• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions about Caminho from Lisbon

Lisa Erickson

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2017)
Hello fellow traveler! So I just returned home from walking the Frances route & loved it so much that I have decided to walk the Portuguese Camino next month. :)

Two quick questions to start with:

1) Seeing that the terrain is to be relatively flat in comparison to Frances route, do you think it is reasonable to forgo the need of bringing along hiking poles for the Portuguese trek?

2) I am hoping to divvy up the first day of walking from Lisbon to Alverca. Any recommendations for lodging somewhere in between? It seems to be pretty minimal pickings out there. I would prefer to keep it 15-20 km to start off with than Brierley's recommended 32.2 km for the first day of walking.

Thank you kindly in advance!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Lisa
I was very glad of my hiking poles on the Portuguese - there are always hills on any route and I found the poles helped on the hard surfaces ... and they also kept the multitude of small but feisty dogs at bay :). I stayed at the albergue in Alpriate after my first day out of Lisbon - very simple, very nice.
Bom Caminho!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Lisa
I was very glad of my hiking poles on the Portuguese - there are always hills on any route and I found the poles helped on the hard surfaces ... and they also kept the multitude of small but feisty dogs at bay :). I stayed at the albergue in Alpriate after my first day out of Lisbon - very simple, very nice.
Bom Caminho!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you on both accounts, Levi! I must admit - I am in such a quandary about the poles as I absent-mindedly tend to forget my sticks way too often whenever at a bar or cafe. Lol so much so that I am now several less hundreds wealthier now due to this!! :/ So I was hoping to forgo the hassle. But now I shall have to reconsider!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you very much wisepilgrim. Your links were of great value as I was able to send a request for reservation through the second one, whereas I was having difficulty doing so before.

Now may I be pesky enough to inquire about Alverca? From what I can understand the availability here (as far as alberques go) are something like 2 km away? Would this understanding be correct?

Lastly! I know on the Frances route that alberques could be decided upon last minute. Or at least certainly just the day before w using booking.com Is the Portuguese route a Camino I can just "wing" as I walk along or should my lodging all be asituated before leaving home?

Much thanks in advance!

Lisa, I walked the Portuguese from Oporto, with walking poles. I always use them. I need them. We did not book ahead, except for Santiago. Wishing you well, and a safe and happy peregrina experience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lisa, I just saw that your thread was very enigmatically entitled "K". On the theory that you didn't intend to be so mysterious, I changed it to reflect your questions. If I was wrong to do that, let me know.

With regard to advance reservations, I really don't think it'll be necessary till you get north of Porto. And I don't think it's necessary to go off caminho near Alverca (I think the actual place to stay is in Verdelha something or other). Check out this other thread. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/public-albergue-in-azambuja.29375/#post-534479 Bom caminho, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back