• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question regarding train travel from Biarritz to SJPP

Jorge Sosa

Hello everyone!

First post from a longtime lurker. Before my inquiry, I'd like to comment on how truly helpful this forum has been for researching our trip. We (my girlfriend, her mother, her roommate, and I) will be arriving (tentatively) in Biarritz at 5:45 pm-ish on June 20th, 2014. I have already looked into the private shuttle/taxi services from Biarritz to SJPP but I wanted to get some clarification on our train options.

Using http://www.voyages-sncf.com/ and Google Translate (parts of the website fails to translate automatically), I see that our only possible train after we arrive at 6pm is departing at 19h51 on the 20th. With our specific traveller information, the website states "30.80 euros prix total pour 4 passager" - Am I correct in my assumption that this means 30.80 for ALL FOUR passengers?

Could any of you whom are more familiar with that website verify my assumptions or correct me if I'm wrong? This particular train is from Biarritz Gare to Bayonne (NEEDS reservation due to it being an overnight train) and then from Bayonne to SJPP (does not need a reservation). If that's the case, how do I go about reserving the 4 spots?

Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone!

First post from a longtime lurker. Before my inquiry, I'd like to comment on how truly helpful this forum has been for researching our trip. We (my girlfriend, her mother, her roommate, and I) will be arriving (tentatively) in Biarritz at 5:45 pm-ish on June 20th, 2014. I have already looked into the private shuttle/taxi services from Biarritz to SJPP but I wanted to get some clarification on our train options.

Using http://www.voyages-sncf.com/ and Google Translate (parts of the website fails to translate automatically), I see that our only possible train after we arrive at 6pm is departing at 19h51 on the 20th. With our specific traveller information, the website states "30.80 euros prix total pour 4 passager" - Am I correct in my assumption that this means 30.80 for ALL FOUR passengers?

Could any of you whom are more familiar with that website verify my assumptions or correct me if I'm wrong? This particular train is from Biarritz Gare to Bayonne (NEEDS reservation due to it being an overnight train) and then from Bayonne to SJPP (does not need a reservation). If that's the case, how do I go about reserving the 4 spots?

Thank you.
Hi.

Its a bit hard to understand your question ? Are you arriving in Biarritz by train? the distance from Biarritz Gare to Bayonne Gare is not great approx ten Kilometres, ? The train from Bayonne Gare to SJPP does not need reservation normally it is 10 euro per person one way, if you are in Biarritz centre get the 14 bus to Bayonne Gare from Rue de Larralde beside the taxi ranks (Make sure to ask driver are they going to Bayonne gare) hope this helps

Buen Camino

Assuming you are arriving Biarritz airport ...

Intercites and TGV trains from Gare Biarritz to Gare Bayonne require a reservation. It is not possible to reserve a seat on TER trains.

I get 30.80 euro for 4 if you board the 1951 train at Biarritz and transfer at Bayonne. A neat trick; the ticket on SNCF TER #62 from Bayonne to SJPdP normally costs 9.80 euros each.

Reserve the seats on the Intercites train when you purchase your tickets.

The usual way is to take #14 bus from airport doors to Gare Bayonne and catch the SNCF TER train to SJPdP.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Forget about train Biarritz-Bayonne. As MickMac said, take a bus (stop just outside the airport) or, better, a taxi (you are four, so it will not be expensive).
Yep, the single ticket Bayonne-SJPP is about 10e. So, you are getting a "pas cher" (good) one. About SNCF webpage, see the little key on the upper, right corner, with linguistic options.
Attention! Currently these train services are marked as "autocar" (bus). This probably means there is some problem with the rails, so they provide a bus, leaving from the station, instead. No problem for you, it is the same thing, just follow the other passengers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This post discusses how to get from Biarritz Airport to Saint Jean Pied de Port (SJPdP)

Biarritz Airport is the closest airport to SJPdP.

Biarritz Aiport (BIQ)
http://www.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

Chronoplus #14 from Airport to Gare de Bayonne
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

SNCF TER Aquitaine. Train service from Gare de Bayonne to SJPdP #62. Sometimes train service is replaced by a bus that operates on the same schedule with the same stops using the same tickets.
http://www.ter-sncf.com/regions/aquitaine/fr/default.aspx

Transport64 - Bus service from Gare de Bayonne to St Palais #811. St Palais to SJPdP #810.
http://www.transports64.fr/transports-64?lang=fr

Express Bourricot, based in SJPdP, offers 'person transportation' service to and from Biarritz Airport as well as any other location in the region. This service is essentially a private hire taxi and must be arranged in advance. The cost goes down as the number of passengers goes up.
http://www.expressbourricot.com/

Thank you, Meredith. So this is what I have gathered is our best option. Take the # 14 bus from Biarritz to Bayonne (What's the frequency on that after 6pm? Do you know the travel time to Bayonne and cost per person?) and from Bayonne jump on the "21.10/arrives 22.28/Friday, Sunday and holidays, is bus until 2 Feb" TER to SJPP?

For the Chronplus bus from Biarritz Anglet airport to Bayonne Gare SNCF this Biarritz aeroport web cites an approximately 30 min trip and cost of 1 or 2 euros.

Gare SNCF via Chronoplus
chronoplus.jpg

La gare de Biarritz La Negresse est desservie par la ligne C des transports urbains Chronoplus. La durée du trajet est d’environ 6 minutes. Vous pouvez également vous rendre à la gare de Bayonne avec la ligne 14 Chronoplus. La durée du trajet est d’environ 30 minutes. Pour plus de renseignements, vous pouvez consulter le site internet de Chronoplus

Destination Du lundi au dimanche Ticket valable 1h00 Ticket valable 24h00
Aéroport-Gare de Biarritz Chronoplus C 1€ 2€
Aéroport-Gare de Bayonne Chronoplus n°14 1€ 2€

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The train between Bayonne and SJPP is not running at present because of an avalanche caused by heavy rains in March, which blocked the line. The trains have been replaced with a bus service until further notice:
http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/aquitaine/Fr/Etat_du_trafic/Default.aspx?tab=EDTPAGEPERT

Here's the timetable for the replacement bus service from Bayonne to SJPP. The departure times are the same as the trains they have replaced, and only take five minutes longer (85 instead of 80) to get to SJPP:
http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/...ies_jeu_27_mars_nouvel_avis_tcm-11-101460.pdf

I purchased train tickets from Biarritz to SJPP before the landslide. I'm presuming if rail service has not been restored by September then they will be valid for a bus instead?

Has anyone experienced this yet?

I purchased train tickets from Biarritz to SJPP before the landslide. I'm presuming if rail service has not been restored by September then they will be valid for a bus instead?

Has anyone experienced this yet?

Yes the tickets are valid for either mode of transport in use on the date stamped on the ticket. If unused they are also valid for 60 days following that date. Hopefully by September the landslide will be repaired.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes the tickets are valid for either mode of transport in use on the date stamped on the ticket. If unused they are also valid for 60 days following that date. Hopefully by September the landslide will be repaired.
I have the impression with all of the other pressing business facing SNCF down here right now, clearing the track to SJPdP is not a priority. Yesterday they discovered the newest Alstom coaches are too wide for many of the Auquainte stations.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back