought a 9 1/2 Columbia trail runner (wide) and they fit very nicely. I want to buy some Keen walking sandals also. Should I buy a size 10 or 10 1/2? I'm leaning towards the Keen H2 Newport sandal - should I keep leaning in that direction?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all! I'm walking the Camino Frances at the end of August/September - I recently bought a 9 1/2 Columbia trail runner (wide) and they fit very nicely. I want to buy some Keen walking sandals also. Should I buy a size 10 or 10 1/2? I'm leaning towards the Keen H2 Newport sandal - should I keep leaning in that direction?
It really depends on the style and manufacturer of the sandal, and whether it runs true to size or not. You'll just have to try them on to decide.

I have a wide toe box and the Keen Newport sandal does not work for me. I use the Venice H2. They have been true to size for me.

One problem: not many stores carry this style, I always mail order. And I get at the most a half size larger. But my feet don't swell much.

You do have time to check out the different styles.

Good luck and Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a wide toe box and the Keen Newport sandal does not work for me. I use the Venice H2. They have been true to size for me.

One problem: not many stores carry this style, I always mail order. And I get at the most a half size larger. But my feet don't swell much.

You do have time to check out the different styles.

Good luck and Buen Camino.
Thanks very much Priscilla

Heya. I always wear my keen Newport H2 sandals!! love them! I have really wide feet and I really don't like wearing footwear as I am always aware that I am as they are never ever truly a fit - if that makes sense?

But about five minutes after putting my H2 sandals on I am completely unaware that I am wearing footwear, they are THAT comfortable. As for sizing .. well, your feet will expand, true, I would go for the larger ... there are elastic laces so they can be tightened nicely (and loosened nicely too!) - but you really need to try them on! take a thick pair of socks (to pretend your feet have become bigger) and try them with and without the socks and then you will know.

This wide feet thing - so tricky!

YES!

I got the same Keen H2 sandals. I normally have heaps of problem with my feet and get easily blisters between my toes and other places on the feet as well. I put my hope in these ones for my next camino coming up soon. I am so happy about getting those sandals, feels great. I bought at least one size larger than my normal size (I also think they run a bit small in size?) to be sure about my toes gonna be fine :) I have been walking with them and it feels like not having any shoes on.

I now read the post by David and I agree about it all :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I LOVE my keen h2 sandals. The roomy toe box is perfect and I wear injinji toe sox so I was blister free on the CP. Since I hv a wide foot, the salesperson at REI suggested I buy the mens size since they run wider. 8.5 mens worked perfect. Good luck. Buen Camino to you

Yep go with the larger size...I didn't and ended up cutting holes in the toe area to give me more space....should have done it earlier as lost both big toe nails due to the pressure.....the learnings of the Camino!

You never buy a shoe (or sandal) based on size, you buy it based on fit. The size measurement is just to get you in the ballpark. If your feet measurements match the footwear, while wearing the socks (or not) that you plan to wear, well and good. But keep trying on sandals -- or shoes -- until you find what fits and feels right, regardless of the sizing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A Pilgrim walking the Camino needs two pair of shoes... one for walking during the day and the one for all the rest.

When you get to the Albergue you happily remove your walking Boots/Shoes and put on the other pair.

When you go for “a Drink” or Supper... you put on the other (not muddy/dusty but lighter) pair.

Many people wear the “other Shoes” into the shower.

(very important to me) I wear my “other shoes” to walk up to 40% of the Camino.
I believe that this helps to reduce the chance of Blisters.
Each shoe rubs a different place.

My “other shoes” are.... Teva Toachi 2 Hiking Sandals

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DSNEPXY/?tag=casaivar02-20

I selected these because they are as good a Hiking Boots and they breath.
Going downhill... my toes don't jam into the front (which can cause your toes to be bruised, then the toenail turns black and falls off months after you get home).

OK... to answer the question of this thread.

My second shoes (hiking sandals) are a full size bigger then normal.
I adjust the straps, so my foot fits at the back of the shoe.
This gives me a ½ inch “bumper” in front of my toes to (accidentally) kick rocks on the trail.

A Pilgrim walking the Camino needs two pair of shoes... one for walking during the day and the one for all the rest.

I disagree about the need for extra shoes :). Certainly, there are pilgrims who adopt that approach, which is fine. But I prefer to have one pair of trail runners, an extra pair of lightweight insoles, and a very lightweight shower flip flop (if I decide to carry any 'flip flops at all). My trail runners are comfortable, so I don't really need a different pair of footwear for the evening, or the extra weight.

At the end of the day, if my trail runners are dirty enough, I rinse them off; most of the time a complete rinse is not necessary... only the soles of the shoes, if that. Then, I will pull out my 'walking insoles' and set them aside to air out. The extra lightweight pair of insoles go into the shoes. A fresh pair of socks for my feet, and I am good to go for the evening. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the Camino Frances last September/October in my Keens. They were perfect! I wore one size larger than my normal shoe size.
However, I also wore lined socks - they kept blisters at bay. Brand: Wright Socks. Your feet will thank you, especially in the first few days!
My second pair of shoes were Crocs, which I clipped onto the the outside of my backpack. They were lightweight and very comfortable at the end of the day>
Buen Camino!

I bought (mens) keen newport h2 - I thought they fit - I tried them in the shop - but obviousxly not for long enough - they felt comfortable but after a few short walks they were rubbing my bunion - and there was no way the bunion was winning! I had to replace them - they are a bit narrow.

The other issue is that once you get a stone in them you have to remove them to get the stone out as they are quiet closed in. The toe protection is nice - but I think I'll go back to a normal Teva as with those you can just get stones out by kicking your foot

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.