Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Questioning the wisdom of bringing mosquito netting

amyshmn

Past OR future Camino
1 week Portugal route - 2016
Full French route - 2021
Hello,
I'll be on the Camino from late September thru early November. I've been getting ready with daily hikes, yesterday's resulting in 20+ mosquito bites. There's just something about me which attracts them. I've read posts from people noting that the auberge windows are sometimes left open, and I'm concerned about being a midnight snack for the mosquitos. Are mosquitos a concern for that time of year? I don't want to sleep with bug spray on my skin, so the netting seems like a good alternative. I've looked at mosquito nets and found this one which I'm considering (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKB2OS/?tag=casaivar02-20) but I'm not sure if the auberge beds have bed posts or something for me to tie off the 4-corners of the netting. I welcome everyone's thoughts. Thank you!!

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

andycohn

Past OR future Camino
CF (12-15); Muxia (15); Portuguese, Primitivo (17); Norte, Ingles, VF partial (18), Le Puy (19)
I've done four caminos during that time period, and while I'm also prone to get bitten by mosquitos, I've never gotten bitten on a camino in Spain. Nor have I heard of anyone having mosquito problems during that time period.

Don't pack your fears! Leave it home.

ranthr

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
Bring a small headnet to put over your head if needed. This can do against flies in daytime if you meet hords of them as well as mosquitos or bedbugs during the night. Cover the rest of your body in your sleepingbag. It´s often cold nights in the albergues at that time of the year.

A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.
Learn Spanish for the Camino
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
Hello,
I'll be on the Camino from late September thru early November. I've been getting ready with daily hikes, yesterday's resulting in 20+ mosquito bites. There's just something about me which attracts them. I've read posts from people noting that the auberge windows are sometimes left open, and I'm concerned about being a midnight snack for the mosquitos. Are mosquitos a concern for that time of year? I don't want to sleep with bug spray on my skin, so the netting seems like a good alternative. I've looked at mosquito nets and found this one which I'm considering (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKB2OS/?tag=casaivar02-20) but I'm not sure if the auberge beds have bed posts or something for me to tie off the 4-corners of the netting. I welcome everyone's thoughts. Thank you!!
Not necessary in my experience. I often react to mozzie bites nor have never had an issue in northern Spain.

Coastal north Portugal on the other hand …

Past OR future Camino
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
You will not need the netting.

20+!!

I spray Peg with DEET before our walks and then watch the cloud of mosquitoes around her (but not biting). I carry the DEET with me, just in case, but I haven't been using it. I just swat the occasional mosquito that strays from Peg.

philmickm

Past OR future Camino
first one Aug/Sept '18
Hi, I walked the CF in Aug/Sep 2018 and don’t recall any mosquito issue at all.
(1 bed bug sighted though)
Buen Camino,
Phil

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Marbe2

Past OR future Camino
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
I may have gotten a mosquito bite early in Sep…but not many, Assuming you are on the CF and not in the South of Spain, nights will get quite cold and the mosquito population won’t be your main predator. If you are not knowledgeable about recognizing, and protecting yourself from Bed Bugs, Doing such research on the search engine here might bear more fruit for your journey!

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
I just bought some yesterday. I am a magnet for mosquito's

good_old_shoes

Past OR future Camino
Francés ('15, '19)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Trier-Nancy + Le Puy-Fisterra ('17)
Aragonés ('18)
I am a mosquito magnet and never had a problem on any Camino so far, spring and summer. But you might want to think about the bed bugs... I just made a bed bug net tent for my next Camino. It's like a tiny tent to put up in a lower bunk and can be hung from the upper one. Different to a normal mosquito net it can be zipped up completely and has a very tight netting, the kind you'd use against Scottish midges. If you want to bring anything, something like that might be the way to go!

jsalt

Jill
Past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
I just made a bed bug net tent for my next Camino.
Wow, a Bed Bug Net Tent – could you post a picture? I think you could be onto something big here 😃.

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
2016, 2017, 2019 Camino Frances
Hello,
I've encountered flies and bed bugs - but not mosquitos

ranthr

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
There were a lot of mosquitos at the albergue at Embalse de Encantara when I stayed there on my VdLP. Many people were bitten and thought they had been bitten by bedbugs, but since I live in the north of Norway with lot of mosquitos during summer, I heard the sound of them, put my bedbugsheet over my head and wasnot bitten. But they were mosquitos!

