• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question re walking the Portuguese Camino again :)

JackyG

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Way September 2017.
French Way May 2018.
Planning some sort of camino for Sep 2019..
Hi all, I walked the Portuguese in May 2017 from Porto and now have some time I can take in August (about 3 weeks), but because it has to be in August I'm thinking maybe I should not doing the Frances camino at that time cos it might be mobbed? I did it in September 2018 and was busy enough.. My question is, for those who've done the Portuguese in last few years, has it changed much? One thing I wasn't wild about was a stretch between Porto and SDC in the middle (can't remember the name) that was just long (dangerous) roads with no shade.. There was talk at the time (I haven't been here in a while!) about adding to the route (being able to come in off the road).

Basically trying to figure out which would be best crowds wise as well as scenery wise in August, I think this might be a busy one this year! :)

Thanks in advance.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Look at taking the Variant,,,Spirtiual Way,,, I walked it few years ago, very nice

Stone and Water: Walking the Spiritual Variant of the Camino Portuguese Paperback – May 16, 2017​

by Mr Roy Uprichard (Author)

Might I suggest the Norte or walking from Le Puy and getting as far as you can in 3 weeks. There is not much road walking on either of these routes but August is the month most people in Europe take their vacation.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi all, I walked the Portuguese in May 2017 from Porto and now have some time I can take in August (about 3 weeks), but because it has to be in August I'm thinking maybe I should not doing the Frances camino at that time cos it might be mobbed? I did it in September 2018 and was busy enough.. My question is, for those who've done the Portuguese in last few years, has it changed much? One thing I wasn't wild about was a stretch between Porto and SDC in the middle (can't remember the name) that was just long (dangerous) roads with no shade.. There was talk at the time (I haven't been here in a while!) about adding to the route (being able to come in off the road).

Basically trying to figure out which would be best crowds wise as well as scenery wise in August, I think this might be a busy one this year! :)

Thanks in advance.
Hi Jacky, I walked the Portuguese Camino in October 2019. I'm doing it again now with a few changes. Stayed in Porto 2 nights with lots of walking around the city then took train to Braga. Stayed 2 nights in Braga. One day to visit Bom Jesus de Monte where I got Pilgrim credential stamped to mark the beginning of this Camino. Took a bus to Braga where the walking in earnest will begin. I recommend this plan as it has been a very pleasant way to start out. I stayed at inBraga Hostel . Close to everything and very helpful host.
Bom Jesus de Monte was amazing in every way

Have been considering to walk in Portugal as well, but this time something more fresh, like from Porto to Braga and Geira e dos Arrieiros then. Should be good for 2 weeks perhaps?
Would be nice to synchronize with Festa da Istoria in Ribadavia what would serve as an argument to my wifey to join 😏

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We, too, walked the CP in 2017. We’ll be back in Porto in less than two weeks. This time we’re taking the Coastal Route including the Variante Espiritual. After a couple days in SdC we’ll walk to Muxía. With a couple nights in Porto and then a couple at the end of the trip in Madrid, we’ve got pretty much filled up three weeks.

We, too, walked the CP in 2017. We’ll be back in Porto in less than two weeks. This time we’re taking the Coastal Route including the Variante Espiritual. After a couple days in SdC we’ll walk to Muxía. With a couple nights in Porto and then a couple at the end of the trip in Madrid, we’ve got pretty much filled up three weeks.
Lovely! I walked from Porto alone the coast to Rates then went inland, that's a really good idea to walk on to Muxia actually I hadn't thought of that! Thanks :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do the Coastal/Senda Litoral routes! It is different experience all together! Go to the link and you can see how it is different and the photos will help you see what it would be like. I LOVED it!
Thanks a mill, I walked coastal to Rates but then went in, so will check out the link and the photos, think would be better option than doing Frances in August..be crazy I think! :D

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back