• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question regarding albergues

crhutch

Time of past OR future Camino
(2010) March/April SJPP to Santiago and hence to Finisterre
(2016) Hospitalero Grañón 15-31 March
(2016) April Logroño to Santiago
(2017) Hospitalero Zamora 15-31 March
(2017) Hospilatero Emaus, Burgos 1-14 April
What happens when you find all the albergues filled and you can’t find a bed? :shock: I am interested in people are doing in these situations. I plan to do the camino in 2010 and this truly worries me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
there are many things you can do:
1) check at the local hostals and hotels
2) go to the ayuntamiento and ask them what to do. When the albergue is full they sometimes open up the sports hall, medical clinic, schoolhouse, jail, or garage for pilgrims´use.
3) go to the parish office. Sometimes they know of places you can sleep.
4) Ask a policeman.
5) Ask a bartender.
6) Ask the old folks sitting on the bench in the plaza.
7) Sleep on the church porch.
8)Sleep under the bridge.
9)Sleep in a haystack, or out in a field under the stars.
10) Keep going to the next village and try your luck there.
11) Hire a cab and ask him to take you to a place to sleep.

Some of these may get you a place to sleep on the floor. You may not be comfortable, but you´ll likely be out of the weather. I slept in a haystack one night, and a jail cell another time. Somehow I did not die. And it gave me stories to tell later!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Crhutch,

As you see in the answer of Rebekah................ plenty of possibilities. Don't want to be rude but ........ now already worrying about 2010 ??? :mrgreen:
Once you've started to walk you will notice that you can leave behind you all that you worries in advance.......... but that is a bit difficult to explain for me in good English, as a Dutchman.
But.... don't worry!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think I would also be worried if I was walking in 2010 - the last Holy Year for 11 years - with estimates of over 225 000 people walking the camino!
How busy it will be could depend on the route you are walking, and perhaps to a lesser extent, the month. But I would suggest you take a bivy-bag with you. There are really nice, ultralight ones now that are like sleeping bags-cum-tents and should you have to sleep outdoors, or on a church porch, at least you'll be cosy and private.

Jail cells are not that bad. And, except for Chicago (where I spent a night) they tend to be mostly empty and available. They have clean cots, an in room toilet and a sign-in register on the wall. You can see out in many directions..so a thief can't sneak up on you...thought he may become your roommate.

In truth, many municipalities will offer any space available to pilgrims on the Way.

I, personally, love the out doors...and given a balmy night under the stars...or a crowded room and nothing but the floor...it's twinkle, twinkle for me.

Buen hey...that's my soap Camino
Arn

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back