Charles Zammit

Past OR future Camino
St Jean Pied de Port - Finisterra 2017
GR70 France 2018
Via Francigena 2019
Eating bananas will attract mosquitoes. It sounds a little like a folk tale however it is based on research. Ethylene gas and associated esters from the fruit are irresistible to the biting horrors .
Reduce consumption and you may become less attractive !

backpack45

Past OR future Camino
Vezelay (2017, in progress); Primitivo & Norte; Geneva/LePuy; Arles; Portuguese; Francés + more
I have been going to Camino since 2005 and not once have I been bitten by a mosquito - France now, that is another matter :(
We have hiked the Vezelay, Arles, and LePuy route (actually from Geneva) and I don't remember even seeing a mosquito there. Did see some on the Norte when we stayed by a lake.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances (2015); Aragones-Frances (2016); VdlP-Sanabres (2017); Madrid-Frances-Invierno (2019)Levante
I have walked my previous caminos in the fall and never saw a mosquito. But on one fall camino I was swarmed for several days by flies, which crawled over my face. Now I take a head net, very light, to keep any crawling creatures from swarming over my face.

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Eating bananas will attract mosquitoes. It sounds a little like a folk tale however it is based on research. Ethylene gas and associated esters from the fruit are irresistible to the biting horrors .
Reduce consumption and you may become less attractive !
Hmm, I never eat bananas, but my husband does. Guess who the mosquitoes like? Clue - it's not my husband!🦟

Last edited:

dick bird

Past OR future Camino
Plata, Ingles, Madrid, Norte, Primitivo, Invierno, Aragones, Olvidado, Chemin D'Arles
I've used a mosquito net (though not on the camino). You need something to hang it from. This would be difficult in an albergue and well-nigh impossible in a hotel room. At that time of year, there shouldn't be too many mosquitoes and to the best of my knowledge there are no mosquito-borne diseases endemic to Spain.

It may also be that you don't so much attract mosquitoes as react to their bites more than other people, so a product like Stingose or Anthisan might help.

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Hello,

I do not remember mosquitoes being a problem. That said, if bringing a net will make your Camino more comfortable, go for it. The weight will not be a problem. ;-)

Doughnut NZ

From Aotearoa New Zealand
Past OR future Camino
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Learn Spanish for the Camino
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.

Walking Lover

Past OR future Camino
CdS from Leon to Santiago, June 16, 2016 to June 30, 2016.
Hello,
4 caminos and not one mosquito bite

Kanga

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
20 years of walking in Spain and I've never been bitten by a mosquito. Bedbugs, yes, definitely!

good_old_shoes

Past OR future Camino
Francés ('15, '19)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Aragonés ('18)
@jsalt I don't have a bunk bed at home to hang it from 🙈 but I'll try to make a photo somehow, later. It's like a small one man tent but mostly netting. Since I have been bitten by bed bugs badly every time I walked the Frances and even needed a doctor because of it, I was looking for a solution for the next time. Saw something like that one day in an albergue and loved the idea. The girl who had it said it worked well. I was jealous, lol! Now I have my own. I plan to also soak it in permethrin before I go and keep it in a seperate air tight bag in the backpack.

good_old_shoes

Past OR future Camino
Francés ('15, '19)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Aragonés ('18)
@jsalt Here's my bed bug tent, as promised. Improvised to put it up in the garden with two chairs and four tent pegs, no bunk beds here ;-) It's intended to be hung from the upper bunk though, and can be fixed to the mattress with elastics. It's made from an old, non-waterproof, very cheap one person tent. Shortened it and made it more narrow to fit a standard albergue bed, also cut out a lot of fabric and replaced it with very fine insect mesh. Added a side entrance. Not sure about weight, maybe about 400 grams or so?

Attachments

• IMG_5279.JPG
    IMG_5279.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 24

jsalt

Jill
Past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Here's my bed bug tent, as promised
Fabulous! I think I will try and make something similar from a spare free-standing mosquito net tent that I have (useful in Africa). We are still in lockdown (like the Australians), so it will give me something to do before I can go on my next camino.

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads